HT2000W's 5Ghz radio not working.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

HT2000W's 5Ghz radio not working.

I noticed in the past that the 5Ghz radio never showed up as a connection option in my laptop, nor in my notebook.  Today, I actively tried connecting both my laptop and notebook, and even my TV, to the 5Ghz radio, and none will connect.  All three are capable of using the 5Ghz band.  I tried rebooting the modem a few times.  I tried the guest network.  I tried changing the security settings to older ones.  Nothing.  It's as if the 5Ghz radio isn't broadcasting at all.  It doesn't show up as an available network on anything.    

The 2.4Ghz band works perfectly for me, so it's not really a problem, but I just figured I would mention it.  I know from past posts that the 5Ghz radio seems to have a problem dropping the signal for some people, and a reboot of the modem brings it back up, but I can't get it to work at all.

With that said, even if the 5Ghz radio were working, I would still be using the 2.4Ghz band for all that I connect with wirelessly as that works fine for me.  There is no speed reduction between wired and wireless, so I'm fine with the way it is.  I was only trying the 5Ghz band as a test.  I was bored.  LOL.    

Perhaps when the next software release is downloaded it will be fixed.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU

Okay.  Update.  

The neighbors have a newer Lenovo Thinkpad that most definitely does have the ability to connect using the 5Ghz band.  It was brought over.  It turns out my modem is fine.  It connected without issue.  We didn't really try anything with it other than just going to Google and doing a quick search.  That was enough, though.  

I feel like a schmuck.  LOL.  😞 

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
maratsade

I don't see it either on my list of networks -- I had posted about this a while back, and thought it was because my laptops didn't have the capability.  Maybe that's not it, though; maybe it's actually non-functional.  It's no big deal, since the other network works well, but I'm curious.  

It could also be 5Ghz radios, like Microsoft, don't like me. LOL

GabeU

They're in cahoots!!!!  That's what it is!  

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

They're in cahoots!!!!  That's what it is!  

It's a simple and elegant solution, I think. LOL

I'm also not getting the same blazing speeds others on Gen 5 are getting, and now the solution seems clear: satellites don't like me.

GabeU

maratsade wrote: 

I'm also not getting the same blazing speeds others on Gen 5 are getting, and now the solution seems clear: satellites don't like me.

I forgot about that.  That's just crazy.  I still don't get that.  Perhaps, in the future, they will make some adjustments to your beam or gateway to get your speeds up.  

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

maratsade wrote: 

I forgot about that.  That's just crazy.  I still don't get that.  Perhaps, in the future, they will make some adjustments to your beam or gateway to get your speeds up.  

It's weird indeed -- the numbers show higher speeds, but the actual surfing speed doesn't seem any faster than before, and at times pages take more time to load up.  I'm sure it'll get fixed eventually.

Oddly, downloads from the Apple app store are much faster than before, which is very nice. So the speed is there, clearly, but the browsers haven't gotten the memo yet. 🙂

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Care to list the exact model of wifi adapters/devices your using that can't see the 5Ghz band?

If it's a draft varient that those devices support, they may not be able to connect to any 5Ghz system.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE

My Acer has a Qualcomm Atheros AR956x adapter, which is supposed to work at both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, but may not be using the 5Ghz band in this particular system.    

The Dell has a "Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b|g|n" adapter, but it may only work at 2.4Ghz.  

My Sony TV has a b|g|n card, but after further reading it only works at 2.4Ghz.  

So, as it turns out, it's possible that none of the three things I have will connect to 5Ghz, so that may actually be the problem.  

I guess I should have done a little more research.  

I'm pretty sure my 5Ghz worked, I think I did speed tests with every available connection right after my system was installed.  

@GabeU You say you have no difference in download speeds between Wireless and Wired??  My speeds are different!  I get 40-50 on wired and 15-25 or so with wireless....  this is quite a bit of a difference.  So I would like to know why my speeds are slower plus is there anything I can / should do to improve the speeds.  

I am currently using my own Router but I also tested with the built in WiFi as well...    I will do more tests sometime later this weekend or next week to see if they are still slower.   

GabeU

@wildcats198308 wrote:

I'm pretty sure my 5Ghz worked, I think I did speed tests with every available connection right after my system was installed.  

@GabeU You say you have no difference in download speeds between Wireless and Wired??  My speeds are different!  I get 40-50 on wired and 15-25 or so with wireless....  this is quite a bit of a difference.  So I would like to know why my speeds are slower plus is there anything I can / should do to improve the speeds.  

I am currently using my own Router but I also tested with the built in WiFi as well...    I will do more tests sometime later this weekend or next week to see if they are still slower.   

How old is the device you are connecting with and using for the speed tests?  It's possible that there is an issue with the wireless network card, or even a setting with such that needs to be changed.  Perhaps a driver for the card?   Interference with the signal is also a possibility, whether from range issues or something else.  Do you have an older house that may have lead paint on the walls?  

Whether I use the built in wireless router of the HT2000W or my older Netgear router it makes no difference.  The speed is still the same as wired.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Wildcats,

It's kind of hectic here at the moment but in the next day or two I will try to make up a chechklist of items for you to look at.

Browser settings and plug-ins can be discounted as well as extentions as those items would apply to both wired and wireless.

Wildcats,

Here is a good overview of things that can affect wireless speeds:

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Improving-Performance-on-a-Wireless-Internet-Connection

Here is another that delves into wireless encryption modes and talks about 'mixed mode' slow-downs.

https://www.howtogeek.com/204697/wi-fi-security-should-you-use-wpa2-aes-wpa2-tkip-or-both/

My laptop is pretty old and has the original WiFi adapter.  I also have done tests with my tablets (Google Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy Tab A -- The Tab A is only a year old)  I get the same slower speeds with everything I believe.  My Drivers are all up to date as far as Windows Updates shows.  My Laptop Wireless adapter is Dell Wireless 1505.  My Modem and Router is in the same room that I have been doing all Speed tests in.  My house is older but with being in the same room I dont see the Walls or anything else being a problem being in the same room as the Router.

Like I said I will do more tests at a later time,  this weekend was kinda busy.  Plus now I am over my Data allowance (go figure -- darn kids,  nephew did some updates on PS4 yesterday morning)  I was using more data than normal myself just to get some things downloaded plus we just got new Cell Phones on the 10th which needed updates and apps installed.  My 20 day resets ended on the 9th.  So ended up using 20 GB in about 4 days days. I wasnt expecting all the PS4 updates or Phone updates.  Now I will be slowed for 6 days Smiley Mad .   (I did tell nephew right after Gen5 was installed that we will have daily resets and figured he would do PS4 updates and download stuff but I guess he never did the updates!). 

I did a few speed tests at different times yesterday and was getting speeds of 2.85 - 2.94 Mbps download and 2.8 - 3.2 Mbps upload.  Not bad at all.  Around 5:20 PM I did have speeds around 1.5 Mbps - Figured it was some slowdown.  Today I ran a few speed tests over WiFi and Wired to see if they were the same and was getting around 1.5 Mbps download.  I had to unplug the modem and plug it back in and was back up around 3 Mbps download.  Todays tests were all about the same speeds using Wired and Wireless with my router and the built in router.   I did have a few issues yesterday with using multiple devices at once,  (playing 8 Ball Pool on mobile devices together)... 

**I typed alot of this message yesterday and had to go outside for a while and came back and finished the message and went to post and here was auto signed out so the message didnt post -- luckly the majority of the message was saved in Drafts so I didnt have to retype it all.**

maratsade

"Whether I use the built in wireless router of the HT2000W or my older Netgear router it makes no difference.  The speed is still the same as wired."

Ditto.

So,  I am still confused with my speeds and how to set up my Router.  I tried changing the channel (I tried channel 11 and then 7).  The first speed test I do will have faster speeds but then if I retest 30 seconds later the speeds drop to around 25 Mbps.  If I dont make any changes to my router settings but just click save my first speed test is fast and then 30 seconds later slower.   I tried the built in Router and speeds stayed above 38 Mbps.   I tried turning off all Radios in my router but one and still got the same results.   

My router only has the following Encryption modes WPA2 PSK  --  WPA PSK  --  and WEP......    I assume WPA2 PSK is what I should use?

I figured I would try to completely restore my router to see if that would help.  I used the default WiFi settings with the default SSID and a random password.  I did a few speed tests and they all seamed higher.  I was entering quota limits for all my devices from a screenshot prior to restore and ended up having to restore to a backup file which I made before restoreing the router because I did not reconize a MAC address.  Speed tests are back in the 20's.  After I get everything wrote down I am going to do another complete restore and then manually enter everything and hopefully my speeds are all higher. 

Check out this speed test that I got.....  

speed.PNG

GabeU

@wildcats198308 wrote:

speed.PNG

Holy smokes!  If only that were a legitimate Hughesnet speed.  Can you imagine?  🙂

I was having the same problems and made one change to get it working. (Apologies if the solution has already been posted.)

I simply changed the WPA Mode to "WPA/WPA2"

and

Security Type to "WPA-Personal"

It's now visible to all my devices (new and just a little "old").

We have had the gen 4 for almost 2yrs and had the 5ghz the whole time ...never losted it ever throughout the 2 years. We upgraded to the gen5..cause we was told it was 3x's faster & we wouldn't have to use our router & we would get the 5ghz . We had it put in on May the 26th 2017 and we have the 5ghz , but it just knocks us off the internet and has us to tap to configure to the 2ghz. Which we never had to do this with our gen4. We wouldn't have ever upgraded if we knew this was like this . We will have the 5ghz all day then boom it goes offline and can only get the 2ghz or we will have the 5ghz fir 2-4 days and get knocked off and have to configure to the 2ghz in the same spots or closer to the modem . We have tried everything to see why with there help. Nothing at all!! Getting fed up after going almost 2yrs with no problems with the Gen 4 to having this problem with the gen5. They say there's no difference between 5ghz & 2ghz. Well Google says as other reports say it as well that the difference it faster on the 5ghz than the 2ghz according to Google . They are sending out a new modem to see if that works.
They said if it doesn't then it's my stuff ( our smartphone which is a 1 &1/2 yr old Samsung galaxy note 5, a Sony tablet less than 2years old... )WTH? it was just fine with the Gen4 for 2 almost 2 years never one call after we got it up and running and this is driving me crazy!! I hate to be knocked off the internet!! PS we are usually only at 1 time running 2 smartphone on it . They wirk at every other place in town and other people's gen 5!! Grrrr
GabeU

@Clint23Shannon wrote:
They say there's no difference between 5ghz & 2ghz. 

Who's "they?"  Whoever "they" are, "they" are misinformed.  There are considerable differences between the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, but whether a user sees those differences, or can, or even needs to, take advantage of those differnces, is unique to that user.  

I, personally, won't see any difference.  I say "won't" because I don't have anything that can utilize the 5Ghz band, but even if I did I wouldn't see any difference, anyway.  My three devices get the same speed whether wired or using WiFi on the 2.4Ghz band, so 5Ghz wouldn't be of any advantage for me.  It could only be a disadvantage for me.    

Also, as others have stated, the WiFi has nothing to do with Gen4 vs Gen5.  And, again, as others have stated, you can use your old router with Gen5 and the HT2000W modem.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Gabe,

A quickie checklist:

HT2000w 5ghz.PNG

#1: Is the 5 Ghz tab selected?

#2: Is the 'radio' function turned on? (SSID Enable)

#3 Is the radio publicly discoverable? (SSID Broadcast

#4 Is an encryption type enabled that is accessable by your devices?

Off topiic but .... I'd use my own router.