Hughesnet Community

Cannot access epicgames.com website with Hughesnet, but I can with my cellular hotspot.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darrin.simon
Sophomore

Cannot access epicgames.com website with Hughesnet, but I can with my cellular hotspot.

All websites are accessible except for Epic games?

https://status.epicgames.com/

https://www.epicgames.com

I cannot access these sites using my Hughesnet connection, all other websites are accessible using Hughesnet. After much troubleshooting, I used my cellular hotspot to connect to the internet and disabled my network adapter. Doing that allows access, can you see why I can't connect using the Hughesnet network?

8 REPLIES 8
darrin.simon
Sophomore

UPDATE: Epicgames.com website is now working as intended, not sure why it would not earlier.

darrin.simon
Sophomore

And it is no longer accessible again via Hughesnet, still works fine through my cellular hotspot.

The DNS entry is probably hosed either to a poor connection to the modem or multiple errant resends.

If you reboot your modem it may clear it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
darrin.simon
Sophomore

Rebooting the modem usually fixes it, but after power cycling it twice it still would not connect. I can access it through my hotspot just fine, so the Hughesnet connection is definitely at fault. If I open a command prompt and type "nslookup epicgames.com" (without the quotes) it does not resolve to an IP address. When I am connected to my hotspot, it resolves just fine and my game launcher logs me on without a connection error.

I have already cleared the DNS cache with command of "ipconfig /flushdns" . 

I just tried and I am able to connect again, I haven't rebooted the modem or made any changes, so it fixed itself again. Something is going on with Hughesnet DNS.

It's not HughesNet's DNS because I was able to reach the site using their default DNS.

Each device retains a local, more immediate DNS as these things propagate across the network. It's more likely that the issue was cleared when you ran ipconfig and flushed it, and it just needed to re-propagate.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I am using their default DNS too. I did all of the troubleshooting yesterday, and that's when I flushed the cache. When it wouldn't connect again this AM, I went straight to changing my internet connection via my hotspot. It connects immediately after that. Then I re-enable my ethernet connection and disconnect my hotspot and hit refresh, and it times out. You were able to connect to the site because it started working again on its own. It is an intermittent problem it seems, happened 2 mornings in a row. I like to start all of my game launchers first this thing the AM so if there are any updates they will download during the bonus period instead of the regular daytime. Steam and Ubisoft connected without issue, it's only Epic that gives trouble, says connection error.

Ok. Whatever you want to think. It works now, so it doesn't matter.

darrin.simon
Sophomore

It worked fine this AM, hoping it stays that way.