two sites can't be accessed by satellite

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klimshelf
Freshman

two sites can't be accessed by satellite

Been going along for years accessing all websites from my desktop through router and Hughes modem until recently when I was unable to load these two sites: 

https://www.levitantuninglevers.com/

https://ottesonbrothersturquoise.com/

They work fine for other people i've talked to and I can view them through my cell phone (not wi-fii). Any ideas as to why these two won't load through Hughes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarkJFine
Professor

Sometimes the modem's cached DNS gets corrupted. What this does is prevents it from converting the http address to a numerical IP address... basically how the internet works.

Best way to fix it is to just reboot the modem by going here and clicking on the Reboot at the top. After it comes back to life in about 5 minutes or so you should be ok.

If you still can't get to those pages it means the corrupted DNS entry had propagated to one of your devices, so try the following:
1. Turn off all devices connected to the modem either by LAN cable or via wifi.

2. Power down the modem by unplugging its power plug from the wall.

3. Wait a minute, then plug the modem's power cord back into the wall.

4. Wait another 5 minutes or so and turn on your devices, one by one.

What makes the DNS problem a pesky one is that different devices will propagate the bad information, which could be 'hiding' somewhere. This process ensures the modem gets a clean DNS that the devices will also reset from.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MarkJFine
Professor

Sometimes the modem's cached DNS gets corrupted. What this does is prevents it from converting the http address to a numerical IP address... basically how the internet works.

Best way to fix it is to just reboot the modem by going here and clicking on the Reboot at the top. After it comes back to life in about 5 minutes or so you should be ok.

If you still can't get to those pages it means the corrupted DNS entry had propagated to one of your devices, so try the following:
1. Turn off all devices connected to the modem either by LAN cable or via wifi.

2. Power down the modem by unplugging its power plug from the wall.

3. Wait a minute, then plug the modem's power cord back into the wall.

4. Wait another 5 minutes or so and turn on your devices, one by one.

What makes the DNS problem a pesky one is that different devices will propagate the bad information, which could be 'hiding' somewhere. This process ensures the modem gets a clean DNS that the devices will also reset from.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Rebooting modem enabled the tuner site to load but not the other one. Thanks for the help.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@klimshelf wrote:

Rebooting modem enabled the tuner site to load but not the other one. Thanks for the help.

It's the same for me (not being able to load the second site).  

With this said, while using HideMe, and the proxy in the Netherlands, I can get on the site.  You should be able to at least get on the site doing the same, though I don't if anything will be limited in what you can do on the site while using a proxy like this.

Edit:  I left the "More options" drop down on the defaults when I tried it.

Just throwing this out there:

Not gonna lie, I do some pretty draconian user-agent and IP blocking on the sites I administer... including the use of proxy use: China uses a network of proxies to hide behind to probe for site vulnerabilities, then uses the proxies to probe for even more proxies. And a good lot of them hide behind Amazon, Google, GoDaddy, OVH, Proxad and other cloud services.

The possibility also exists that any site could possibly misconstrue a person attempting to use their site that has malware as a threat. They can easily block the IP, an entire block of IPs (CIDR), or even the network (ASN) it blongs to from accessing it ever again. Some even subscribe to services that check the malcious history of an IP first before blocking.

There's also 'invisible' reCaptcha checking by Google that sometimes cause people to get blocked. I use that as well, and sometimes get trapped by it when on HN. Not often enough for it to be much of a problem though.

Bottom line: There are lots of reasons why connections to sites are disrupted than just a corrupted DNS entry. My DNS process just attempts to eliminate that as one possibility, and it's something any user can do.

Spoiler
  I can't get to them either.  Trying Marks DNS procedure didn't make any difference for me.  I've seen this happen before, where you can't reach certain sites from Hughes.  I've always assumed it was a problem upstream from the gateway. .  In my case, it's always fixed itself after a few days.

@gaines_wright wrote:
I can't get to them either.  Trying Marks DNS procedure didn't make any difference for me.  I've seen this happen before, where you can't reach certain sites from Hughes.  I've always assumed it was a problem upstream from the gateway. .  In my case, it's always fixed itself after a few days.

This happens too, but not as often.

Danny89
Junior

I can get the tuning lever site to load, but the turqoise site gives me a "site cannot be reached" error with the described error being "err_connection_reset" so it may not be on HughesNet's end

Try using a different browser. I use Chrome, and possibly the turqioise site is completely down or having some difficulties! If those dont work, try resetting cookies