Logged in vs not logged in tests at testmy.net

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
val_t
Senior

Logged in vs not logged in tests at testmy.net

Can someone explain why my tests are WAY different if I am not logged in at testmy.net when I do a test?

Val

not logged innot logged inlogged inlogged in

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You may want to contact Testmy.net about this, or post in their forums (https://testmy.net/ipb/). HN is not affiliated with them. 

View solution in original post

GabeU

@val_t 

There shouldn't be any.  It's likely coincidence.  

Make sure that, if you're comparing the two, you use the same manual test size, not an automatic test.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Couldn't really explain the difference, aside from the fact that the lower result used the automated test size instead of a manual selection.  You tested at 963Kbps with a download size of 83.9MB on the slower one.  However, on the 30Mbps it appears you selected 25MB Manual...

https://testmy.net/compID/13028945802972

@C0RR0SIVE  Yeah I didn't pick just hit the button.

Don't get why size would make a difference.  Speed should be the same no matter what I would think.

I might do that.  As far as not being affiliated with them ....... you (meaning mods) have said in the past that Testmy.net is "Optimized for Satellite" internet and only to use them.  I really don't get that "optimized" part other than tweaked to work better for satellite and that can be taken in a couple of ways.  Just sayin

8 REPLIES 8
maratsade

You may want to contact Testmy.net about this, or post in their forums (https://testmy.net/ipb/). HN is not affiliated with them. 

I might do that.  As far as not being affiliated with them ....... you (meaning mods) have said in the past that Testmy.net is "Optimized for Satellite" internet and only to use them.  I really don't get that "optimized" part other than tweaked to work better for satellite and that can be taken in a couple of ways.  Just sayin

GabeU

@val_t wrote:

As far as not being affiliated with them ....... you (meaning mods) have said in the past that Testmy.net is "Optimized for Satellite" internet and only to use them.   

First, TMN takes the latency into account, both by the way it tests and they way it calculates the results.  Though this has more of an effect on the results of the older, slower services from HughesNet, it still can affect the end result.

Secondly, it's the only mainstream test that allows test sizes to be chosen, which is important for getting an overall average rather than relying on short speed spikes for a result.  Many other tests will give either the result of the highest spike, or the speed the system is seeing at the very end of the test, or even an average, but one in which the test may not have run for long enough.  TMN always does, as the requested test size for the given service is always chosen, or at least need to be for the test results to be accepted as accurate.  Consistency in testing is what TMN provides.    

So, "optimized" really means both the way TMN tests and calculates results (concerning the latency), and the way it which it allows the testing to be done (chosen, constant test file size in order to get an average).  

Lastly, TMN also gives more information concerning the results than most other tests, and that information can be helpful when troubleshooting a speed issue.

maratsade

It may be the best choice for measuring the speed of satellite internet, and as such it is recomended and preferred by HN -- but the two companies are distinct. 

val_t wrote:

GabeU

@val_t 

There shouldn't be any.  It's likely coincidence.  

Make sure that, if you're comparing the two, you use the same manual test size, not an automatic test.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Couldn't really explain the difference, aside from the fact that the lower result used the automated test size instead of a manual selection.  You tested at 963Kbps with a download size of 83.9MB on the slower one.  However, on the 30Mbps it appears you selected 25MB Manual...

https://testmy.net/compID/13028945802972

@C0RR0SIVE  Yeah I didn't pick just hit the button.

Don't get why size would make a difference.  Speed should be the same no matter what I would think.