Hughesnet Community

How do I get a report on total data usage for a billing cycle?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robitron
Freshman

How do I get a report on total data usage for a billing cycle?

Okay, so according to this link https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi... the Hughesnet page 192.168.0.1

shows a report on data usage? Where is this report?

I check that site almost daily as my family uses our 50G of data in less than two weeks. So I'd love to see a report of exactly how much data we use in a billing cycle. Of course, since most of the month, we're in FAP (whatever that is) I don't know how it would accurately show how much data we use, I'd still love to see some estimate! Did I understand that right from the post?

Also, the data calculator link listed In it isn't functioning properly according to the tech support guy I talked to over there. For instance, there was no way to get the data you enter to calculate (which is sort of the whole point. lol)

Anyway, so how can I find out how much data we are using in total (even in approximation).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Robitron 

HughesNet has a prioritization policy in place right now that favors work and schooling related activities because of the pandemic related increase in traffic on the system.  Things like gaming downloads are taking a back seat during times of high volume, which is pretty much right around the clock at this point.  Because of this, game updates can take a very long time.  

There's no way to get any kind of a report like you're describing from HughesNet.  About the only thing you can do is use a router with data usage tallying capabilities.  Most can these days, but the ones that can tally by device cost a good bit more.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
maratsade

At the top of this site's pages, mouseover My Account, then click Usage.  You may have to log in again.  Then click View History.

maratsade

FAP stands for Fair Access Policy.  Once you exceed your data allowance, your speed is reduced. 

"I check that site almost daily as my family uses our 50G of data in less than two weeks."

I have monitored my own hourly usage for a month.  Doing normal stuff like email and regular browsing, I use 100 MB per hour.  If I do more data intensive stuff, I use 200 MB or more.  That quickly adds up.  If you factor in family members using the network, you will see how the data gets used very fast.  Satellite internet is limited and it provides only a small amount of data.  Strict budgeting is essential, or you can buy tokens. 

Thanks for the input. I'm confused though because I don't see a "my account" anywhere.  When I type in 192.168.0.1 it takes me to 192.168.0.1/#!/home/bist and there is no "my account" listed.

And yeah, I know it all adds up but I want to know just how much it's adding up.

maratsade

My fault - I wasn't clear.  You need to use this site. Look toward the top of the page and use My Account -> Usage.

GabeU

@Robitron 

The data usage the modem page shows is the following...

Capture.JPG

If it's not showing this, try refreshing the page.  You can try this modem address, as well.  

It only shows a total, not what's using the data.  You can see daily breakdowns in the HughesNet Usage Meter (Usage History) and by signing into the HughesNet MyAccount site and clicking on Usage, then clicking on View History.  

Individual devices can use either built in data usage apps or those that are available for the operating systems they'e using.  For Windows based computers, the most recommended is Glasswire, though it only monitors the data usage of the computer it's installed on. 

A few high data activities are streaming, game updates and using the cloud.  Another is satellite TV receivers, even if no on-demand viewing ever takes place.  Because of this, HughesNet recommends against connecting satellite TV receivers to their service.

With all of this said, the best and easiest way to see from a single location how much data each device is using is by connecting and using a 3rd party WiFi router that has that capability.  HughesNet itself doesn't offer a data usage breakdown by device.

Yeah, I appreciate all of this but I was hoping for a report that shows my actual data usage.  I know we've already used 50 gigs.  What I was hoping to find out is how much over that 50 gigs we've gone while in FAP.  Have we actually used 65 gigs?  100 gigs?  

So I guess I misunderstood the implication of the word "report."  

Again, thanks for the help and input.

See, here's the issue.  On Wednesday at around 9 pm the game I was playing on my xbox one said it needed to be updated.  It is now 9:55 pm on Friday and I've only gotten 2.81 GB downloaded out of 14.77 GB.  So I'm trying to figure out how much data we're using right now because at this rate, 14.77 GB will not be done downloading for probably over a month (minus hopefully when our data resets in 9 days).

I know that the entire world wide web is seeing usage like it's never seen before so traffic is getting all jammed up but still this much of a traffic jam?  Especially when we've still got off peak data remaining.  So if I could get a detailed report of how much data we are using at what times in the day (including the off peak data), maybe I can figure out if there's possibly something wrong on my end or if there's some issue somewhere that needs further addressing.  

Does that make sense?

GabeU

@Robitron 

HughesNet has a prioritization policy in place right now that favors work and schooling related activities because of the pandemic related increase in traffic on the system.  Things like gaming downloads are taking a back seat during times of high volume, which is pretty much right around the clock at this point.  Because of this, game updates can take a very long time.  

There's no way to get any kind of a report like you're describing from HughesNet.  About the only thing you can do is use a router with data usage tallying capabilities.  Most can these days, but the ones that can tally by device cost a good bit more.

GabeU

@Robitron 

You may also want to take a look at what your overall speed is.  You can do so by running tests as outlined here.  Keep in mind, though, that this is only going to give you your overall speed, not the speed of a particular activity, as the results will be from testing with a single, LAN connected device and with the WiFi in the HT2000W disabled, and overall speed can often be very different from activity speed.

Yeah, like I said, I know that traffic is very high right now and I also do know that HN is prioritizing work and school and I can appreciate that.  I just thought that maybe there might be some other issue that could be at play here on my end, with my router or xbox.  I'll check that link you posted and see if it can help.

Thanks for your help and patience. 

And a very special shout out to Joshua at phone tech support for staying the course through this crisis and maintaining a positive professional attitude through it all!  He tried to help me but I think he was just too overwhelmed to get what I was saying.  Still though, he was great and I appreciated him all the more for just being there!

GabeU

@Robitron 

You're welcome.   

There was a time when HughesNet was looking into a page where you could actually see data usage by device, but as far as I know it didn't go any further than an idea.  I don't know if it was a logistical issue or just too much or too complex of a thing to be able to put into the modem with all it's doing already, but hopefully they will have something like that one day.  Maybe with Gen 6.  🙂

It would be nice to have that data per device.  I can see how such a thing could be difficult especially since everything is going online.  But I wasn't really looking per device, I was looking for overal usage.  For instance.  Data Plan: 25 GB Actual Data Used:  45 GB  (Just an example)

That way I could then say "ah, okay so I went 20 GB over my plan.  Maybe I need to increase my plan to 50 GB.  Or even the opposite.

Data Plan:  50 GB  Actual Data Used:  23 GB

See what I'm saying.  For plan management.

As for the Xbox, it turns out that was an issue on their end.  I was finally able to get support from them and we found out that something had gotten broken.  They escalated it and now it's up and running again.  But that was a different issue than this topic.

Again, thanks for the help.  Stay safe and heathy.

#playapartogether  

GabeU

@Robitron 

Oh, no doubt.  I only meant that it would kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, with both a total and the breakdown.  

I'd still take a look at some inexpensive routers on your preferred electronics site.  I know that just about all Netgear routers can use the Genie app, and that app can show total data usage from any date that you set, and they can do it on a rolling basis (resetting to zero on the same date every month).  If you do end up going the way of a 3rd party router, make sure it's dual band, as you want it to have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi capabilities.  You don't have to spend a lot for a decent one, especially if you're not looking for the latest and greatest with all the bells and whistles.  You could probably get something decent, like a Netgear R6120 or R6230, for under $70.  Don't get me wrong, I know $70 isn't small potatoes, especially with what's going on for many right now, but I only meant in comparison to the ones that cost hundreds.  

I can't speak for other brands, but I'm sure at least some of them have similar apps that can show that kind of information from them, thought you'd have to ask on that manufacturer's website, or even the store website (I ask questions on Amazon all the time before buying electronics).