Create a Hidden Network

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ckroether
New Poster

Create a Hidden Network

I want to make our home network 'hidden' so it does not broadcast its existence. How? Customer support says: "Our records indicate that our networks have to be visible for out customers to access the WiFi, but if you wish what you can do is turn off a certain network if you wanted. You can also change the name if you would like. You would have to access the following IP address which is 192.168.0.1 and you will get a HughesNet web page. Then you will need to Click on WiFi settings and your password will be admin . You will the have access to your WiFi settings. " I figured out how to get to the IP, but the password 'admin' does not work. I do not know what to do next and don't think customer support does either Thanks, Cyndi

Update:  I did as you said - I found out the password did not work because I was not connected directly to the modem.  -  Connected directly and followed instructions - my Surface 2, Amazon Fire and old laptop would connect but desktops would not.  Reconnected, changed back to broadcasting, same status (Surface 2, Amazon Fire & old laptop [running Windows 8, I think, or previous to that] all connect)  Desktops running Windows 10 do not.  By thw way, my Surface 2 is also running Windows 10.  Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarkJFine
Professor

The person you spoke to has no idea what they're talking about because it wasn't on their script.

Here's how you do it:

1. Important: I would find a laptop that you can wire in with a lan cable in case things go bad.

2. Go to http://192.168.42.1 on the laptop and log into the wifi settings (unless that IP's changed on your setup).

3. Make sure you jot down your wifi info for DHCP, particulalrly:
 a. The wifi net name (whatever you have it set at - each band 2.4, 5, 2.4Guest, 5Guest will have different net names)

b. The subnet mask (usually 255.255.255.0)

c. Router IP: (usually 192.168.42.1 if the same as in #2)

4. In the Wifi Settings box:

a. click on 2.4GHz, then uncheck SSID Broadcast.

b. Repeat for the 2.4GHz Guest
  c. Repeat for the 5GHz
  d. Repeat for the 5GHz Guest
5. Double check everything on the 2.4/5GHz w/wo Guest tabs, then click Save Settings.
Voila... no one will be able to see your network on their list.

Edit: Oh... make sure you test it before you disconnect your wired laptop.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MarkJFine
Professor

The person you spoke to has no idea what they're talking about because it wasn't on their script.

Here's how you do it:

1. Important: I would find a laptop that you can wire in with a lan cable in case things go bad.

2. Go to http://192.168.42.1 on the laptop and log into the wifi settings (unless that IP's changed on your setup).

3. Make sure you jot down your wifi info for DHCP, particulalrly:
 a. The wifi net name (whatever you have it set at - each band 2.4, 5, 2.4Guest, 5Guest will have different net names)

b. The subnet mask (usually 255.255.255.0)

c. Router IP: (usually 192.168.42.1 if the same as in #2)

c. Repeat for the 5GHz
5. Double check everything on the 2.4/5GHz w/wo Guest tabs, then click Save Settings.

Edit: Oh... make sure you test it before you disconnect your wired laptop.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine wrote: 

c. Repeat for the 5GHz

If it's anything like mine, you have to click Save Settings after unchecking each one individually, as changing to the next radio before clicking Save Settings will undo the uncheck for the previous radio.  I can't uncheck all four, then click Save Settings, as the settings change will only save for the last one (5 Guest).  So, uncheck SSID Broadcast for the 2.4Ghz radio, then click Save Settings, then do the same for each of the other three radios, in the same way.  

@ckroether wrote:
  .......................................................... I figured out how to get to the IP, but the password 'admin' does not work. I do not know what to do next and don't think customer support does either Thanks, Cyndi

Sounds like the modem password has been changed.  To get back to the "admin" password press the reset button on the back of the modem for 10 seconds. 

By "hidden", I'm assuming you mean that it still works, but nobody else except you can see it.   You can turn it off from the wifi settings. but that's not really "hidden".  I would just password protect it and not worry about who could see it. 

@gaines_wright wrote:

@ckroether wrote:
  .......................................................... I figured out how to get to the IP, but the password 'admin' does not work. I do not know what to do next and don't think customer support does either Thanks, Cyndi

Sounds like the modem password has been changed.  To get back to the "admin" password press the reset button on the back of the modem for 10 seconds. 

By "hidden", I'm assuming you mean that it still works, but nobody else except you can see it.   You can turn it off from the wifi settings. but that's not really "hidden".  I would just password protect it and not worry about who could see it. 

Hiding it (not broadcasting SSID) does add another layer of security as in out of site out of mind. If I had neighbors nearby I would hide my SSIDs also.

@BirdDog wrote:

Hiding it (not broadcasting SSID) does add another layer of security as in out of site out of mind. If I had neighbors nearby I would hide my SSIDs also.

Don't care too much for extra layers of security.  They cause too many 3:00am phone calls. 

BTW turning off SSID broadcast does not keep my kindles from seeing the network   Kindles are strange creatures though, they sit on your wifi and work, but never show up on the modem device screen.

GabeU

@gaines_wright wrote: 

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT, under any circumstances*, hold the reset button in for any length of time.  This could create a situation that would require a tech visit to fix, and which the customer would be responsible for paying.  

*ONLY ever perform the above under the explicit instructions of a HughesNet representative.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The customer reset procedure for the HughesNet HT2000W modem is as follows...

How to reset to factory settings

1. On the back of the HT2000W (right under the white label), there is a ‘Reset’ button.
  2. Use a paper clip (or some small/thin object to insert in the hole)
  3. Insert the paper clip, press the button one time and release (DO NOT hold the button in)
  4. Press the WPS button on the front of the HT2000W (may need to press firmly)
  5. After the lights on the HT2000W are back on, login using the password on the back of the modem. (Refer to the User Guide for appropriate modem lights)

This procedure also resets the WiFi settings GUI password to the factory default (admin).  

@@GabeU wrote:

@gaines_wright wrote: 

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT, under any circumstances*, hold the reset button in for any length of time.  This could create a situation that would require a tech visit to fix, and which the customer would be responsible for paying.  

Don't remember if I had to reset my ht2000 when I installed it.  I'm not going to try it now after reading that!  That is, unless I forget the password.

https://www.hughesnetinternet.net/reset-your-hughesnet-modem/

Reset your HughesNet modem literally at the touch of a button. You’ll find the reset button either on the back or at the base of your modem, depending on which model you have. Because the button is extremely small, you might need to use something pointed to hold the button, such as a toothpick or a ballpoint pen.

Hold the button down until all the lights on the modem turn off and then back on. If your modem model does not have a reset button, simply unplug the modem. Plug it back in after at least one minute.

I'll take your word about the danger in doing this.  Very poor design IMO, if a customer can "break" the modem by holding in a button too long.

That brings up another question:  Can Hughes reset the password remotely?

GabeU

@gaines_wright

Very interesting.  Hopefully a rep can clarify which method is correct, or if they're both correct.  I've just seen, over time, warnings of what can happen if the button is held down for too long, which seems to be reverting it to a state that requires a tech visit so that they can run the setup process again, which apparently includes things that the subscriber can't do themselves, even with instructions.  I've seen varying descriptions of what "too long" is, so I don't know the answer.  

And I've always meant to ask about that website, as well, as in whether it's an official HughesNet website.   

Again, hopefully they'll give a clarification.  

Liz

Hi folks,

Thanks for posting and helping ckroether, I'll look into that website and ensure the info on there is correct, if it is one of ours.

There's no way we can remotely reset your admin password in your System Control Center, so if you've changed this password and forgotten it, a reset on the customer's side is the only way to resolve this:

1. On the back of the HT2000W (right under the white label), there is a Reset button.
  2. Use a paper clip or pen to insert and press the reset button one time and release.
  3. At the same time, press and hold for 30 seconds the WPS button on the front of the HT2000W.
  4. After HT2000W comes back up, you should be able to log into the WiFi Settings section using using the default password on back of the HT2000W.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi ckroether,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. Hopefully the modem reset instructions helped you get back into your wifi settings. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!