Hughesnet Community

Increased speed after exceeding the monthly data plan.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Albert_S
Freshman

Increased speed after exceeding the monthly data plan.

I saw this posted in the annoucnements - "we’ve increased the speed you receive if you exceed the amount of data in your monthly service plan". What speed should we be getting? It seems like this hasn't increased (last test download = 2.3Mbps, upload = unmeasurable). Also, is Hughesnet thinking of increasing data limits since many of us are working from home?

Thank you,

Albert 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

They have not said what throttled speed will be. Regardless of what speed they have increased it to, you should not expect to get that speed, as speeds are (1) not guaranteed (see the subscriber agreement), and (2) dependent on many variables, including traffic.  Speeds currently are much slower because of all the people at home using the system at once. 

They will not increase data caps.  Satellite internet is limited, and all subscribers must share this limited data. Unlike terrestrial cable, satellite ISPs can't increase caps without launching new satellites.

Best practice: budget your data allowance and do the best you can with the data and speed you have. 

Albert_S wrote:

I saw this posted in the annoucnements - "we’ve increased the speed you receive if you exceed the amount of data in your monthly service plan". What speed should we be getting? It seems like this hasn't increased (last test download = 2.3Mbps, upload = unmeasurable). Also, is Hughesnet thinking of increasing data limits since many of us are working from home?

Thank you,

Albert 

View solution in original post

GabeU

@Albert_S 

If you're seeing a noticeable difference in speed between when you have data and when you do not, and you need the higher speed for something, purchasing data tokens may be of benefit to you.  However, if you can deal with the throttled speed after you've exhausted your data, I wouldn't bother.  Plus, as time goes on, the speed of the service while you have plan or token data will likely drop due to the ever increasing strain on the system.  

So, whether you buy tokens is really up to you, but I would make sure you really need to before you do.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade

They have not said what throttled speed will be. Regardless of what speed they have increased it to, you should not expect to get that speed, as speeds are (1) not guaranteed (see the subscriber agreement), and (2) dependent on many variables, including traffic.  Speeds currently are much slower because of all the people at home using the system at once. 

They will not increase data caps.  Satellite internet is limited, and all subscribers must share this limited data. Unlike terrestrial cable, satellite ISPs can't increase caps without launching new satellites.

Best practice: budget your data allowance and do the best you can with the data and speed you have. 

Albert_S wrote:

Thank you,

Albert 

OK, thanks for the info.

Sorry to jump back in on this, but are you advising not purchasing more data? Seems like they won't be able to handle it with all the increased need.

Thanks,

Albert

GabeU

@Albert_S 

If you're seeing a noticeable difference in speed between when you have data and when you do not, and you need the higher speed for something, purchasing data tokens may be of benefit to you.  However, if you can deal with the throttled speed after you've exhausted your data, I wouldn't bother.  Plus, as time goes on, the speed of the service while you have plan or token data will likely drop due to the ever increasing strain on the system.  

So, whether you buy tokens is really up to you, but I would make sure you really need to before you do.

OK, great. Makes sense.

Take care.

GabeU

@Albert_S wrote:

OK, great. Makes sense.

Take care.

You too.  🙂