Hidden Network

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lake_woman
Senior

Hidden Network

This is probebly crazy, but I'll ask anyway.

Is the Gen5 modem-wifi creating a hidden network? I've been noticing it every time that I turn on wifi on my Wondows 10 Surface Pro 3.

When I unplug the modem-wifi and use my ASUS router, it doesn't show up. It is only there when using Gen5 modem-wifi. It comes in super strong at same level as Gen5 wifi. My neighbor's router comes in at one bar.

Any ideas?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yes the signal is coming from your HT2000w...  You wont be able to connect to that signal, and the signal is disabled if you disable the Wifi on the modem.  

It's kind of like the USB port on the back of the HT1100... It's there for "future use", but, we have no idea when or if that future will ever come. 🙂

View solution in original post

You'll pardon my "clueles banter", but tone is as tone does.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

First question asked about hidden network. After thinking about it I asked 2 more questions.

I do not believe that Hughesnet is being transparent. I do not buy that they can do what they want and we have no choice.

When members ask specifically about the "Hidden Network" no explaination is given.

The "supposed experts" on this forum also have no answers as to the "hidden network". They chose to attack members wanting to know what is going on. WHY?

I'll just leave it at that.....

77 REPLIES 77

First question asked about hidden network. After thinking about it I asked 2 more questions.

I do not believe that Hughesnet is being transparent. I do not buy that they can do what they want and we have no choice.

When members ask specifically about the "Hidden Network" no explaination is given.

The "supposed experts" on this forum also have no answers as to the "hidden network". They chose to attack members wanting to know what is going on. WHY?

I'll just leave it at that.....

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@lake_woman

We honestly can't give anymore than what we already know with out taking wild guesses which may or may not be true.

Hughesnet will tell us what it's there for, if, and when, they decide to enable the use of the network.  They have traditionally been more transparent than other internet providers in the past, however before new products come to market, they remain tight lipped about things.

Then DO NOT attack members wanting to know what is going on.

Plain and simple, you guys do not know what the heck is going on. DO NOT ATTACK MEMBERS ASKING VIABLE QUESTIONS. There are reasons that you cannot answer. MYSTERIOUS!

I dont understand,  from what posts I have read I did not see anything being ignorant or attacking.   Maybe the comments about it being used for a popcorn maker?  If so, they must not have seen the video about Gen5 which was made as a joke, where this comment came up.  It was not made to be ignorant or anything to anyone, just a joke.  Other than that I do not know.   

This issue has been marked by the OP several times as being solved.

Think it needs to be locked down and stowed by the admins (if that's still possible) so it can't continue to feed on itself.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Excellent idea, Mark. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lake_woman wrote:

It is a problem when asking Hughesnet about changes that are seen and no explanation has been made. 

No.  It's not a problem asking about changes that are seen and no explanation has been made.  Not at all.  You asked.  You were answered.  You accepted the answer as a solution, and thanked the person for answering the mystery.  

You then proceed to post that you are not only owed further explanation, but wouldn't even accept the explanation you received from an official rep, nor from anyone else basically telling you the same thing.  

You just don't like the explanation you are receiving, and seem to be demanding to know just exactly what the hidden network is, and what it's for.  

They aren't required to notify you of an update, nor anything about it, unless it directly affects your service.  It didn't.  They aren't required to tell you what the hidden network is, nor what it's for, beyond the explanation that has already been given, and that was most likely a courtesy that wasn't required, either.  You immediately assume that it could be something nefarious.  First, it can't be accessed by anyone.  Second, there are laws governing what can and can't be accessed by a provider, and this hidden network isn't something to circumnavigate those laws.  They aren't spying on you.  

That you don't like the answer you received is just something you're going to have to deal with.   No one is having fun with "clueless banter."  That you turn it off?  Fine.  I have it turned off, too.

Being cautious is fine, and even good.  Demanding more information because you don't like the answers you have already received is another story.  You are in no position to demand anything regarding this hidden network, nor the update that contained its implementation.  It's there.  It's for a future service.  It's not spying on you.  No one can utilize it at this time.     

With that, I will comment no more regarding your posts.  Good day to you.  

To add:  At least with me, the tone is basically due to demanding further explanation.  That's all.  Asking is one thing.  Demanding is another.    

GabeU

@lake_woman wrote: 

We were not notified that there would be an update that would give us an Hidden Network. It just showed up out of nowhere, no explaination at all.

No one was notified because it's a modem update, not a service update.  Hughesnet isn't required to let you, nor anyone else, know.  Nor are they required to tell you what it's for, nor anything else about it.  About the only thing they may answer is..."Is it a security concern?"  I'm sure the answer will be, "no."      

As has already been stated..."It has been included to provide support for a future service from HughesNet. This will not affect your normal service or usage."

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@lake_woman

While you may dislike that there is a "hidden" network (it's only named that because the devices you are using don't know the name, it's not actually hidden), it doesn't harm you having it there in the slightest.  If you want to be notified of future changes, I suggest becoming a major stakeholder in Echostar, then you will be notified of future changes.

• The network in question is secure
  • The network in question has no SSID visible, only devices that know the SSID could begin a connection.
  • The network in question is most likely using a passphrase that no one could guess, nor crack, and that's if they could first figure out the SSID
  • The network in question doesn't change your service in the slightest, it's not part of your "account".

The simple truth is, it's there, for future uses, if Hughesnet really wanted to spy on you, they wouldn't do it in any manor that you could detect, nor never know.  They haven't made a change to your account, they have made a change to the modem, a change that removes absolutely nothing from your service.

maratsade

@MarkJFine wrote:

I was hoping it automatically delivered Starbucks on demand.

You know, it may end up being a combination Siri and matter replicator, so we can all ask it to materialize what we want (coffee, popcorn, chicken, beer....).  

GabeU

Okay, an update (ugh, I should be in bed!).  

We know that unchecking the boxes for the four radios on the Home page (2.4 and guest, and 5 and guest) turns off the radios, or at least the SSID broadcast and SSID enable, but leaves the hidden network still broadcasting.  I found out that if one unchecks the two boxes under the Wireless setting in the Advanced Setup, it turns off the hidden network, too.  

Because of that, I think @MarkJFine may be right, and that unchecking the individual radio boxes on the Home page (or the duplicates in the Advanced Setup section) only stops the SSID Broadcast and SSID Enable, and that unchecking each box for each radio under the Wireless setting in the Advanced Setup actually turns off the radios all together.  After all, if the former actually turned the radios off, how could they broadcast the hidden network?  

What brought me to this is not only the hidden network disappearing when the box for each radio was unchecked on the Wireless page, but also that when those boxes are unchecked the WiFi light on the modem goes out, whereas unchecking only the boxes for the four radios (or the duplicates in Advanced Setup section) does NOT turn that light off.  

With all of this said, I don't believe turning ONLY the hidden network off is possible (maybe...see below picture), but, as explained in many posts, having it on isn't a problem.  

Unchecking these two boxes, I believe, as stated above, actually turns the radios themselves off....

Radios.JPG

With all of this said, I don't know if the hidden network transmits on both the 2.4Ghz radio and the 5Ghz radio, or just the 2.4Ghz radio, as my laptop can only utilize the 2.4Ghz band.  

If it does only broadcast from the 2.4Ghz radio, and one can utilize the 5Ghz band, then, in theory, one could uncheck the 2.4Ghz box and get rid of the hidden network, and still use the WiFi with the 5Ghz radio.  Someone would have to test this.  I can't.  Again, though, the hidden network is nothing to worry about, but if one still does, this might work.    

Thanks for reading!  🙂

I have the same 'hidden network' that just began showing up everytime I turn on my hughesnet modem/router.  I'm not fine with this explanation.  I have been on the phone with tech support for hours and they just keep saying they can't help me because they can't see the hidden network on their end.  I want it gone!  It wasn't there 3 days ago and I want it gone now.  I'm sensitive to wifi signals so I have turned all but 1 of the 2.4g wifi connections off in my modem's administrative area.  I am not able to access or turn off the hidden network.  I don't want it broadcasting through my home for 'future use'.  That is not okay with me and I will report Hughesnet to the Federal Communications Commissioin if it doesn't get turned off very soon!

MarkJFine
Professor

@lake_woman

Short answer is: It's possible.

If your primary 2.4GHz and 5GHz and/or associated Guest wifi channels are enabled without the SSID being broadcast it will be "hidden" - basically signals with blank names. You would only be able to use it if you knew the SSID. This is to prevent people from detecting, then also hacking into your wifi - they'd now need two pieces of information (SSID and password - if set) instead of one (just the password).

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Then there is what @C0RR0SIVE and @MarkJFine said which also applies. I was looking at it more from the signal side than hardware configuration side. I have bias as a radio tech background, always look at signal properties first. Distorts my view sometimes.