Download servers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ace1964
New Poster

Download servers

Why when I do a system test does it use servers in Chicago and it shows them working at a very high rate and I live in Florida and can barely get the hughesnet website to load?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Ace1964 

Speed tests often run checks through various servers, choosing the best one at that time, and they're very often nowhere near your own location due to the testing actually using your HughesNet gateway as your location, which is always in a different state than your own.  Your gateway is the ground station collection point for your signal on the "other side" of the satellite, and it's where your service actually enters in the internet.     

If you're having speed issues, the first troubleshooting step will be running a few speed tests, but using a specific protocol to ensure accuracy.  The instructions for the speed tests are here.  Please be sure to read through them thoroughly before running the tests.  After you've run a few, please copy your testmy.net "My Results" page URL and paste it into a reply so the test results can be viewed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU

@Ace1964 

Speed tests often run checks through various servers, choosing the best one at that time, and they're very often nowhere near your own location due to the testing actually using your HughesNet gateway as your location, which is always in a different state than your own.  Your gateway is the ground station collection point for your signal on the "other side" of the satellite, and it's where your service actually enters in the internet.     

If you're having speed issues, the first troubleshooting step will be running a few speed tests, but using a specific protocol to ensure accuracy.  The instructions for the speed tests are here.  Please be sure to read through them thoroughly before running the tests.  After you've run a few, please copy your testmy.net "My Results" page URL and paste it into a reply so the test results can be viewed.

maratsade

Ace1964 wrote:
Why when I do a system test does it use servers in Chicago and it shows them working at a very high rate and I live in Florida and can barely get the hughesnet website to load?

Do you mean a speed test?  If so, what speed test are you using? You should be using https://testmy.net, and I don't see a Chicago server listed there.

The servers they have listed are 

• Central US — Dallas, TX, USA
  • East Coast US — Miami, FL, USA
  • East Coast US — New York, NY, USA
  • West Coast US — Los Angeles, CA, USA
  • West Coast US — San Francisco, CA, USA
  • North America — Toronto, CA 
  • Europe — London, GB
  • Europe — Frankfurt, DE
  • Asia — Tokyo, JP
  • Asia — Singapore, SG
  • Asia — Bangalore, IN
  • Australia — Sydney, AU 

You should pick the server that's closest to your ground station (and your ground station would not be in Florida).

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:
Do you mean a speed test?  If so, what speed test are you using?  

I assumed, perhaps mistakenly so, that Ace1964 was referring to HughesNet's own speed test.  I sometimes see the Chicago server pop up when I run their test.  Granted, I don't use their test very often.

I just tried an HN test now and, surprisingly, it used a server in Oregon, which is where my gateway is.  I ran a second test and it used a server in North Carolina.  😛  Go figure!  

-----------------------------------------------------------------

@Ace1964 

If you don't know the location of your HughesNet gateway you can find it using the instructions on this web page, which is on the personal website of this HughesNet Support Community member.

maratsade

You're very likely right, @GabeU . 🙂

@GabeU wrote:

I assumed, perhaps mistakenly so, that Ace1964 was referring to HughesNet's own speed test.  I sometimes see the Chicago server pop up when I run their test.  Granted, I don't use their test very often.