Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HT2000W's 5Ghz radio not working.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Teaching Assistant

HT2000W's 5Ghz radio not working.

I noticed in the past that the 5Ghz radio never showed up as a connection option in my laptop, nor in my notebook.  Today, I actively tried connecting both my laptop and notebook, and even my TV, to the 5Ghz radio, and none will connect.  All three are capable of using the 5Ghz band.  I tried rebooting the modem a few times.  I tried the guest network.  I tried changing the security settings to older ones.  Nothing.  It's as if the 5Ghz radio isn't broadcasting at all.  It doesn't show up as an available network on anything.    

The 2.4Ghz band works perfectly for me, so it's not really a problem, but I just figured I would mention it.  I know from past posts that the 5Ghz radio seems to have a problem dropping the signal for some people, and a reboot of the modem brings it back up, but I can't get it to work at all.

With that said, even if the 5Ghz radio were working, I would still be using the 2.4Ghz band for all that I connect with wirelessly as that works fine for me.  There is no speed reduction between wired and wireless, so I'm fine with the way it is.  I was only trying the 5Ghz band as a test.  I was bored.  LOL.    

Perhaps when the next software release is downloaded it will be fixed.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • WiFi-Modem
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Teaching Assistant

Re: HT2000W's 5Ghz radio not working.

Okay.  Update.  

The neighbors have a newer Lenovo Thinkpad that most definitely does have the ability to connect using the 5Ghz band.  It was brought over.  It turns out my modem is fine.  It connected without issue.  We didn't really try anything with it other than just going to Google and doing a quick search.  That was enough, though.  

I feel like a schmuck.  LOL.  Smiley Sad 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
30 REPLIES
Advanced Tutor

I don't see it either on my list of networks -- I had posted about this a while back, and thought it was because my laptops didn't have the capability.  Maybe that's not it, though; maybe it's actually non-functional.  It's no big deal, since the other network works well, but I'm curious.  

It could also be 5Ghz radios, like Microsoft, don't like me. LOL

Teaching Assistant

They're in cahoots!!!!  That's what it is!  

Advanced Tutor

GabeU wrote:

They're in cahoots!!!!  That's what it is!  

It's a simple and elegant solution, I think. LOL

I'm also not getting the same blazing speeds others on Gen 5 are getting, and now the solution seems clear: satellites don't like me.

Teaching Assistant

maratsade wrote: 

I'm also not getting the same blazing speeds others on Gen 5 are getting, and now the solution seems clear: satellites don't like me.

I forgot about that.  That's just crazy.  I still don't get that.  Perhaps, in the future, they will make some adjustments to your beam or gateway to get your speeds up.  

Advanced Tutor

Hi Gabe,

A quickie checklist:

HT2000w 5ghz.PNG

#1: Is the 5 Ghz tab selected?

#2: Is the 'radio' function turned on? (SSID Enable)

#3 Is the radio publicly discoverable? (SSID Broadcast

#4 Is an encryption type enabled that is accessable by your devices?

Off topiic but .... I'd use my own router.

Teaching Assistant

@Gwalk900

Yes to all.  I even changed some things with the security (like you suggested for older Wifi cards), and that didn't help, either.  It's like it's not transmitting at all.  There's nothing there.  

Edit.  I have my netgear router, but it's not dual band, so it wouldn't make any difference if I used it.  It doesn't matter right now, though, as even if it connected and everything was fine, I'd still use the 2.4Ghz radio.  I was just testing it.  

Freshman

I am assuming you used two different SSIDs.  I'd be tempted to temporarily disable 2.4Ghz and see if anything changes.  Then I'd install a wardriving app or something similar on a 5GHz-capable device which shows me the nitty gritty on what's going over the air.

Advanced Tutor

GabeU wrote:

maratsade wrote: 

I forgot about that.  That's just crazy.  I still don't get that.  Perhaps, in the future, they will make some adjustments to your beam or gateway to get your speeds up.  

It's weird indeed -- the numbers show higher speeds, but the actual surfing speed doesn't seem any faster than before, and at times pages take more time to load up.  I'm sure it'll get fixed eventually.

Oddly, downloads from the Apple app store are much faster than before, which is very nice. So the speed is there, clearly, but the browsers haven't gotten the memo yet. Smiley Happy

Teaching Assistant

Care to list the exact model of wifi adapters/devices your using that can't see the 5Ghz band?

If it's a draft varient that those devices support, they may not be able to connect to any 5Ghz system.

Personal Machine: ECS B85H3-M | Intel i5 4460 | 16GB DDR3-1333 | eVGA 750Ti | Samsung 830 120GB
Server: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 | AMD FX8350 | 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC | Intel Quad Gigabit NIC | 3Ware 9650SE-12ML + BBU | 650w OCZ ZS PSU | eVGA LP 710 | 10x WD RE 4TB disks in Raid10