I need a bridge

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldSnag
Freshman

I need a bridge

HN has a lovely idea in their extender - except that there's no ethernet port for me to connect a device that isn't wi-fi.  I'm not particularly tech savy (I can help wrench an old flathead but arthritis gets in the way).  On a fixed income, I'm really frugal.  Is someone more knowledgeable with this tech able and willing to show me what interface device is reliable and has a non-voliatble memory (I live in the mountains) as well as congruent with HN?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I do not, unfortunately, short of hard wiring things.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The mods are on site during business hours M-F, and they should be able to help. 

Thanks.  Lookinh at converting the output to wifi with one device and then adding another to be a wi-fi extender ...?

I have  to span a fenced yard, from the garage to my home to receive the output of my  security system.  Folk fleeing the cities are a nightmare in a forest, clueless, luring mountain lions, bears, and coyotes in close, in numbers.  Add in illegal growers and the elements that attrracts and now the system has to go live indoors.  The bandwidth on the 5GHz band won't be an issue as there won't be anything else logged on after my partner logs off at the end of the day and I can download any system alerts (it has facial recognition as well as motion detection and continuous recording in HD).

Kudon to HN  for getting us through the surge in telecommuters last year, when the landline infrastructures crashed repeatedly! 

maratsade

I wonder if  fellow subscriber @MarkJFine would know anything about how to effect what you want to do. I sure don't. 😞 

I hope you can get the system set up the way you want to so you can continue to protect your property.

Here's  one reason why finding a solution is pretty important.

https://youtu.be/82uuynHgd64

I do not, unfortunately, short of hard wiring things.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I have an idea; I suppose I should run it past the Administrators first, but I'm not tech enough to know if I'd mess things up:

I found I can get an interface that converts etthernet out into 802.11n Wi-Fi.  Would that work with HNs Extender safely?

.....I really hate being new to epilepsy.......

I'm TBI for 30 years already.  My apologies - my typing sucks.

Hard wiring will be my solution, encasing it inGerman Shepherd proof pipe (there's little topsoil - it's a granite ridge).

My apologies for inappropriate posts irrelevant to the forum, and my thanks for the guidance.

maratsade

Good luck with everything, OldSnag, and thanks for the video of the bear!