cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards no longer accepted as online, nor automatic, payment. NOW FIXED.

Tutor

Re: "Prepaid" Credit Cards no longer accepted as online, nor automatic, payment...

Oh!
Assistant Professor

Re: "Prepaid" Credit Cards no longer accepted as online, nor automatic, payment...

Being old also, my wife and I get free checking at our local small regional bank. Is nice to be able to write a check every so often where we live as believe it or not some folks here still want cash or a check, no way to process a card. I don't like carrying lots of cash and being able to write a check does come in handy.

I do totally understand where you're coming from Gabe and hope there is a way they can at least accept cards that are loaded every month from SS, SSI or other government agencies.
Advanced Tutor

My bank offers free banking to anyone on SSI or SSDI. I'm on SSDI & use a bank debit card for most of my bills. If your bank offers free banking it might be something worth checking out.
New Poster

I've paid with a debit card for about a decade. I hope this isn't about to become a problem. I'll find out next week when my bill is due.

My daughter has problems with her prepaid card from work as well. She's not a HughesNet customer but she's told me she has had problems paying certain bills with her work-paid card. So I suppose it isn't just HughesNet that has this issue.
Assistant Professor

Agree Reggie, forgot to add we get free debit cards also.

A checking account generally costs nothing for people 55+ years old or those on SS and other compensation. I'm probably very old school but feel safer with my money in a bank that is FDIC insured as I'll never have a hundred grand that needs covered anyway.

Not trying to convince Gabe at all, only giving the other side.

HughesNet should at least allow government backed debit/credit cards.
Distinguished Professor IV

After having my bank change affiliation five times over four years I got tired of dealing with them and went this way.  It was never a problem until now. 

But, like anything else, blanket policies without any investigation may negatively affect those who don't deserve it. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tutor

Prepaid cards are no longer accepted as they are easy to use as a way to avoid automatic or overdue payments, avoid termination or unreturned equipment fees, etc.. you see where this is going, I hope.
I see where this is going. At breakneck speed toward the dead end on Exercise In Futility Avenue. How stupid does Hughes think people are? All it takes is one phone call to ensure Hughes never collects another penny on any existing payment method.

And Hughes still makes the mistake of screwing with valuable long-term customers by prohibiting their preferred method of payment? Money is money.
Distinguished Professor IV

Woo Hoo!  My payment went through this time without having to use the old site.  

Used the "View/Pay Bill Without Logging In" option and it worked.  

Now, if everything goes well for a while, I will attempt to use this card to set up automatic payments.  Whether that will now work is an entirely different story, but I will give it a try in a few months.  

The Gen5 install went great.  Gen5 is going great.  I was able to make my first payment through the "new" site.  Hopefully this track record keeps going!  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Well, well! That is cause for celebration. Where is the Jupiter 2 popcorn popping modem?

~Amanda

Honorary Alumnus

@Amanda wrote:
 Where is the Jupiter 2 popcorn popping modem?

~Amanda

Alan has it Smiley Happy