Data usage goes like wildfire

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Morgan36701
Freshman

Data usage goes like wildfire

I was told to do the 24 hours test. Was told zero devices was connected and call in 24. I did and said sorry test no good you had device connected. 100% sure I didnt. The. Told to unplug and call back in 3 hours. Did and was told test no good must plug it and redo test. NO. Been through it twice. I came from dish with high hopes and seems to be big diappointment. I had 10gb with them 2 years and didn't use data this fast. I'm using same stuff. 2 phones. Yes I keep things turned off when not in use and don't auto play videos when do use facebook. 10 gb gone this month in 3 days. Frustrating to say least.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hi Morgan36701

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I am sure we can narrow down the problem together and get this resolved. It appears that aside from the two phones mentioned, there has also been an Xbox accessing the internet too. The easiest thing we can do to start is do the data test again, you won't need to do it for 24 hours (more than 5 hours is acceptable, some prefer to do it overnight).

I will add data to your account for the test and all you will need to provide is the day and time you disconnected devices/turned off wi-fi, then the day and time you re-connected. The power and coaxial cables should remain connected in order for us to see logged data. Your patience and cooperation are appreciated.

~Amanda

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

In order to properly perform a modem isolation test the WiFi in the HT2000W must be disabled to ensure that nothing is connecting via WiFi.  And, of course, make sure to disconnnect all devices that are connected via ethernet cable, as well.  

To disable the WiFi in said modem, please see the section titled "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Make sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each radio separately, as unchecking all four, then clicking "Save Settings", will not hold the settings. 

One thing to keep in mind:  some things when turned off aren't really off, but in standby, and still connected, and those things can still use data.  This is especialy the case with satellite TV receivers (if you have one connected to HughesNet, that is).   

Chances are something is legitimately using the data, though without you being aware of it, and though it can be tricky to figure out what's doing so, it can be done.  

Thanks. During the 24 hour test all devices where off and ssid was disabled on network. They said I still had a device get used during that time so test failed and would have to repeat. Frustrating

I've checked meter one day every 30min or so and it counted down quickly 😞
GabeU

@Morgan36701

You indicated that the only thing you use with the service is two phones.  If you list what they are, and I don't mean specifics, just basically what they are, someone familiar with them might be able to help figure out what's using the data.  I only have a tracfone, so I wouldn't be very helpful in that endeavor.  

Also, you might want to take a look at the connected devices list in the WiFi section of the System Control Center.

Go to http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage , click WiFi Settings on the left, enter your password (admin if you haven't changed it), and then click on Devices in the Status box on the lower right.  Do that just to make sure nothing is connected that you aren't aware of.  

Amanda

Hi Morgan36701

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I am sure we can narrow down the problem together and get this resolved. It appears that aside from the two phones mentioned, there has also been an Xbox accessing the internet too. The easiest thing we can do to start is do the data test again, you won't need to do it for 24 hours (more than 5 hours is acceptable, some prefer to do it overnight).

I will add data to your account for the test and all you will need to provide is the day and time you disconnected devices/turned off wi-fi, then the day and time you re-connected. The power and coaxial cables should remain connected in order for us to see logged data. Your patience and cooperation are appreciated.

~Amanda

I can do it tonight. That'll work? What exactly I need to do and what to do when test over?
GabeU

@Morgan36701

A quick question.  Do you have a device that has the ability to connect to the modem via LAN cable, like a laptop or desktop?  The reason I ask is that, in order to be able to disable, then enable, the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, you have to have a LAN connectable device with which to enter the WiFi settings of the modem.  

Well, you could disable the WiFi with a WiFi connected device, but you couldn't connect via WiFi to turn it back on.  LOL.  😛  Sorry, that's just a little levity in a situation that I'm sure is frustrating you.  

If you don't have a device with which to connect via LAN cable to be able to access the WiFi settings in order to disable it, you can probably still do the test as long as you can ensure that absolutely nothing at all, including the XBox, is able to connect to the modem at any time during the five hours of the test, as anything connecting to the modem during that time will void the test.  

With this said, what she needs to be done is the following....

1.  Disable the WiFi in the modem.  

2.  Disconnect any remaining LAN connected devices.  

3.  Note the time.

4.  Wait five hours.  

5.  Note the time.  

6.  Reconnect your devices and turn the WiFi back on.  

7.  Leave the modem powered, as Amanda will need to be able to see the internal modem logs from the time the isolation test was running, and unplugging the modem will wipe out those logs.  

Again, if you don't have a LAN connected device with which to be able to enter the WiFi settings to disable it just make sure to turn EVERYTHING off that can connect via WiFi.  With the XBox you should most likely unplug it. 

BTW, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it's the XBox that is chewing through the data.  I've seen other people on here that have experienced their XBox utlizing data by "calling home" and such.    

Also, keep in mind that Amanda won't be back until Tuesday.  

Thank you. So does that mean I can't do the test till Tuesday? I see data has been added?
GabeU

@Morgan36701 wrote:
Thank you. So does that mean I can't do the test till Tuesday? I see data has been added?

First, I gave you incorrect info regarding step #7.  I was conflating the data collected during a modem isolation test with logged state codes, of which the latter is wiped out if you unplug the modem, but not the former.  What I mean is, you don't have to leave the modem powered after you perform the modem isolation test.  As long as you note the disconnect and reconnect times they can see if any data was used on their end by the times you give them.  So, again, after you perform the modem isolation test, you DO NOT need to leave the modem powered if you don't want to.  Sorry if I caused any confusion.  It's been a long week.  

Okay, back to your questions.  First, the data.  Amanda noted that she added data to your system.  It's likely that it's in the form of tokens, so you should be able to see Token Data available on your HughesNet Usage Meter, or when you sign in at the myAccount site to view your data.  On the Usage Meter it will be right under the Service Plan Data, and it says "Token Bytes Available".  If you don't see any data there (on top of what you may have purchased in the past and used, if any), you should sign into the HughesNet myAccount site, click on the Usage tab, then click on "Buy Tokens" under Usage (on the right of the page).  Don't worry, clicking on "Buy Tokens" only opens a popup where you can buy them.  It doesn't automatically buy them.  But, on that popup you should see a token or more available to "Use" under Free or Prepaid tokens.  If so, you can click Use if you want to add them to your Token Bytes available, though you can just leave them unadded if you want.  If they're added to the Token Bucket (the Token Bytes Available), they'll be there to automatically use when needed.  If you don't add them and you run out of data at later time and need some data, you'll have to sign in and click Use to add them to the Token Bucket.  Hopefully they're already in your Token Bucket and you won't need to go through all of that to add them, but if you do have to, or want to, I thought it best to tell you how.  

BTW, Token bytes are only used AFTER your Service Plan Data (or Bonus Data, then Service Plan Data, if in the Bonus Data time period) is exhausted.  The Token Bytes roll over, so if you don't use them you'll carry them with your from month to month so they will be there to automatically be used if you ever exhaust your data.  

Now, when you can do the test.  You can run the test anytime you like.  Just make sure to note the times that you disconnect the devices and reconnect the devices.  And, again, if you don't have a LAN connectable device with which to disable, then re-enable the WiFi, just make absolutely sure that the WiFi devices are off or unplugged during the test so that the test isn't voided again with something connecting.  But, as Amanda noted, be sure to leave the power and coax cable connected while the test is in progress so the data can be logged at HughesNet.  

Also....

#4 should have said "more than" five hours, as Amanda noted in her instructions.  You can do it overnight, too.  Some people prefer to run the test while they're sleeping, and that's fine.  

And ignore #7.  Again, I was mistaken in what I said about that.  After you perform the test you don't need to leave the modem powered if you normally unplug it.  You can leave it powered if you want, you just aren't required to.  I was mistaken about that.  

Again, I'm sorry if I caused any confusion.  

Thank you. I'll do the test tonight then. So I just come back to this post after I complete it?
GabeU

@Morgan36701 wrote:
Thank you. I'll do the test tonight then. So I just come back to this post after I complete it?

Yep.  Just reply with the times of disconnecting your devices or shutting them down and reconnecting or turning them back on.  That way they can look to see if any data was used or disappeared in between those two times.  Just, again, make absolutely sure that nothing can connect to the service in between those two times.  I'd unplug that XBox just to be safe.  🙂  

Done it from 10:55pm to 7am last night. Turned off wifi part and nothing was connected.

Thank you! I am collecting data now to take a look. I appreciate you completing the test for us. Also thank you to Gabe for lending a hand here!

Amanda

Hello

I've taken an overview assessment of the data and there does not appear to be any data used during that time frame. I think it is worth while to connect only a device or two back to the network and see if that helps to narrow it down. 

If you want to be 100% sure about the devices actually being detected on the HughesNet modem you can view the connected devices by going to

192.168.0.1 > WiFi Settings > Login ---- scroll down to "status" and click on "devices". All connected MAC addresses will be listed there.

~Amanda

Thank you. Also has the 3 free gb been added yet from the outage?