New to Gen 5 see no difference from Gen 4

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Terry HInes2
Sophomore

New to Gen 5 see no difference from Gen 4

Speeds are not even close to what I was told they would be.

See https://testmy.net/quickstats/ab8al

I was told this would be the expected speed after FPA throttling.   I am supposed to be at full speed now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Did some testing starting a 5:30Am here and speeds look good but the charts where terrible.  This last one was at 8am do see what it looked like when I went from bonus to regular time.  IF I had this dat flow on a regular basis even if the speed dropped during peak I would be very happy. 

Unfortuanely this is the exception NOT the rule.  The rates during a single run of the test are usually all over the map, typically over 80% variance.  As a process engineer I would say the system is NOT under control.  Not sure whre the data is controlled but would expect it to be at the main office not local.  So I suspect the tech will not be able to do much except maybe point me to a better Sat. 

Can one of the techs on here explain how the data is supposed to be controlled?  I really don't care to see bursts over 100MB when it next drops to 5MB even if it gives me a 30MB average.  This seems like it would be jacking everybodys data rates around.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
MarkJFine
Professor

Are you using the internal 2G Wifi or an external wireless router? If so, it could be limiting your speed.

Try using the internal 5G Wifi or an ethernet cable directly to the modem and see if things don't pick up significantly.

You can also check your LAN speed by going to http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/lan_speed which should indicate better than ~250Mbps if it's not being bogged down by something.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I remembered about the wifi thing after I posted.  I ran another test wit direct cable from modem to computer.  Improved but the max didn't make it to 18MB and the Average while better is still less then half the 25MB target.

I do understand the AVG is still carrying the 5MB.  Watching the runs connected to the cable I was still below 15MB on all but 1 run.

Hi Terry HInes2,

Thanks for posting, we can certainly help address your concerns. I pulled up your account to investigate, and after running your site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #113205367 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Speed Testt.PNG

This really looks like what I would expect to see once I exceded my data allowence.  This graph pattern has been consistent the past several tests with Hughes being able to say yup your above 1MB but still making sure to be vary painfull for someone to stream by fources it tio well below 1MB at fairly consitent intervals.  Problem is I still have over 8GB left on my usage meter,

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Terry HInes2

Hopefully the tech will be able to resolve your issue at tomorrow's visit.  

On a side note, you should consider installing an ad blocker to save some data.  The data used by ads on web pages can really add up, no pun intended.  uBlock Origin seems to be a popular one these days.  

Thanks for the info on add blockers.  Yahoo is killing me with the video popups that load automatically. Supposedly there is some place in IE.  I can turn that off but no luck finding it yet. 

GabeU

@Terry HInes2 wrote:

Thanks for the info on add blockers.  Yahoo is killing me with the video popups that load automatically. Supposedly there is some place in IE.  I can turn that off but no luck finding it yet. 

There should be a popup blocker under Tools at the top, but I don't know if it works very well with those types of popups, or if it works anymore, I should say.  If they are ads, though, the ad blocker should stop them.   Though I'm using Chrome, I just went to Yahoo.com and had no popups. 

Something else I should have mentioned, but didn't notice, is that you should also consider migrating to a different web browser.   Though it's still maintained, IE has been discontinued.   Over time you may find that it's becoming less and less compatible with web pages.  This may also be why the popup blocker isn't stopping the video popups.   Microsoft Edge is the successor to IE, and though I don't use it due to not caring for it, it's supposed to be getting better.   

Chrome and Firefox work well.  Again, IE is still being maintained, so I don't believe there are any security risks, so migrating to something else right now isn't necessary, but just keep it in mind.  🙂 

SPEED TEST 6_19_8AM.PNG

Did some testing starting a 5:30Am here and speeds look good but the charts where terrible.  This last one was at 8am do see what it looked like when I went from bonus to regular time.  IF I had this dat flow on a regular basis even if the speed dropped during peak I would be very happy. 

Unfortuanely this is the exception NOT the rule.  The rates during a single run of the test are usually all over the map, typically over 80% variance.  As a process engineer I would say the system is NOT under control.  Not sure whre the data is controlled but would expect it to be at the main office not local.  So I suspect the tech will not be able to do much except maybe point me to a better Sat. 

Can one of the techs on here explain how the data is supposed to be controlled?  I really don't care to see bursts over 100MB when it next drops to 5MB even if it gives me a 30MB average.  This seems like it would be jacking everybodys data rates around.

maratsade

They are dispatching a tech to your site - maybe you should wait for the tech's visit and analysis.

There are lots of variables to speed, including:

1. How many people are using that gateway (and for what) at any particular time. If you have a lot of people doing high-resource-demand things (e.g., streaming) on that gateway, you're going to see a lot of peaks and valleys as the instantaneous demand changes.

2. Where the connection goes to. Not all upstream providers have the same kinds of connections to all places, and there could be problems with any of the servers along that path. For example, I can pull down a podcast file from one site with excellent speed, and have erratic download speeds from somewhere else.

Best way to tell is using a traceroute to any IP to see if there are hiccups on that path. For example, the upstream provider for GWID 068 is Level3. Their connection to Microsoft is awful at the moment, causing slow and/or erratic speeds that are all over the place. Just so happens that the problem exists at Level3's gateway to Microsoft in LA, two 'hops' past HughesNet's purview, and therefore not HughesNet's fault.

Same could be said about the server being chosen in TestMy. You should be choosing a server that is closest to your HughesNet gateway, with the fewest hops possible. That should provide the lowest risk of having an connection issue, thus skewing the results.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Tech was out today and I am very pleased witht he test results.  My concern now is the signal strength used to be 111 but now is only 85.  I hope I don't lose the internet everythime it rains.  Gen 4 was well abobe 100 as well and I never lost internet even with the big tunderheads.  Dish TV on the other hand was in and out everytime it rained.  I will keep you posted but marking this issue closed for now.  If anyone has comments regarding the reliablity during storms when starting out at 85 I would like to hear.

Thanks all.

Thanks for the update Terry, glad to hear your speeds are back up! Feel free to post back in the community if you have other concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

It sounds like they did a repoint to another beam, thus a lower signal, but higher performance in terms of speed.  Rain impact will be more notable, below about 50 or 60 you will start seeing more severe packet loss, ~32 is the cut-off for connectivity.  With that said, I have sat at 80 before on a terminal and it was OK, provided it didn't rain much.

No, just replaced a bad transmitter. 🙂 Still on E19.