Hidden Network

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lake_woman
Senior

Hidden Network

This is probebly crazy, but I'll ask anyway.

Is the Gen5 modem-wifi creating a hidden network? I've been noticing it every time that I turn on wifi on my Wondows 10 Surface Pro 3.

When I unplug the modem-wifi and use my ASUS router, it doesn't show up. It is only there when using Gen5 modem-wifi. It comes in super strong at same level as Gen5 wifi. My neighbor's router comes in at one bar.

Any ideas?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yes the signal is coming from your HT2000w...  You wont be able to connect to that signal, and the signal is disabled if you disable the Wifi on the modem.  

It's kind of like the USB port on the back of the HT1100... It's there for "future use", but, we have no idea when or if that future will ever come. 🙂

View solution in original post

You'll pardon my "clueles banter", but tone is as tone does.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

First question asked about hidden network. After thinking about it I asked 2 more questions.

I do not believe that Hughesnet is being transparent. I do not buy that they can do what they want and we have no choice.

When members ask specifically about the "Hidden Network" no explaination is given.

The "supposed experts" on this forum also have no answers as to the "hidden network". They chose to attack members wanting to know what is going on. WHY?

I'll just leave it at that.....

77 REPLIES 77

Hello

So I am still getting the same information as before - this SSID is attributed to the latest .35 software update (which everyone with a HT2000W should have now). It has been included to provide support for a future service from HughesNet. This will not affect your normal service or usage. If it is causing any connectivity problems somehow, please let me know.

Thanks

Amanda

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@Amanda wrote:

Hello

So I am still getting the same information as before - this SSID is attributed to the latest .35 software update (which everyone with a HT2000W should have now). It has been included to provide support for a future service from HughesNet. This will not affect your normal service or usage. If it is causing any connectivity problems somehow, please let me know.

Thanks

Amanda

"It has been included to provide support for a future service from HughesNet."

I bet it's the popcorn maker. 

I was hoping it automatically delivered Starbucks on demand.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I don't know, it still seems odd to me. Having something on my account that I cannot access. Who then, can access the Hidden Network? An explanation of what such future plans entail is needed.

What can this Hidden network access? It is on my account. Can it monitor the other wifi connections? Can it do what ever Hughesnet wants without the ability for me to know what it is doing?

I don't want to be a nuisance or be picky, however, a much better explaination is owed to us, the customers, and, an option to opt out if we so desire.

Without an adequate explanation of the purpose, it seems a bit shady to me.

Hughesnet, explain your intensions with the Hidden Network. We deserve to know.

1. Right now, no one can access it. It's apparently not operational. Even if someone could access it, only Hughes knows the hidden SSID.

2. Again, it can't access other wifi connections. And even if Hughes were to do so, they'd have to be within radio range of it. Considering that they are routing your data within the satellite network and could access the modem remotely, driving to your house to do something nefarious with your modem would be unfeasible, if not practicable.

3. They've provided the explanation that it's for future use. They don't have to be more specific if they're not charging you extra for something that wasn't there before. Right now, it's just an undocumented innocuous feature that's most likely just being tested before they roll something out later.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I still don't understand what the furor over this is. It's completely inert and harmless. Unless it's impacting the service you're paying for (which it isn't) there is absolutely zero need for concern, nor to imagine it impacts your security.

When they are ready to tell us what it is they will tell us, but there's no point in describing a potential feature if they've not even decided it's feasible to implement it. Then they'd be accused of bait n' switch: "So where is this such-n-such you promised us....", "you said we'd have this-n-that...", "you didn't produce...."

See my point?

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I still don't understand what the furor over this is.

People get kind of edgy when something pops and they not only don't know what it's for, but can't control it, either.  And, many people tend to immediately jump to the worst possible scenario, or what is worst to them, at least.  Perhaps thinking it's there so "someone" can spy on them or their habits, or even glean personal information.  Perhaps thinking it's there so their data can be secretly drained (you know that one's coming).  Some people just get jumpy when it comes to things like this.  That's nothing against those people, of course, just the reality of something like this.  People take new things different ways.     

With that said, it doesn't bother me.

I also checked my laptop today.  Sure enough, it's there now that I have the new modem software.  Whether every radio box is checked or unchecked, including the two under the main Advanced Wireless page, it's there.   

Who knows, maybe it will enable them to offer some type of remote access tech service in the future, sort of like Microsoft is able to do if your system is having a hiccup and you enable them to do so.  It could even be some future special radio access that only on site techs can utilize when troubleshooting the system. For those settings that customers shouldn't be tooling around in, or even looking at.  Normally, I tend to imagine the beneficial possibilities instead of the others.  🙂

I still want it to deliver my coffee. Breakfast Blend or Pikes Place... either one will do.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

I still want it to deliver my coffee. Breakfast Blend or Pikes Place... either one will do.

I'm with you, there! 

And some Popeyes chicken.  😛

Popeyes is a bit heavy for me.

Closer in to DC there are a lot of Chilean and Peruvian chicken places and they are awesome. You haven't lived until you've had half an Andean chicken breast with fried plantain.

Not as awesome as that, Gainesville is now one of the few places in the US to have a (cheeky) Nandos.

GabeU

Ah.  I used to live in Manassas, but moved away in early 2000.  The area wasn't quite as built up then, espcially Gainesville.  They had a few things there, but I know it's gotten MUCH bigger since then and there's a lot more to do, including the increase in types of restaurants.  

Would love to go back there one day, if nothing more than to visit.  

I've been in the area since '87. It is so much different now you wouldn't believe.

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

Ah.  I used to live in Manassas, but moved away in early 2000.  The area wasn't quite as built up then, espcially Gainesville.  They had a few things there, but I know it's gotten MUCH bigger since then and there's a lot more to do, including the increase in types of restaurants.  

Would love to go back there one day, if nothing more than to visit.  

Manassas is huge these days.

maratsade

@MarkJFine wrote:

Popeyes is a bit heavy for me.

Closer in to DC there are a lot of Chilean and Peruvian chicken places and they are awesome. You haven't lived until you've had half an Andean chicken breast with fried plantain.

I love fried plantain. Could that be added to the hidden network?  (OMG, I just realized what the hidden network is. Hughes is creating its own dark web).

maratsade

"I also checked my laptop today.  Sure enough, it's there now that I have the new modem software.  Whether every radio box is checked or unchecked, including the two under the main Advanced Wireless page, it's there."

It's hilarious that something labeled "hidden" can be seen by everyone.  Although it doesn't show on my Mac, only on my Windows machines. 

@maratsade

Little bit Mac trick I picked up once:
1. Hold down Ctrl+Opt and click on the wifi symbol in the menu bar. An expanded menu will show with gobs of useful information.

2. Click on Open Wireless Diagnostics in that menu. A window will appear, but what you want is the menu for it in the menu bar.

3. Choose Window->Scan from the menu bar. A wifi scanner window will appear showing all of the wifi signals in the area.

4. Clicking the Scan button to refresh the display, because the signal with the blank SSID won't show immediately (which is why I don't think it's actually 'on' all the time, either). You will be able to tell which one it is because it has all the same markers as the main wifi network it belongs to (mac address, security, protocol, etc.)

Clearly there's lots more to this. It used to be available from the Utilities folder and I have no idea why they took it out.

maratsade

@MarkJFine

Thanks for the tips! I've used Macs for years and had never used the control or the option keys. I had no idea what they did.

I followed your instructions but the hidden network must be very well hidden by my Mac because it didn't appear on the list. I see the same networks as when I just click the wifi icon. 

@maratsade

May have to click the Scan button, wait, and repeat until it shows. I think it just goes on periodically and you have to catch it at the right time.

maratsade

I did click the Scan button, but only one time.  I'll try scanning a few times to summon the malevolent hidden network. 🙂  I understand after that there's no going back, and doom is certain to come. 🙂

@maratsade

Cybermen! Lol... I like your style.

maratsade

cyberman.jpg

They're watching!