Hughesnet Community

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Hi, new Gen 5 owner in Northern Calfornia, near Sacramento up in the foothills.  Service installed yesterday.  Slow very slow speeds.  Called tech support at Hughes today and they said they will escalate the call to engineering which means another 2 to 3 business days before I get help.

Kind of stinks since it was just installed yesterday.

Anyway, last speed test I ran was 1.1Mbps down.  Sheesh.  

Went through over an hour call with Hughes today running tests and such just to prove I am getting slow speeds.  Then told have to wait until next week to get it looked at.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=09292017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

In case this can help....  I am pointed at:

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD

Gateway ID8

Beam ID55

Outroute ID7

Thanks for the ear.

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My repoint to ES17 is done.  Promising for sure.

As speeds can always go up and down on a whim, I will ride this for a week ro two before I say it is fixed for sure but apepars we should be good to go.

Before the installer came over I had a about 1Mbps down.... and after, they are 24 and 17Mbps so far.

What appears to have suffered in the switch back to ES17 is uploads so far.  I was getting better 2Mbps before the installer came over and now getting between 800K and 1Mbps.  I can live with that.  😉  

So... so far so good.  Thanks Hughes for getting things back on track.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298
ww5
New Poster

Here is a typical test result for a 25MB random data download (the size recommended by HughesNet):

This is terrible, especially when you consider that HuhgesNet has a massive advertising campaign, advertising 25 Mbps download speeds!  It is like advertising the sale of a car as being capable of accelerating from 0-60 mph in 3 seconds, but only finding out later that the car can really only accelerate from 0-60 mph in 600 seconds!  At least one can test drive a car before buying it.  In the case of HughesNet, one has to purchase the service first, in other words, before even knowing that in actuality the 25 Mbps download speed is not really possible.  Then, to add insult to injury, HughesNet charges a $1,000 early termination fee when customers are unsatisfied and cancel the service for it not living up to the expectations promoted in the HughesNet advertisements. Unbelievable! 

ww5
New Poster

For those of you who are wondering how long it took to download the 25 MB of random data in my last post (@133 kbps), this is how long: (25MB x 8 bits/byte)/(0.133Mbps x 60 sec/min) = 25 minutes!  Yes, 25 long, agonizing minutes to download just a measly 25 MB of data.  HughesNet, please fix this problem for us in Northern Calif, who are on beam 55 and using the Gilroy IP gateway.  Thanks!

ww5
New Poster

Sorry, I meant Gilbert (not Gilroy) AZ gateway in my last post. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ww5

If your ETF is around $1000, that means that are a business account customer, as residential accounts don't have an ETF that is nearly $1000.  

Because this Community is mainly for residential customers, you should call 800-347-3272 for business account assistance if, in fact, you are a business customer.  

Liz

Hi macsociety,

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!