Hidden Network

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lake_woman
Senior

Hidden Network

This is probebly crazy, but I'll ask anyway.

Is the Gen5 modem-wifi creating a hidden network? I've been noticing it every time that I turn on wifi on my Wondows 10 Surface Pro 3.

When I unplug the modem-wifi and use my ASUS router, it doesn't show up. It is only there when using Gen5 modem-wifi. It comes in super strong at same level as Gen5 wifi. My neighbor's router comes in at one bar.

Any ideas?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yes the signal is coming from your HT2000w...  You wont be able to connect to that signal, and the signal is disabled if you disable the Wifi on the modem.  

It's kind of like the USB port on the back of the HT1100... It's there for "future use", but, we have no idea when or if that future will ever come. 🙂

View solution in original post

You'll pardon my "clueles banter", but tone is as tone does.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

First question asked about hidden network. After thinking about it I asked 2 more questions.

I do not believe that Hughesnet is being transparent. I do not buy that they can do what they want and we have no choice.

When members ask specifically about the "Hidden Network" no explaination is given.

The "supposed experts" on this forum also have no answers as to the "hidden network". They chose to attack members wanting to know what is going on. WHY?

I'll just leave it at that.....

77 REPLIES 77
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

OK, so, multple scans until Cthulhu popped in to tell me to quit it.   No hidden network shows up, even though it shows up on the list of networks on my Windows machine.  I guess the Mac is not picking it up. 

Cthulhu.jpg

@maratsade

I'm like 3' from the modem so that could be it. I probably should go direct wired, but I hate those thunderbolt-to-ethernet adaptors - they get pretty hot!

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

@MarkJFine wrote:

@maratsade

I'm like 3' from the modem so that could be it. I probably should go direct wired, but I hate those thunderbolt-to-ethernet adaptors - they get pretty hot!

Ditto. I bought one of those adaptors and don't like it at all.

maratsade

double post-- sorry

No, I do not see your point.

We were not notified that there would be an update that would give us an Hidden Network. It just showed up out of nowhere, no explaination at all.

Then when discovered and questioned, nebulis answers.

Cyber security is scarey and I need to knpw exactly what Hughesnet is doing to my account. PERIOD.

When was the last time you were given notice of an update and what was in that update.

Does it help you to know that I was formerly in the cyber security buisness for a major defense contractor and I'm still telling you there's no issue?

NO

@MarkJFine wrote:

When was the last time you were given notice of an update and what was in that update.

Does it help you to know that I was formerly in the cyber security buisness for a major defense contractor and I'm still telling you there's no issue?

NO

So clearly the answer is "NO".

Oh well... Sorry to hear that. Can't please everyone.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I can assure you, they are not using that hidden network to hack into your private network, if that is what you are worried about. There would be HUGE legal consequences if they did that.

maratsade

@BirdDog wrote:

I can assure you, they are not using that hidden network to hack into your private network, if that is what you are worried about. There would be HUGE legal consequences if they did that.

Or ARE they?  Muahahahahahahah!

maratsade

@MarkJFine wrote:

I think it's likely to make the user even more nervous.... Are you part of this evil, Mark? ARE YOU???  🙂

@maratsade

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men..."The Shadow.jpg

Y'all can have your fun and clueless banter, however, I have completely turned off ALL wifi from the Gen5 modem and am using my Asus router exclusively.

It is a problem when asking Hughesnet about changes that are seen and no explanation has been made. It is also a problem when "so-called" experts are rude and condesending to members asking or stating concerns.

I choose to be cautious rather than be naive. Also, the rude responses are not expected from members that are supposedly knowledgeable. When tempted to be mean, log off.

I'm sorry you feel that several people who have tried to properly inform you didn't give you the answer you wanted.

That's not being rude, it's trying to be informative.

Quite frankly, the only one who continues to take a rough tone in this thread has been you, but we've overlooked that.

Again, I'm sorry you feel this way, it is certainly not our intent.

I think we could have taken a better tone to @lake_woman

There is certainly nothing wrong in questioning the security of our networks.

I have always felt that my Router held the "keys to my Network Kindom". My Network, My Router, My Rules.

While I have don't believe that Hughes has anything up their sleeve AND we are all behind a CGN server I still like to have as much control over my network as I can muster.

While I am still, and shall remain on Gen4, I would not enable the wireless portion of the HT2000w.

I will continue to use my Asus RT-AC3100

You'll pardon my "clueles banter", but tone is as tone does.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Or use a third party router as I would do if I ever did go to Gen 5, problem solved. I like having a router that shows usage by device, the HT2000W does not.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

Or use a third party router as I would do if I ever did go to Gen 5, problem solved. I like having a router that shows usage by device, the HT2000W does not.

That's my issue with my netgear router.  It gives total traffic, but doesn't break it down.  Total is better than nothing, though, and most likely more accurate than Glasswire, I suppose.  

If I used my laptop on a more regular basis, I might invest in one of those Asus routers that can utilize the Merlin software/firmware.  

Arrogance is ignorance.

I do not have to accept your arrogance in your answers.

This forum is SUPPOSED to be helpful. You're arrogance IS NOT HELPFUL.

Attacking a member is counterproductive and only serves to cause other members to fear asking simple questions. Backoff and HELP the community instead of being bullies with harmful responses.

No one was attacking you, yet you seem to be taking a lot of this personally.

This conversation is done as far as I'm concerned.

Have a nice day.