Remotely reset modum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Imbert
Sophomore

Remotely reset modum

I rwad a thread on how a HN tech support staff was able to remotely reset a customer's modum at their vacation home. I'm hoping a tech person can do the same for me. We have a similar issue. Our security cameras went offline last night. In the thread I read Amanda from HN was able to fix the issue from her end. Can anyone help out please?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Imbert

Honestly, I don't know..I know that when a community member or moderator is tagged, that person receives a notification (via email and/or the community) so I'm sure that either @Liz or @Amanda upon receiving such notification will stop by and assist you...but I would give it at least till the end of the day, if not tomorrow.

By tagging the mods, I'm merely indicating to them that your issue will probably need their intervention and help more so than anything we, as customers, can help with.

View solution in original post

Good morning Imbert,

Thanks for the clarification. What I'll do is set up the dispatch, but not schedule an appointment. Your assigned dealer will instead reach out to you to work out a time frame for the site visit.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
bare65
Advanced Tutor

I'll tag @Amanda and @Liz for you so that your question can be brought to their attention as these are the only two corporate level Hughesnet employees moderating the community boards currently and would be the only people who, if deemed neccesary, could do this for you.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I saw Amanda was bale to do it for another customer and it worked perfectly for them. I'm hoping someone there can do the same for us.

Do you know about how long it will be before I hear from either of them?

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Imbert

Honestly, I don't know..I know that when a community member or moderator is tagged, that person receives a notification (via email and/or the community) so I'm sure that either @Liz or @Amanda upon receiving such notification will stop by and assist you...but I would give it at least till the end of the day, if not tomorrow.

By tagging the mods, I'm merely indicating to them that your issue will probably need their intervention and help more so than anything we, as customers, can help with.

Oh wow, that's long. I tried using the chat support and they told me to call the support line. I did that and they said they could't help me. Thnaks for trying.

Well, while we're at it maybe we can address this issue in the meantime. Is it normal for my system to buffer a lot when I'm watching a show. I was trying to watch Sopranos from my Amazon Prime account and it buffered a dozen times easily. It constantly buffers when I try to watch Amazon Prime. If this a quality issue? Do I not have enogh speed? I know the installer had an issue finding a strong enough signal when he came to set up my system. What can we do to fix these ongoing issues?

bare65
Advanced Tutor

Buffering would indicate a speed issue..again, I'm just a customer, but there are several things you can do and will need to do in order to correct any issues you are experiencing due to slow speeds..

Firstly, have you 'tested' your download/upload speeds?

If not, you will most definitely need to perform some speed tests to determine if speed is a direct cause of your buffering issues.

(I'm copying and pasting the information below on how to do this from another customers conversation so I don't have to type it all out, lol)

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY  

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

After you have run the speeds tests and gathered up the result, come back and post those results here.

I know it sounds like a lot, but believe me, we all have to do this at some point.

Also, while your at it, you may wish to go into your System Control Center (simply type 192.168.0.1 into your browser to pull up this info) and make sure everything is green. (System Status, System Information)

If not, take a screen shot, or jot down any error codes that are showing...then come back and post the results from that too.

Hi Imbert,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I noticed your PM about the cameras coming back up, glad to hear that. Since you were asking about remotely resetting your modem, does that mean you're currently not at the site where your HughesNet system is located? I started to run diagnostics on your site and I see that your dish needs to be re-aligned, this will improve your performance. However, someone needs to be on site while the tech is there to make the repairs. Please let me know so we can work out getting a tech dispatched to the site.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks Liz, yes, I do not live there though I visit regularly and plan to move there. I will inform you when I am there for sure. I'll try to give you a heads up of a few days so we can book an appointment. Would the dish needing to be re-aligned explain why my Amazon Prime shows buffer so much?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Imbert wrote:

Thanks Liz, yes, I do not live there though I visit regularly and plan to move there. I will inform you when I am there for sure. I'll try to give you a heads up of a few days so we can book an appointment. Would the dish needing to be re-aligned explain why my Amazon Prime shows buffer so much?

An out of alignment dish can certainly contribute to speed/performance issues, but another possible cause could be the Video Data Saver.  

If the Amazon Prime videos are streaming in anything higher than 480p, the issue may be the Video Data Saver, which deliberately throttles the speed of the service to such that is amenable to 480p streaming, but may cause higher resolution streaming to buffer.  If this is the case, you can turn off, or temporarily pause for four hours, the Video Data Saver, and hopefully this will alleviate the buffering issue.  Keep in mind, though, that streaming in HD can use a LOT of data.  I'm not sure about Amazon Prime, but HD with Netflix uses around 3GB per hour.  

What is Video Data Saver? 

Good morning Imbert,

Thanks for the clarification. What I'll do is set up the dispatch, but not schedule an appointment. Your assigned dealer will instead reach out to you to work out a time frame for the site visit.

Once again thanks for the excellent customer service. Thinsg don't always work as we wished they would but excellent service helps a lot.

You're welcome. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

I received a text saying an appointment has been scheduled for 3/2/18 between 8am-11am but no one has called me and I won't be there.

Hi Imbert,

Thanks for this update, that sounds odd. Are you able to call or text back the number that sent you that text? If that number doesn't work, here's the number of the local dealer that was assigned to you:

PT Satellites Inc (888) 906 8102  

It may help to reference Field Service Order (FSO) 8459606.

I called and got it taken care of. Thanks.

Great!

Hi Liz, I really needed to follow up with you. The repair technician cancelled on me on the day we were supposed to meet. To refresh your memory, my dish is out of alignment. When he called he said he didn't have the equipment he needed for the job. He then asked me what the problem with the dish is. I wondered how it's possible to not know the problem yet know you don't have the equipment. Nevertheless, I agreed to meet him Saturday morning. I drove 2 hours only so he can tell me that he can't get a signal on the device he uses to fix my dish. He left and asked me to come back Sunday to meet yet another tech. I couldn't get there yet again but he said I didn't need to be there, he just needed the wifi password, which I gave to him. The tech never followed up with me today so I have no idea if my satellite is up. I do know that my security cameras aren't working and haven't been working since he left yesterday. I spent $30 in gas and an entire day was lost becuase of this company. Needless to say I'm frustrated. Is my satellite running properly? Is it aligned? Please help.

Good morning Imbert,

Thank you for the recap, I'm sorry to hear what happened, this is disconcerting. Let me escalate this to our installs department which oversees all the dealers. I ran diagnostics and we definitely still need your site properly looked at. I'll let you know once I have any other updates for you.

I requested a new company do the repair and they have complied. I also filed to have my account credited some since I've had to drive out there only to have him cancel or not have the equipment necessary to make the repair. As I said, each trip there is roughly $30 in gas and many hours out of my day. Thanks Liz.