Hughesnet Community

Gettin those Severe Speed Issues Again, and Web Acceleration is not supported?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danny89
Junior

Gettin those Severe Speed Issues Again, and Web Acceleration is not supported?

Hey, im on throttle except for my Bonus Zone(currently 11GB). Im getting speeds as low as 13kB/s according to TestMy. I havent done a battery of tests yet though. But ive noticed that on the System Status page it says that Web Acceleration is not supported, and nothing happens if I click Reset MBX or disable Web Acceleration under the Advanced options.

Im barely able to get Facebook to load, and it took about 15 minutes for me to get to the message page here. Im going to assume that this is similar to last time(a few months ago) that this is to do with me being on throttle, and that there is still severe overload on my beam, and of course, there has been devastating natural disasters recently that may play some part in this. But I wanted to bring it up for the engineers to note, and that there is this new Web Acceleration issue

Here is my link, im going to begin a battery of tests now. I just realized that I did the tests without being signed in, so that the earlier ones arent saved. But I was averaging speeds of 25kB/s with a couple being a slow as 13kB/s, downloading a manual download of 1MB

https://testmy.net/quickstats/DanKaiser

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi folks,

Regarding WAS, “Web Acceleration Not Supported” is a normal condition.  Hughes continuously updates configuration and technology to maximize user performance.  Web Acceleration technology developed by Hughes accelerates non-secure (HTTP) web browsing by pre-fetching certain content, minimizing the impact of the round-trip delay over the satellite.  However, the vast majority of web content is now secure (HTTPS), so Web Acceleration has no benefit for most web browsing. Hughes is turning down the Web Acceleration components in certain areas to evaluate the performance impact, if any, as part of our normal network maintenance and optimization.

Also, reduced speeds under the Fair Access Policy can fluctuate as much as when not subject to the policy, so we can't guarantee any sort of range under that circumstance.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Are you on Gen 5, Gen 4, or something else?

Gen 5, according to my system information its using the Echostar-19-NAD. Ive never seen it do this before, it just has a no symbol next to it, along with not supported

Edit: Im at 9.9GB of Bonus Zone Data left, and my speeds have increased based on my last test, but since I had a similar problem before, gotta bring it up, AND this new web acceleration one is utterly abnormal

Edit 2: As of right now, even with Web Acceleration "not supported", it doesnt seem to be bothering anything on my end, and my speeds are running at what they generally are during FAP Condition, for now. When I had this issue in August it would do that for a little while(and did yesterday morning too) then it would dive into the barely above Dial Up speeds

Also, according to the diagnostics under advanced, everything next to Web Acceleration(N), DNS Acceleration(N) and DNS Acceleration(I) is check marks saying its running properly. Maybe a glitch in the system information?

maratsade

Someone else just posted about their web acceleration showing "not supported."  Could be a more widespread issue.  @Liz  or another rep will have to check from their side to see what's going on. 

Hopefully the Web Accelerator wont become Hughes' version of a McDonald's ice cream machine 😛

maratsade

I see the error too on my SCC.  And now I would like some ice cream. 🙂

maratsade

What beam are you in? 

Beam 84. On a strange note, it looks like the very end numbers of the IPGW number on the main system status page changed, but that might just be me never paying them any mind

Edit: IN regards to my speed, its holding up great right now, but I expect the dial up speed to hit whenever other folks around me get online 😛 But wanna keep up with that, the brutality of this FAP condition alongside the "not supported" web acceleration could be correlated

maratsade

Beam 68 here.  I thought maybe it was a beam-related thing, but it sounds it might be everywhere.  As for the last 4 numbers, they change when you reboot the modem. 

Think of the last four digits as something akin to the router bank and port that you're connecting through at the ground station. That's how I look at it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hi folks,

Regarding WAS, “Web Acceleration Not Supported” is a normal condition.  Hughes continuously updates configuration and technology to maximize user performance.  Web Acceleration technology developed by Hughes accelerates non-secure (HTTP) web browsing by pre-fetching certain content, minimizing the impact of the round-trip delay over the satellite.  However, the vast majority of web content is now secure (HTTPS), so Web Acceleration has no benefit for most web browsing. Hughes is turning down the Web Acceleration components in certain areas to evaluate the performance impact, if any, as part of our normal network maintenance and optimization.

Also, reduced speeds under the Fair Access Policy can fluctuate as much as when not subject to the policy, so we can't guarantee any sort of range under that circumstance.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Ive been having extreme issue getting on in the past two hours, my speed tests ive managed to launch read as 3kB/s and 5kB/s, which is dial up speed when youre surrounded by phonelines from the 1960s because this nation has absolute disregard for infastructure outside of cities(or infastructure for getting through areas without cities as quick as possible). Im unable to get on Facebook, get connected to my instant messaging service, and it took me an hour to get this loaded(it would load incorrectly and I would have to reload it)

May I suggest finding some way of making a bottom out level for FAP condition? Like 50kB/s or something at the very worst?

Glad to hear the web acceleration thing is just testing! I remember when the internet went all HTTPS when I was on dial up, that was some real **bleep** on earth

Edit: Its almost an hour into the bonus zone, and I have had barely any improvement. I want to note that I currently have 20% of my bonus zone data, the system control center says that I am at state code 0.0.0 FULLY OPERATIONAL, 9.8 GB of Data left. But my last speed test just showed my speed for downloading, I believe, 512kb of data, as 5kB/s or 44 kbps(44000bps, which is what I'd connect to America Online at...). This is just brutal. Make corporate read this so they launch the EchoStar XXIV, even if they have to shame themselves and have Elon Musk launch it for them, good lord. I need to go outside and see if theres a 25,000 mile phoneline hanging out of the sky and see if its connected to my dish!

THIS IS EXCEPTIONALLY BAD. I fully understand all the issues involved with the overload of the system, and that theres the fair access policy, but this is practically not having internet access at all, and if im getting this kind of speed, other people who are in FAP condition are likely getting this same kind of speed on my Beam

maratsade

Danny, you may want to start a new ticket to deal with the speeds issue. You will need to provide the URL to your Testmy.net My Results page.  

Its in the topic post 😛 If I dont get a reply from support I'll make a new thread, but im sure they'll check it

https://testmy.net/quickstats/DanKaiser

Its running a little better right now but thats the pattern. Liz did note they cant promise speeds, but going down to 3 and 5 kB/s is just too much, that needs to be noted since thats...the same as literal dial up, causing very limited internet function

Edit: Running great and proper, but thats the pattern, at about 7:40, after an entire night of dial up speeds, it'll go to good speed(that I have the data for), then level out to the regular FAP condition speeds I usually get(within 75-400kB/s), then at some point it changes to the horrible sub-50kb/s speeds that are unusable, and stays that way for hours, usually until 7:40AM. Obviously must correlated to someone(s) with a lot of data running wild in my area, but 5k/bs is just....horrific. Should still show a lot of those in the test results

maratsade

When/if it's running well, you will need to use the required file sizes (25MB for download tests and 4MB for upload tests). 

See https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607
and also https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/how-check-your-speed-performance

Its following the same pattern as before, where it would run well after 7:40AM and until at least 1PM, then at some point it goes to dial up speeds. My first test of the night was at 6kB/s, then subsequent at 21k, using the testmy page so the results are there! Last test for 1MB showed as 8kB, but I think that was more because I was loading this at the same time

Anyway I had an absolute heck of a time trying to get logged in here! Dont know what that was from, but if I dont respond, im probably in the dial up zone. Im at 3 Days 22 Hours until my data comes back for the month so I figure that'll solve the problem, but I want Hughes to be aware of the absolute severity of the situation here, since I dont think thats any of the intent or allowable tolerances of the throttle/FAP condition.

Update for the day, its been slow but more tolerable, speeds between 20 and 50kB/s all night, but now for whatver reason its going at 350(even though im on full throttle now). So hopefully the beam overload has been placated some

2 Days 15 hours out from getting data refreshed! Just to make note again, that I fully understand and accept the FAP condition, but going down to 3k/bs is about as good as turning off my internet when I run out of data, which I only have 50GB of for about 140$ a month! So I want to document it to help the engineers, and folks that arent savvy enough to get here during one of these severe slowdowns, or dont have the patience I do(I was on dial up for 17 years, spending an hour clicking reload to get a single page to load up was normal. I did not see 1MBs until I was a grown man, you adopted the slow)

As an educational moment, im curious, why are internet speeds now more measured by bits per second as opposed to bytes? It certainly makes things look more impressive, but as someone who was in the dial up days, everything ive ever downloaded shows me data in bytes, and of course all storage is still measured in bytes. Feels like some Metric vs Imperial stuff 😛

@Danny89 wrote:

As an educational moment, im curious, why are internet speeds now more measured by bits per second as opposed to bytes? It certainly makes things look more impressive, but as someone who was in the dial up days, everything ive ever downloaded shows me data in bytes, and of course all storage is still measured in bytes. Feels like some Metric vs Imperial stuff 😛

My take: No one can agree what a byte is, but a bit is undeniable. Seriously.

First, there's the issue of how many bits make a byte: Is it the actual data word? Does it include parity and control bits? Does it include repetitive protocols required for forward error correction? It's not pretty, and hella confusing.

Second, there's the issue of the actual measurement, since no one can agree if 1k = 1,000 or 1,024, but that's a whole 'nother kettle o' wax.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

If you want to help the engineers, follow the speed testing protocol; so far you have not, as your file sizes are not the required ones.  The folks who get on here would have to also follow the same protocol if they want the engineers to address the speed issue. 

@Danny89 wrote:

So I want to document it to help the engineers, and folks that arent savvy enough to get here during one of these severe slowdowns

@maratsade wrote:

If you want to help the engineers, follow the speed testing protocol; so far you have not, as your file sizes are not the required ones.  The folks who get on here would have to also follow the same protocol if they want the engineers to address the speed issue. 

@Danny89 wrote:

So I want to document it to help the engineers, and folks that arent savvy enough to get here during one of these severe slowdowns

Well, that leads to a horrible issue...if I download 25 MEGABYTES while going at 3k/Bs, thats going to take multiple hours, and more than likely will time out or fail. In fact, while doing my testing, a lot of the time the 1MB tests would die halfway through. Thats why theres ones for half a megabyte showing up, I'd set those up after a failure

Im running at more proper speeds now so I can do the test properly, but that gives the issue of...its running properly now, but I assume it sets a standard for what I consider "normal". Just did one and it came out to 350kB/s

maratsade

You may want to call the 800 number, then.