Data Tokens

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeneHagberg
Freshman

Data Tokens

I have 144.2gb of unused data tokens that I purchased, and would like to receive a refund for them.

Back during the Christmas holidays, HughesNet had a sale on data tokens; buy 5gb for $15 and receive 3gb free. That reduced the cost to $1.875 per gb. I don’t remember the exact amount, but I purchased over $300 worth of data tokens. At that time, I was typically using more than my 20gb monthly allowance. Now, I find that I don’t usually use my entire data allowance, and I could use the money.

The value of the remaining data tokens is approximately $270. Since these data tokens have not been used, and probably will never be used. Please consider my request for a refund.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning all,

Once tokens are applied to an account, they cannot be taken back. We don't refund tokens. Your feedback has been discussed and sent up for consideration, thank you!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Data tokens are non-refundable.

EDIT:

6.4 UNUSED DATA TOKENS.

You agree that any Data Tokens you may have purchased, or which may been provided to you free of charge, have no intrinsic value if you are no longer a HughesNet Subscriber. Thus, any value associated with any such tokens will lapse at the time of termination of your Service.

Source: https://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

GeneHagberg wrote:

I have 144.2gb of unused data tokens that I purchased, and would like to receive a refund for them.

Back during the Christmas holidays, HughesNet had a sale on data tokens; buy 5gb for $15 and receive 3gb free. That reduced the cost to $1.875 per gb. I don’t remember the exact amount, but I purchased over $300 worth of data tokens. At that time, I was typically using more than my 20gb monthly allowance. Now, I find that I don’t usually use my entire data allowance, and I could use the money.

The value of the remaining data tokens is approximately $270. Since these data tokens have not been used, and probably will never be used. Please consider my request for a refund.

I agree with the contract below statement. However, I am currently a HughesNet Subscriber, and the value of the Data Tokens has not lapsed. Thus, I am eligible for a refund at this time.

6.4 UNUSED DATA TOKENS.

You agree that any Data Tokens you may have purchased, or which may been provided to you free of charge, have no intrinsic value if you are no longer a HughesNet Subscriber. Thus, any value associated with any such tokens will lapse at the time of termination of your Service.

maratsade

No, there is no refund of tokens. While you're a subscriber, you have the tokens to use as needed, and if you don't use them, then you don't.  There is no "eligibility" for token refunds. They are not refunded either while you're a subscriber or when you are not.  They have no intrinsic value and they are not refunded at any time. 

GeneHagberg wrote:

I agree with the contract below statement. However, I am currently a HughesNet Subscriber, and the value of the Data Tokens has not lapsed. Thus, I am eligible for a refund at this time.

I've been with HughesNet a long time. I paid in advance for a service that has not been delivered. This  callous, unyielding customer service is unacceptable. I will be canceling my HughesNet account, and finding a new ISP.

maratsade

I get it's frustrating, but they just don't give refunds for tokens.  You purchase them, you're stuck with them.   It's not "callous customer service," it's a company policy that's clearly stated in the subscriber agreement.  They didn't come up with this just to spite you. 

It's not stated in the above referenced 6.4. So, where is it stated?

Again, here is what the HughesNet policy reads:

The Data Tokens only lose their intrinsic value if you are no longer a subscriber. Their value will lapse at the time of termination. Therefore, they do indeed have value, as long as you are a HughesNet Subscriber. I am a subscriber and wish to cash in the token value; the value that is there as long as I am a subscriber.

maratsade

There are no refunds for tokens.  @Liz , perhaps you could cut in and explain this. 

Your opinion, which may or may not be correct, is not written policy. I have provided written policy, which your referenced, stating that the tokens have value as long as I am a subscriber. They only lose their value when I am no longer a subscriber. What will satisfy me is a written policy stating there are no refunds for tokens. Otherwise, it is within someone's purview to approve the refund.

maratsade

I didn't give you an opinion. I repeated the policy that's been given here before. My first reply to you was kudoed by a moderator, indicating that my reply to you was correct.  However, if she or another moderator needs to say more, they will. Good luck to you. 

If it is indeed policy, then send me a link, or the written documentation. Otherwise, it is only hearsay, or perhaps common practice.

Hello Gene,

Glad you found the community. Maratsade quoted the subscriber agreement which is located on our legal page. That link is in the footer of the support site, in welcome emails for new customers, and typically also provided by the sales person at the end of the call. Hope that clears things up.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz,

Thanks for the reply. I have no problem with the subscriber agreement. It plainly states if I quit HughesNet, I lose my data tokens. My problem is with the assertion that the agreement states there is no refund for data tokens while I am still a subscriber.  The agreement states there is "no intrinsic value if you are no longer a HughesNet Subscriber".... "any value associated with any such tokens will lapse at the time of termination nof your Service." I am a current HughesNet Subscriber. Therefore, my data tokens have value. I wish to redeem their value. I have not seen anything written in the subscriber agreement that prevents me from redeeming the value of the tokens. They were not free. I bought them, and basically just want a refund of my purchase price. Please either provide the written documentation to substantiate your denial of payment for redemption of the data tokens, or provide payment for the data tokens. Thank you.

6.4 UNUSED DATA TOKENS.

maratsade

"I wish to redeem their value. I have not seen anything written in the subscriber agreement that prevents me from redeeming the value of the tokens. They were not free. I bought them, and basically just want a refund of my purchase price."

Buying something does not guarantee a refund, and it has been stated that there is no intrinsic value to the tokens, so you can't "redeem their value," if they have been defined by the seller as not having any.

Perhaps there should be a clarification somewhere that data token sales are final and no refunds will be granted at any time.  

You seem to completely miss the point. However, your last statement clearly suggest that you do get the point, and are just trying to weasel out of a legitimate request for a refund. The words "Perhaps there should be" says it all.

"Perhaps there should be a clarification somewhere that data token sales are final and no refunds will be granted at any time."

Your statement is exactly the point. As of today, 24 Aug 2020, the date of my request for a refund of the purchase price of data token, there is no clarification, or any documented statement at all, that token sales are final. All I have is your opinion, and you have no proof, no supporting documentation, and no written clarification to substantiate that opinion. 

If you can just show me the written clarification/documentation to support your stance, this ordeal would be over. But, you can't. So, you continue to put up a false front to avoid an honorable settlement.

maratsade

I do get your point, and as a subscriber, I think more clarity would be a good idea. 

Still, the reality is, they do not refund tokens. 

You bought them and you didn't use them, or you bought them and don't want to keep them; that's not their fault.  It works the same way with data. You buy, say, 50GB and only use 35 in a month. The others are lost and you get no refunds, because  not using them is your choice. 

Same with the tokens. You bought them and now you don't want them -- but there is no refund, period.  So just like with data you chose not to use or didn't want to use, you get no refunds. 

The reality is HughesNet does not have a written policy for not refunding the cost of unused data tokens. If they did have such a written policy, I would not have a problem, or a leg to stand on concerning this issue. In any event, it appears they do not intend to even consider a refund.

This is not the integrity I expect from a company that I do business with. My contract was up 7 Aug 2020. I'll be gone just as soon as I secure a more reliable and honest ISP. Another reality is HughesNet will lose a customer for what amounts to about 4 months worth of service.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

maratsade

Good luck with your next ISP!

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

I normally don't respond like this. BUT some one needs to learn to read.a contract.

You are exactly right. Here is a copy paste from the contrac:

6.4 UNUSED DATA TOKENS.

I'm not sure of your ability to comprehend the contract terminology, but the two statements "if you are no longer a HughesNet Subscriber", and "at the time of termination of your Service" are key to the entire issue. If I had already quit HughesNet and terminated my service, then I would not be entitled to any compensation.  As a non-subscriber, the data tokens would have no intrinsic value for me to cash in. That is exactly what the contract states.

However, I am a current Subscriber. My service has not been terminated. My data tokens do have intrinsic value. I want to cash in that intrinsic value. That is what the contract implies.