Hughesnet Community

HOLD HUGHESNET ACCOUNTABLE Oklahoma Senate Bill 1514-Amending the Oklahoma Consumer Protection Act

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NotHappy
Sophomore

HOLD HUGHESNET ACCOUNTABLE Oklahoma Senate Bill 1514-Amending the Oklahoma Consumer Protection Act

SB1514

Amends the Oklahoma Consumer Protection Act by adding the following language.

33. Falsely represents, knowingly or with reason to know, that Internet services provided to the consumer's location are capable of being supplied at speeds or rates advertised, represented or contracted.

Passed the state Senate and now pending in the House!

Oklahomans,

Contact your representative in support of this bill. HOLD HUGHESNET ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE SLOW SERVICE PROVIDED.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi NotHappy

I reviewed your account again and see that we've already done the repoint, which was the final option we had for improving your service. Rather than circle around to the same responses,I have placed a note on your account that will allow you to cancel your service with no termination fee. You will not need to wait those 12 months and can go ahead and cancel today (you'll need to call 8663473292, request to speak to account management to cancel and reference case # 110981889   to the account management agent you speak with.

Thank you,

Amanda

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Sorry, but, the contract explicitly states that speeds are not guaranteed, and are advertised as UPTO.

To quote what you said...

@NotHappywrote:

33. Falsely represents, knowingly or with reason to know, that Internet services provided to the consumer's location are capable of being supplied at speeds or rates advertised, represented or contracted.

Sad times when a response has to support the fact that they don't have to do what they represent they can do. 

Fortunately, I know the attorneys involved. HUGHESNET representing they can provide 25 mbps when my average is less than 2 mbps is precisely the meaning in the new bill.

SB1514

Amends the Oklahoma Consumer Protection Act by adding the following language.

Passed the state Senate and now pending in the House!

Oklahomans,

Contact your representative in support of this bill. HOLD HUGHESNET ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE SLOW SERVICE PROVIDED.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

They can and do provide up to 25+ Mbps and I'm still on Gen4. It does depend on many factors at any given time such as beam/gateway loading, weather at gateway and user location, user end WiFi location and distance, etc. And bottom line like was already said, it is not guaranteed 24/7. They will work with those who actually want help to improve poor consistant speed.

bWGlQ5iuP

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Le'sigh, another one that wont read the contract.

http://legal.hughesnet.com/

1.1 SPEED CLAIMS AND DISCLAIMERS. 

HughesNet service is available in the contiguous U.S., Alaska and Puerto Rico. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours.  In addition, when connected to the Service using Wi-Fi, the user’s experience will vary based on the proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy. 

The listed speeds are only available in the footprint of the EchoStar XVII and EchoStar XIX Satellites. The HughesNet Gen5 Service with speeds of up to 25 mbps down and 3 mbps up is available within the contiguous United States. Speeds in parts of Alaska will be slower.  

Sigh yourself...

Small print won't save you on this one. 

Sigh yourself...

Small print won't save you on this one. 

I've had technicians out here several times reaiming satellite. I have heard the same canned excuses from their poor representatives...I have accepted that after 12 months that HUGHESNET just can't accomplish what they adverstise where I live. Contract up...i go strictly to cell data which is 4x as fast as the speed provided. You say they will work to improve...I again say 12 months with no progress....3.31.18-12.49 pm.PNG4.1.18-20.26.PNG

Hi NotHappy

I reviewed your account again and see that we've already done the repoint, which was the final option we had for improving your service. Rather than circle around to the same responses,I have placed a note on your account that will allow you to cancel your service with no termination fee. You will not need to wait those 12 months and can go ahead and cancel today (you'll need to call 8663473292, request to speak to account management to cancel and reference case # 110981889   to the account management agent you speak with.

Thank you,

Amanda

Thank you, Amanda. I will make that call tomorrow.

Have a great evening!