cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fallteeth
New Poster

Hughesnet usage meter

Hi everybody,

I have Hughesnet usage meter 6.6.0 installed on Windows 8.1. Clicking on the icon won't open the app. Any ideas/

Your help is appreciated.

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

fallteeth, first click on the little up arrow in lower right tray, then cutomize. Then choose to show notifications and icon. The meter opens into the tray when the desktop icon is clicked. You have to double click on the tray icon to actually open the meter.

tray icon 1.JPGtray icon 2.JPG

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
motobojo
Junior

You might need to be a bit more specific about the context you discribe.  For example, where is the icon you click on?  Is it in your system tray or on your desktop.  On my legacy HN7000S system the status meter icon on my desktop merely launches the status meter into the background mode which then makes the icon show up in my system tray.  Left clicking on the system tray icon prompts a summary display.  Right-clicking the same system tray icon offers up a context menu. 

I hope that helps.

fallteeth
New Poster

It's on my desktop.

So if your newer version works like my older version the desktop icon merely launches the background application ... hence it will appear to do very little (especially if the background application is already running).  Do you see a similar icon in your system tray?  If so, try right clicking on it to get a context menu or left-clicking on it for a summary status.  Hovering over it should also bring up a tiny status message. 

Hopefully, someone with experience with the newer (your) version will answer ... I'm just offering what suggestions I can to try to help out until then.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

fallteeth, first click on the little up arrow in lower right tray, then cutomize. Then choose to show notifications and icon. The meter opens into the tray when the desktop icon is clicked. You have to double click on the tray icon to actually open the meter.

tray icon 1.JPGtray icon 2.JPG

Due to recent computer issue I have upgraded to the latest status meter. I don't like it at all.

Does anyone have a link to the previous version with the status bar showing how close you are to your limits for the month?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sorry Ricky, no help here. The file I uploaded awhile back turned into an ad bot and I don't have the older version stored anywhere that I've found. Hopefully someone else might have it. Seems maybe C0RR0SIVE uploaded it someplace not too long ago.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Ricky wrote:

Due to recent computer issue I have upgraded to the latest status meter. I don't like it at all.

Does anyone have a link to the previous version with the status bar showing how close you are to your limits for the month?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp35ou6jpo9ocdr/Status%20Meter%20Modification.zip?dl=0

@Ricky This contains both 6.5.x and 6.6.x, as well as files and instructions to prevent either version from doing the annoying "Update to the new version" junk...  Use at your own risk, there are disclaimers inside the zip file... Neither Hughesnet, nor I am responsible for anything that may occur should you elect to use the modified status meter files, or even click that link.

I HIGHLY suggest sticking to 6.6.x though as it's required if you ever go to a Gen5 style service plan on either of the satellite systems.

Perfect. I am running 6.5 since I am still on Gen 4 with no plans to upgrade as long as she runs as good as it is now. Or I can't stand it anymore and need the new stuff. hahahaha

Thanks!

Whoever designed the usage meter did a terrible job!  At first (and second) glance, it looks like you've already topped out your data limit!  It's a very bad graph.  I find myself spending hours on the web looking for something better.  Hughes, this is disappointing.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@sagehawk1wrote:

Whoever designed the usage meter did a terrible job!  At first (and second) glance, it looks like you've already topped out your data limit!  It's a very bad graph.  I find myself spending hours on the web looking for something better.  Hughes, this is disappointing.

How so?  

Thanks alot for your help everybody

I have the usage meter 6.6 installed and when downloaded initially it works just fine. Next day it will not open. Since I saved it in Downloads I download once more and it states the Hughes Usage Meter is running and will have to close to complete install which is fine. It will work from the taskbar usually for a day but next day will not work. I have repeated the download process a few times and all works well but never the next day. It is no big deal but something is not compatible with my Windows 10 Pro.

GabeU

@edward10

This may sound a little ludicrous, but when you have the Usage Meter window open, go into the settings and uncheck "launch on startup."  Click save, and wait for it to do so.  Then, after the confirmation message has disappeared, do the same, but put the check mark back on "launch on startup."  Click save again, then wait for the confirmation message to disappear.  Then close the Usage Meter window, restart your computer, and see if it starts automatically.  

I don't know why, but I've had an issue in the past with it not opening on its own.  I did what I mentioned above and it seems to have fixed the problem.  I don't know if the Meter just didn't catch that it was supposed to start automatically on computer startup and going through above gave it a kick, but whatever the case it worked for me.  I can't guarantee that it will work, but it certainly couldn't hurt to try.  

maratsade

" I don't know if the Meter just didn't catch that it was supposed to start automatically on computer startup and going through above gave it a kick, but whatever the case it worked for me.  I can't guarantee that it will work, but it certainly couldn't hurt to try. "

This doesn't work for me, but it seems I may have the "special" edition of Win 10 Home. 🙂

Yeah I experience the same problem.  Every other program icon on planet Earth opens and displays its program but this thing had be believing I had a misload.  I uninstalled it and nothing changed.  I finally tossed the shortcut in the recycle bin where it belonged.  You have to find the program down in the task bar.  Between this and the way the crappy data usage meter is designed, I'm surpised the person who wrote that code hasn't been fired yet.