Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HT2000W's 5Ghz radio not working.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: HT2000W's 5Ghz radio not working.

@maratsade

They both see the 5Ghz network but will not connect?  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade

They both see the 5Ghz network but will not connect?  

They do connect after two or three tries.

So,  I am still confused with my speeds and how to set up my Router.  I tried changing the channel (I tried channel 11 and then 7).  The first speed test I do will have faster speeds but then if I retest 30 seconds later the speeds drop to around 25 Mbps.  If I dont make any changes to my router settings but just click save my first speed test is fast and then 30 seconds later slower.   I tried the built in Router and speeds stayed above 38 Mbps.   I tried turning off all Radios in my router but one and still got the same results.   

My router only has the following Encryption modes WPA2 PSK  --  WPA PSK  --  and WEP......    I assume WPA2 PSK is what I should use?

I figured I would try to completely restore my router to see if that would help.  I used the default WiFi settings with the default SSID and a random password.  I did a few speed tests and they all seamed higher.  I was entering quota limits for all my devices from a screenshot prior to restore and ended up having to restore to a backup file which I made before restoreing the router because I did not reconize a MAC address.  Speed tests are back in the 20's.  After I get everything wrote down I am going to do another complete restore and then manually enter everything and hopefully my speeds are all higher. 

Check out this speed test that I got.....  

speed.PNG

GabeU

@wildcats198308 wrote:

speed.PNG

Holy smokes!  If only that were a legitimate Hughesnet speed.  Can you imagine?  Smiley Happy

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
tlcfl
Freshman

I was having the same problems and made one change to get it working. (Apologies if the solution has already been posted.)

I simply changed the WPA Mode to "WPA/WPA2"

and

Security Type to "WPA-Personal"

It's now visible to all my devices (new and just a little "old").

Clint23Shannon
New Poster

We have had the gen 4 for almost 2yrs and had the 5ghz the whole time ...never losted it ever throughout the 2 years. We upgraded to the gen5..cause we was told it was 3x's faster & we wouldn't have to use our router & we would get the 5ghz . We had it put in on May the 26th 2017 and we have the 5ghz , but it just knocks us off the internet and has us to tap to configure to the 2ghz. Which we never had to do this with our gen4. We wouldn't have ever upgraded if we knew this was like this . We will have the 5ghz all day then boom it goes offline and can only get the 2ghz or we will have the 5ghz fir 2-4 days and get knocked off and have to configure to the 2ghz in the same spots or closer to the modem . We have tried everything to see why with there help. Nothing at all!! Getting fed up after going almost 2yrs with no problems with the Gen 4 to having this problem with the gen5. They say there's no difference between 5ghz & 2ghz. Well Google says as other reports say it as well that the difference it faster on the 5ghz than the 2ghz according to Google . They are sending out a new modem to see if that works.
They said if it doesn't then it's my stuff ( our smartphone which is a 1 &1/2 yr old Samsung galaxy note 5, a Sony tablet less than 2years old... )WTH? it was just fine with the Gen4 for 2 almost 2 years never one call after we got it up and running and this is driving me crazy!! I hate to be knocked off the internet!! PS we are usually only at 1 time running 2 smartphone on it . They wirk at every other place in town and other people's gen 5!! Grrrr
Clint23Shannon
New Poster

I did this and it didn't work at all!! Still having trouble!! With the 5ghz not working!!

@Clint23Shannon   If you have your own router I would just use that instead of using the HughesNet Gen5 built in router.   Your router is probably much better than the built in one which is pretty much a low end router.  I am not using the built in router myself. I rather use the router I had previously.  You can keep all your settings within your router, just plug it into the modem and every thing should work as it did before with Gen4.  When you are connected using your previous router go to  System Control Center (type 192.168.0.1 in your web browser address bar).  Go to WiFi settings at the left of the page the default password is admin if you have not changed it, uncheck the box next to SSID Enable under 2.4Ghz and also under 5Ghz.  Clicking save settings after each change.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@Clint23Shannon

It is true that the 5 Ghz band has the capacity  to be faster than 2.4 it is also true that it doesn't have the penetration.

The HT2000w Modem/wireless router is a new piece of equipment and as such can be expected to have a few bugs that need to get ironed out.

Not all of the wireless radios in Routers are created equal. They all have different "radiation patterns". Some are best suited to multi-story homes, others for long ranch style and so on. Router placement is very important ... central elevated locations are usually preferred. Adjustment of antennas is needed at times. Because the "radios" are internal to the HT2000w it can be difficult to elevate the Modem and the antennas are internal so they can't be tweeked in the normal sense.

There is no magical differance between Gen4 and Gen5 other than the greater capacity and speeds that Echostar19 offers. The only differance is that you chose to use the HT2000w's internal wireless radio rather than your own router.

I would suggest that you disable the wireless portion of the HT2000w and connect you old router. The IP addresses of the HT1100 you had with Gen4 and the IP of the new HT2000w are the same so no configuration changes need to be made.

Here is a link that will allow you to download the HT2000w User Guide and the more detailed Installation Guide:

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/1073.aspx

They will be the top two items on the list.

The install guide will provide you with detailed info on disabling the HT2000w radios.

IMHO the wireless portion of the HT2000w is not yet ready for prime-time ... so don't use it.

There is no way I would give up the functions and features of my Asus RT-AC3100.

Why stress? You were fine for 2 years with being double NAT'ed, you will be fine again using your own router.