New device suggestion

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drewman
Freshman

New device suggestion

Last year, I bought a new computer and as it synced with my "cloud" accounts, it churned through my HughesNet monthly data in less than 24 hours. Earlier this week, the wife & I bought new phones. Same thing. They blew through our monthly data in less than a day while they synced and downloaded apps. I think it would be a great idea to be able to log into my HughesNet account once a year or maybe once every 6 months for top tier customers and check a box that says I just bought a new device and the next 24 hours of data being transferred doesn't count against my monthly usage. Buying a new device should be fun and enjoyable. I shouldn't feel like I get punished by my ISP each time I do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yea, I try to do these things during Bonus time. It does mean getting up at vampire time but I get up in the middle of the night for dumber things.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

That's not a punishment from the company, it's lack of data management on your part.

The amount of data available from the satellite is limited and must be shared amongst all the subscribers, so we all get a limited amount. Subscribers need to learn how to manage and budget the amount of data they have available,  the same way bank account holders need to learn to manage and budget their money and not expect that "fun" expenses aren't counted against their account balance.

"I think it would be a great idea to be able to log into my HughesNet account once a year or maybe once every 6 months for top tier customers and check a box that says I just bought a new device and the next 24 hours of data being transferred doesn't count against my monthly usage."

Interesting concept, but I suspect that it would probably be a nightmare to implement such a system.  I personally, do any updates or downloads during the bonus period.   I also try to have as few devices on my system as possible.  All of this allows me to remain a 10 gig wonder

I haven't experienced it myself, but I've seen people here say that their service actually slows down right after Christmas, due to all the new devices being added. 

If you haven't done so already, you might want to look at this link:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

Yea, I try to do these things during Bonus time. It does mean getting up at vampire time but I get up in the middle of the night for dumber things.

@BirdDog wrote:

With me, its our dog, who always seems to need to go out between 3 & 4 AM every morning.  Well,  if I'm already up, I might as well get on the computer. 

I thought about getting a doggie door, but my GF doesn't like that idea.

@gaines_wright wrote:

@BirdDog wrote:

With me, its our dog, who always seems to need to go out between 3 & 4 AM every morning.  Well,  if I'm already up, I might as well get on the computer. 

I thought about getting a doggie door, but my GF doesn't like that idea.

Thank goodness we have a doggie door. Three dogs and the oldest one, my avatar pic, goes out to pee 3-4 times at night. He's as bad as me, I don't go outdoors though.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Drewman 

Like others have mentioned, the Bonus Zone is a great way to take advantage of large block of data (by comparison), and, at least with some things, you may be able to schedule the downloads/uploads/syncing.  Also, keep in mind that, though what you are able to do, or do easily, can be greatly affected when you go into FAP, you're still able to use the service without any extra cost or penalty, and that never stops.  

And, though having individuals using the system on an unlimited fashion for one day probably wouldn't tax the system to any noticeable extent, even if there were a few dozen people doing this on any given day, they'd have to allow everyone to do this, as allowing only "top tier" customers to do this might suggest, at least to some, that their business isn't as important to HughesNet as others.

Satellite internet definitely takes some getting used to, and that can be harder as devices are added and they become more data hungry.  And, of course, the Cloud... the bane of limited services.  😛