Lower quality connection (HT1100)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hecubus
Freshman

Lower quality connection (HT1100)

For about 6 months video streams slower or buffers and web pages are slow. It's roughly half speed compared to normal. I've tried everything so some maintenance on HughesNet's end is required. Thanks in advance. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Hi Hecubus,

In order for the reps to be able to help with speed issues they will need some speed tests to be performed.  Though they can see certain things from their end, they can't see everything you can, and the test results will not only give them an idea of your speeds, but also what could be causing the issue.  The protocol for the speed tests are as follows...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the manual 12MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx  

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

View solution in original post

Well I think they did use "the little man" ie wizard to get me to relay numbers. I wonder if it's cultural or if they weren't supposed to call it a wizard. I'll call it solved since weather is an issue now and I'm too busy with work. I meant no disrespect to online reps. I've just never had a complicated issue to fix. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU

Hi Hecubus,

In order for the reps to be able to help with speed issues they will need some speed tests to be performed.  Though they can see certain things from their end, they can't see everything you can, and the test results will not only give them an idea of your speeds, but also what could be causing the issue.  The protocol for the speed tests are as follows...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the manual 12MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx  

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Wow, I'm guessing calling is similar. Old HughesNet was far simpler..I don't have a good PC to test. Considering the day calling will be better. Getting a new phone line is costly but DSL is way less trouble. If calling doesn't help anyway. 

GabeU

Well, you're certainly free to call if you like.   Their number is 866-347-3292.  BTW, "old HughesNet" required speed testing for speed issues, as well.  

They may still run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment to see if anything is amiss.  Make sure to leave your HughesNet modem plugged in so that they can do so (which may not be until Monday).  

As intimated in the previous post, the reps aren't normally on during the weekends, so it's likely you will not hear anything from them until at least Monday.  

They mentioned speedtests but they never actually needed them. 

GabeU

@Hecubus wrote:

They mentioned speedtests but they never actually needed them. 

The only time speed tests were not required was when phone reps could quickly/easily see a specific problem with HughesNet equipment or the system.  The vast majority of the time this was not the case, and speed tests were required, as were "responsiveness" tests, for a time.  

As stated, you're free to call them, or you can wait until Monday to see if they can see anything amiss with the equipment or system.  If not, they'll require speed tests.  

Well I think they did use "the little man" ie wizard to get me to relay numbers. I wonder if it's cultural or if they weren't supposed to call it a wizard. I'll call it solved since weather is an issue now and I'm too busy with work. I meant no disrespect to online reps. I've just never had a complicated issue to fix. 

GabeU

@Hecubus

Phone reps would often have customers click on the "Little Man" icon so that they could get some needed info to help troubleshoot an issue.  I think the reason they did this is that they didn't have the ability to remotely access your equipment like they do today, so they had to have the customer relay the info in question.  I had a speed issue back in the mid/late 2000s and had to click that little guy more times than I care to remember.  😛 

Even though you want to hold off for now due to weather and being busy, which people will certainly understand, it's possible that the reps may still run those remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment, and if they see something amiss they'll probably contact you.  If they don't find anything and/or don't contact you, please do feel free to return so people here can help.  If it makes any difference, the speed testing can be automated.  It requires setting a few parameters, but I or others can show you how to do that.  It's fairly easy.  That way, you can start the tests and they run on their own, with whatever test size(s), however often, and how many times you choose.  

And I'm sure that the online reps won't feel disrespected by anything you've said.  You've been very polite and courteous.  🙂

Lastly, I hope that I didn't make you feel disrespected.  Sometimes I come across as a little blunt.  Once in a while a post may deserve a blunt reply, but yours certainly didn't, and I apologize if I made you feel that way.  

I was mostly overwhelmed with how informative you were.

Since I've never dealt with any problems on this model I felt underprepared. Also my laptop barely functions, so I need to work on it to make it stable for tests. Where I live my family's 2 houses are in a zone at which DSL only became available last year. Everyone else has DSL or cable near me, and have for about 10 years. I think one issue with the dish is that I'm situated at the bottom of a big hill and cars seem to interfere a bit sometimes. but chimneys are better anchor points. Also it only seems to be certain cars. I just have a kindle fire with some files to make it function with Google play and a ps4. If I can get a password from a friend I can try a different lappy on a monitor, it works but screen is smashed. 

GabeU

@Hecubus

What I'll do is tag a couple of reps so that they will see this and give an idea of what may be able to be done.  Being that you don't own an Ethernet cable connectible device they may have other ideas of what may be able to be done.  I can't speak for them, but they may.  And, to be honest, as time goes on, the incidence of people owning an Ethernet cable connectible device will be dropping, so they will most likely have to devise a new process of speed testing in those situations.  

Almost six years ago I got an Acer notebook computer, and when I took it out of the box I noticed that it had no Ethernet port.  I didn't know what I was going to do, as I had no router, so no WiFi, with which to be able to connect it.  I ended up buying a USB Ethernet adapter so I could connect, then a router shortly afterward, but it was a bit of a surprise.  I didn't research the computer much as it was a refurbished freebie that I received due to a large suit against a computer manufacturer (eMachines) who I bought a desktop from in the late 1990's, so I had no idea I wouldn't be able to connect it to the internet when I got it.  But, again, this is the way things are going, and soon enough few people will own computers that they can connect using an Ethernet cable.  

Again, I'll tag a couple of reps.  They may not be looking at this thread due to it having solutions chosen, so the tag will help to get their attention.  And with me tagging the reps that doesn't mean that you need to do anything quickly.  It just gets their attention.  When you have time to do something is fine.  No pressure.  🙂  

@Brooke

@Jay

@Amanda

@Liz

Much better. I know it's indirect but connection to PSN went from 900s kbs to 20-25 Mbps which is normal download generally. Thanks for the help everyone.

GabeU

@Hecubus

I'm glad it's better.    I'd still keep an eye on it, though.  For the speed to kick up late at night isn't all that unusual, though I know that it may be for you due to the speed issues you've been having.    

I hope it keeps up.  🙂