Complimentary Tokens

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeorgeFerguson
Sophomore

Complimentary Tokens

Hi all.  Has Hughesnet done away with the free monthly 500MB tokens? I ask because I haven't seen it on the Hughesnet usage meter for a couple of months now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

At least as of last month, I was still getting a 500mb complimentary token every month. I also noticed with the advent of GEN 5 purchasing tokens are a better deal. 

Notice the difference on my just just received bill of tokens bought a couple weeks ago and tokens bought a couple days ago:

IMG_6183.PNG

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Those tokens haven't really existed for a long, long time.  Gen3 (HN9000 Legacy plans) had the complimentary tokens, but the Gen4 launch mostly did away with that unless special circumstances arose to get a Gen3 user to switch to Gen4.

Sorry to say, the complimentary tokens just don't exist anymore, the original intent was to reset the daily allowance once per month for free, but Hughes has since gone to a monthly refill and set token data to different amounts of data depending on purchase price.

Hi Corrosive and thank you for the reply. I think you are mistaken when you say the complimentary tokens haven't been around for a long long time. I've been with Hughesnet for a couple of years now and they were available up until around December last year, I know this because I used one back then.

I find it somewhat amusing that Hughesnet has data caps to keep bandwidth usage all nice and fair but they somehow have the extra data to sell us if we need it. Sounds like a bit of a money grab to me.

When you say "Generation 3" do you mean the HN9000 series? If you do then my question still stands, what happen to the complimentary tokens? The HN9000 is what I have.

I have been a Hughes subscriber for about 13 years.

Corrosive is correct in that usually the free monthly Token is a thing of the past ... a relic of the daily refill days.

In some rare cases a few users may still get one, depending upon what was negotiated at the time of the upgrade from old to new.

As to bandwidth available for Token sales, capacity is going to vary greatly by platform and beam. Rather like the airlines selling more seats than they have knowing there will be some no-shows. Only a certain percentage of users will wish to purchase tokens in any event.

Hi Gwalk and thank you for the reply. As you can see from my reply to Corrosive I am still on the daily refill plan and complimentary tokens were available up until December (ish) last year but then they suddenly stopped.

When talking about buying tokens, and with respect, how would you know how many people rarely buy tokens? Do you work for Hughesnet?

No one seems to be answering my question. How is it that I have tokens when I haven't bought any? I've been a subscriber since 10/18 and upgraded 12/18. Please email me re: this. susantchokreff@gmail.com

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@susantchokreff

To keep your question separate, please start a new post, which you can do here...  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

Also, you shoud never post your email address in public.  I advise you to edit your email address out of your post.  

GabeU

@GeorgeFerguson wrote:

I find it somewhat amusing that Hughesnet has data caps to keep bandwidth usage all nice and fair but they somehow have the extra data to sell us if we need it. Sounds like a bit of a money grab to me.

The amount of data given by a token and unlimited data are two entirely different things.  People buying and using a token every now and again isn't enough to offset the balance of the system, whereas no data caps would slow the system to an absolute crawl for everyone, and the reason for this is that the number one thing people use unlimited data for is streaming.  Think of a million cars a day trying to drive down a highway designed for fifty thousand.  Fifty one thousand (that extra one thousand being the tokens people buy and use) doesn't make much of an impact, but a million would.  

The data caps are necessary, even with the newly increased capacity brought about by the J2 satellite.  

Looks to me like you have contradicted just about everything Hughesnet claims on their television advertising, especially the part about streaming.

GabeU

@GeorgeFerguson wrote:

Looks to me like you have contradicted just about everything Hughesnet claims on their television advertising, especially the part about streaming.

Not in the least bit.  Streaming can be done with Hughesnet, but conservatively.  

I just finished watching the Hughesnet advertisment, the one they show on television. Not once do they mention streaming "conservatively". Plenty waffle about great streaming but no mention of having to do it "conservatively".

GabeU

You choose a plan that has a finite amount of data.  A finite amount of data means it is not unlimited data.  Unlimited data means you can't stream in an unlimited fashion.  

"Great Streaming" does not mean unlimited streaming, and the term "great" is relative.  There are many who stream and it's "great" for them.  

Adding attributes to ads that aren't stated is not an excuse for one not doing their own homework before they purchase a product or sign a contract.   

Do you work for Hughesnet?

GabeU

No, I don't work for Hughesnet.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I also am not a Hughes employee.

As for advertising, all advertising needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Streaming video is very data intensive. Common sense dictates that if you have a limited data supply you must keep a close eye on the fuel gauge.

As to your Token issue .... Spaceway-3 (HN9000) on a daily refill plan should still be getting a free monthly token worth 500 MB.

Monthly plans do not.

You can call customer support and inquire or wait for the forum Mods to return to work on Monday. I advise waiting for the Mods. They are at the corporate level and will be better able to address your issue.

At least as of last month, I was still getting a 500mb complimentary token every month. I also noticed with the advent of GEN 5 purchasing tokens are a better deal. 

Notice the difference on my just just received bill of tokens bought a couple weeks ago and tokens bought a couple days ago:

IMG_6183.PNG