Manage devices and data.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fulmar
New Poster

Manage devices and data.

New to HN and the whole business of managing data. On the 20 G plan. The first month was just right with a bit of unused data before the cycle. This month I've used all my plan data in 9 days. I've been learning all I can about what stuff uses most and about turning off my HN when not in use. Now I've come to a new category of my dish network Walley, which doesn't support wifi without an adapter ( mine adapter is broken ) and the use of a separate wifi connection altogether. 

My question is this, concerning having another wifi to connect some devices, is that a good idea? I live in an rv park that provides wifi for the park and I upgraded to a direct line of that. It is often unstable but works well when it works. Has it's own modem. 

Also about my Walley if it doesn't support wifi can it be connected to my HN? I noticed in settings it shows 'connected' to network but I'm not sure how.

If anyone can teach me something and give me insight I'd appreciate it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@fulmar 

During your first twenty days of service your monthly data allotment is continually refilled by HughesNet.  They do this as a courtesy, in case you need to update or upgrade your devices to current, so that it doesn't affect your normal monthly allotment.  After those initial twenty days the data usage starts being deducted from the monthly allotment in the normal fashion.  This is very likely why your data lasted the entire month last month, while this month you're running out.  

Regarding the Wally, I'm not familiar with one, but if it has an ethernet port you can connect it to the HughesNet HT2000W modem using an ethernet cable.  This way there is no need to connect it via WiFi.  If an ethernet cable isn't a feasible method due to distance or the cable just being in the way and/or unsightly, you'll have to get the WiFi adapter for the Wally and connect it via WiFi instead.   

You can certainly use the other WiFi source you have that available to you.  In fact, if that other source is unlimited, and it works well enough, you may even want to consider using that source for your data heavy activities, such as streaming, as streaming can use a lot of data.  In fact, if you do a lot of streaming with the Wally you may want to reconsider getting that WiFi adapter so that you can use the alternate WiFi source for the Wally instead of HughesNet.  I say this because, as mentioned, streaming is a data heavy activity, and it won't take long to burn through 20GB doing so.  

With this said, two WiFi sources can interfere with each other.  If this happens there are likely certain adjustments that can be made to help mitigate the negative effects.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@fulmar 

During your first twenty days of service your monthly data allotment is continually refilled by HughesNet.  They do this as a courtesy, in case you need to update or upgrade your devices to current, so that it doesn't affect your normal monthly allotment.  After those initial twenty days the data usage starts being deducted from the monthly allotment in the normal fashion.  This is very likely why your data lasted the entire month last month, while this month you're running out.  

Regarding the Wally, I'm not familiar with one, but if it has an ethernet port you can connect it to the HughesNet HT2000W modem using an ethernet cable.  This way there is no need to connect it via WiFi.  If an ethernet cable isn't a feasible method due to distance or the cable just being in the way and/or unsightly, you'll have to get the WiFi adapter for the Wally and connect it via WiFi instead.   

You can certainly use the other WiFi source you have that available to you.  In fact, if that other source is unlimited, and it works well enough, you may even want to consider using that source for your data heavy activities, such as streaming, as streaming can use a lot of data.  In fact, if you do a lot of streaming with the Wally you may want to reconsider getting that WiFi adapter so that you can use the alternate WiFi source for the Wally instead of HughesNet.  I say this because, as mentioned, streaming is a data heavy activity, and it won't take long to burn through 20GB doing so.  

With this said, two WiFi sources can interfere with each other.  If this happens there are likely certain adjustments that can be made to help mitigate the negative effects.

Liz

Good morning fulmar,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I hope Gabe's advice was useful for you. Here are additional tips on managing your data.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!