HT2000W SPI and Anti-DoS firewall protection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirrelhunter
Freshman

HT2000W SPI and Anti-DoS firewall protection

Does having the SPI and Anti-DoS firewall protection turned on in the Intrusion Detection section of the Firewall setting cause more data usage or how about the Discard Ping To WAN Interface setting? I turned both on thinking they probably should be on and in the 3 weeks before,we only used 1% of our data but after I did that we used 26% overnight. I turned off the Discard Ping To WAN Interface setting but left the SPI and Anti-DoS firewall protection on. Should I turn it off too or do either of these have any effect on data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Neither will have an effect on your data usage, and are useless features to enable/disable if you're not an SME customer.

Best practice says to keep them enabled though.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Neither will have an effect on your data usage, and are useless features to enable/disable if you're not an SME customer.

Best practice says to keep them enabled though.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@C0RR0SIVE

Are they useless because of the shared IPs with the residential plans?  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

More like because the IPv4 on residential systems isn't a publically facing IP address... However, they may be beneficial to have enabled if you're using IPv6 since that is public facing.

My IPv6 is turned on though,is that not right? I haven't messed with that setting?

You may want to keep those two settings enabled, though even with IPv6 enabled, chances are no one would try to remotely attack your network, which those features are meant to help prevent.

Thanks,I think I will,unless it causes me to use up all our data real quick. I know you guys say it shouldn't make any difference but something fishy is going on here. I'm doing a little experiment to see what happens. I turned both back off and if we don't use very much data by tomorrow I'll turn 1 back on and see how it does for a day. If we still don't use much I'll turn the other on and see what happens. It'll depend a lot too on just how slow it gets if we reach our data limit too which I won't know unless we get there.

It appears having them turned on does cause me to use more data,especially the "Discard Ping To WAN Interface" setting so I'm leaving that 1 off. Still not sure what I'll do about the "SPI and Anti-DoS" setting though,I'll probably leave it on at least for now.