Fair Use speed and streaming

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Terry HInes2
Sophomore

Fair Use speed and streaming

Has anyone had an luck using Gen5 for streaming will in the Fair Use speed slow down?  I was told I should see 5M minimum.  I thinks this is another case to the phone "salesmen" I hate to say it by flat out Lying or not very well informed about the product he is selling.   I saw on the Hughes site it said I should be between 1.5 -3MB   which it was showing data from HULU and the rest leading one to believe at the "standard" def I would still be able to stream.  I see on here some are saying less then 1MB is in policy. 

In my case I accept the fact Hughes has me bent over the table and I take what I get.  It does beat the **bleep** out of dialup which I did for 8 years here.  I just upgraded to the Gen 5 which as long as I dont' go backwards compared to the Gen 4 I figure I am doing good as the same 10GB plan is costing $10 less a month.  I just really wish the phone reps and Hughes web site would be Honest. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

When you have exhausted your data, your speeds will throttle back to as low as 1Mbps or lower during peak congestion hours.

With that said, I personally have found that if no one else is doing anything, at all, even loading another web-site, you can stream in SD just fine once you have exhausted your data.  The question now is whether your beam and gateway is more, or less congested than mine.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

When you have exhausted your data, your speeds will throttle back to as low as 1Mbps or lower during peak congestion hours.

With that said, I personally have found that if no one else is doing anything, at all, even loading another web-site, you can stream in SD just fine once you have exhausted your data.  The question now is whether your beam and gateway is more, or less congested than mine.

I was hopping for a little better but never figured it would work for streaming.  I just wish Hughes would allow use the run at the 1MB and if we did freeze our GB usage until we chose to run full speed.  Like a self imposed throttling. I really have not need to stream everyday but this coming month for example I would like to watch the World cup games Brazil is in.  With no streaming I usually run out with the 10GM a few days before the end of the month.  I do do some Youtube Music videos.  Low quality but still eat away at the day cap.