Hughesnet Community

Modem Not Responding to Reset

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JasonHoup

Modem Not Responding to Reset

Our modem isn't responding to a reset and only has 2 lights, the power light and the wi-fi light which blinks intermittently.  We have spent over an hour on the phone with tech support with no success.  None of our laptops have a network port to be able to connect directly to the modem and we're unable to access the modem via 192.168.0.1 as instructed.   Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. Let me send you another modem. You can send yours back in the same box as the replacement's; there's a return label in the outer pouch. The modem should arrive in a few days, let me know how it works out for you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Don't know if your problem have seen here that if you hold the reset button on the HT2000W too long it will clear all the needed parameters and will no longer work. Hope that is not the case for you.

By "reset", do you mean holding in the reset button?

JustTheTruth
Spectator

Really, no ethernet port.  Even my little netbook I use for DSC alarm installations has an ethernet port.

Well, call and wait on an HughesNet service tech (might be waiting a while) and most of those guys only carry a smartphone which means if you disable the modem's WIFI or its broken then they become pretty much useless unless they just replace it like most do.  By default, the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz are on so I'm guessing a WIFI issue.

I had my service tech locked out today (lnb/transmitter crapped out in less than 45 days) and I had to set his smartphone up for him to access my non-HughesNet WIFI network so he could finish the install.

My advice, run to Wal-Mart and get a USB to Ethernet adapter so you can physically get into the modem's interface via ethernet.  The adapter is only $9.99 Man Very Happy

If you can connect via ethernet and everything works as it should then its just a WIFI issue ... and they either need to replace the modem or you can buy a nice TP-Link Wireless Access Point and use it instead (that's what I use and it works great ... I don't trust HughesNet equipment ... made in China and in less the 45 days I've already had equipment failure and WIFI is always to first to go, at least that been my experience with DSL modems in the past)!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JustTheTruth wrote:

By default, the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz are on so I'm guessing a WIFI issue.

"only has 2 lights, the power light and the wi-fi light which blinks intermittently."

That's not a WiFi issue.  Whatever is going on may be causing them not to be able to connect via WiFi, and a USB ethernet adapter may help in determining what it is, but something else is going on with this modem (or other equipment).  The reps will most likely be able to see what the issue is if/when they run remote diagnostics.    

If the System light is off then no connection with NOC and it doesn't matter if WIFI works or not Smiley Very Happy

I had a similar issue not more than a few hours ago ... lnb/transmitter crapped out (easy to troubleshoot and fix) [Power light], [LAN light], and no [System], [Receive], or [Transmit] (no WIFI because disabled).

Accessed modem via WIFI and Ethernet and saw that signal would periodically spike and crap out to low level signal (replaced lnb/transmitter and works like a champ) so if the WIFI isn't working then that points to a modem issue more than likely.

Of course, unless you standing right there to troubleshoot system then your sort of arm-chair quarterbacking the problem.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JustTheTruth wrote:

If the System light is off then no connection with NOC and it doesn't matter if WIFI works or not Smiley Very Happy

Exactly, as my reply indicated.  And, as stated, the issue is not the WiFi.  Not being able to connect via WiFi is, almost assuredly, a result of what's going on, not a cause.  In addtion, being able to connect via LAN cable isn't going to change that.  Sure, the person may be able to see some state codes and other info, but that isn't going to do them any good.  The only thing that may work is a power cycle, and if it doesn't bring the modem back to a working state, the reps will need to get involved, regardless of what the OP can see while connected via LAN cable.  

Liz

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. Let me send you another modem. You can send yours back in the same box as the replacement's; there's a return label in the outer pouch. The modem should arrive in a few days, let me know how it works out for you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!