Repeatedly losing network connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pentangle
Sophomore

Repeatedly losing network connection

I have been trying for days to download the Big Sur version of the Apple OS without success. After some time, (this morning I was able to get 10 Gigs of the 12G downloaded) I get an error message that the network connection was lost. This has happened regardless of time of day or night, ususlly I get much less downloaded.I have run through an enormous amount of data trying to get this update. I am fairly sure this is a HughesNet issue as other downloads from other sources go normally. I would appreciate some input or help here, also, if you would like to restore some data (I saw my "Bonus" date drop from 22% to 12% this morning) that would be appreciated and appropriate.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, I posted this issue on the Apple support community site, and got helpful answers in just a day. I was able to set up a wired connection, took about 12-14 hours, but the download finished. Nothing to do with Century Link.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Where are you getting the error? Is it on the Apple device? 

It's happening in the Mac Store application in macOS. I had something similar trying to update an iPad to 14.2 where it stuttered and stalled on just 714MB - took several hours. When it fininshed and started the 'prepare' phase, it said the download failed, then told me the update will now be 3.56GB instead of the original 714MB. #Fun

Pretty sure this is a combination of SSL errors, routing problems, as well as the usual gapping problems at the provider (CenturyLink) causing timeouts.

There have also been problems with the routes to Microsoft update servers. I finally was able to successfully update my Win10 VM to Oct 2020 today. There were real problems with sub-100kB links to update.microsoft.com. Again, pretty sure this is mostly caused by CL.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

@MarkJFine , this is why I asked where the OP is getting the error messages -- the network is actually working, but the pathways are clogged or slow, and Apple (and now Windows) interprets this as there being no network connection, when in fact there is one.

CL is doing a number on updates, it seems.  I have to go elsewhere for my Apple and Windows updates, as they no longer work reliably from home. 

Yup. It's a mess right now.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

@MarkJFine , have you seen an increase in errors by Century Link? 

@maratsade

Not today, specifically, but saw things going south Wednesday and thru Saturday. Yesterday and today seem fairly ok.

Edit: Thinking this through, it could have been the combination of Big Sur, iOS/iPadOS 14.2, and several apps (GarageBand, Xcode, iMovie, iWorks apps) all being released, as well as a new composite Win10 update, immediately followed by Oct 2020 being released - all at the same time on Wednesday.

maratsade

I haven't downloaded Big Sur; but had a lot of issues downloading the updates for Pages, Numbers, and other apps.  And the Windows update was a mess. 

I think that the gist of the matter is, it's not an issue with HughesNet's network.  Upsetting as it is to use so much data over issues outside the network, I think one should not expect free data for this, as it's not on HN's side.  Hopefully the OP will find alternative ways to download these apps. 

I can download Big Sur, but I wouldn't be able to install it. Last supported model is a late-2013 Pro and mine is an early-2013. The thing that ticks me off is GarageBand requires Big Sur (v11.0), keeps wanting to update my current version, and hiding it in the App Store does nothing. So I'm going to have an annoying red dot on my App Store in perpetuity.

maratsade

I think my Mac is a 2014 model; still not sure if I'm going to download Big Sur any time soon. I guess I'll have to delete Garage Band. 

maratsade

The problem you are experiencing is not a HughesNet issue but an Apple and Century Link issue. When Century Link backbone pathways are clogged (which seem to happen often), this increases network latency, and  some things (notably everything Apple, from downloads to iCloud) think there is no network connection, when in fact there is.  It is unfortunate that this is happening, but it's not really an issue with the ISP, and while it'd be cool to get data restored, it's not really appropriate in this case, as this is an issue outside of the ISP.  

Your best bet is to keep trying the downloads, preferably between 2 and 7 am. To save data, you may want to try the downloads once a week only. Alternatively, and if this is available to you, try the downloads somewhere where there's stable wifi, such as a college or university. 

pentangle wrote:

I have been trying for days to download the Big Sur version of the Apple OS without success. After some time, (this morning I was able to get 10 Gigs of the 12G downloaded) I get an error message that the network connection was lost. This has happened regardless of time of day or night, ususlly I get much less downloaded.I have run through an enormous amount of data trying to get this update. I am fairly sure this is a HughesNet issue as other downloads from other sources go normally. I would appreciate some input or help here, also, if you would like to restore some data (I saw my "Bonus" date drop from 22% to 12% this morning) that would be appreciated and appropriate.

I really don't know what Century Link has to do with my situation, Hughes is my ISP, I have no connection to Century Link that I am aware of. Here's the facts as I see them: Hughes is slow, just barely qualifing as broadband on a good day, but mostly just slow. Hughes is unreliable, speeds vary wildly depending on time of day, weather and load. Hughes pricing seems to me to be predatory, I am paying more for lower speeds with a ridiculous data cap than I ever have in my internet usage. I really don't understand why all you "Disttinguished Professors" insist on defending a clearly substandard service. I would really like to hear from someone at HughesNet instead of you all.

I understand Hughes is providing service to areas without wired capability, but really?

maratsade

Century Link provides internet service to ISPs. When Century Link has issues, so do ISPs.

HughesNet qualifies as broadband by federal definition of the term.

Your speed (edit: and network) issues may be a result of many factors, which is why troubleshooting is necessary. Without troubleshooting with the reps you remain stuck, and your only choices are to grin and bear a service you don't like, or to cancel the service and pay a fee if you're still under contract.

Service and performance are not guaranteed and depend on many factors. This information is freely available on the HughesNet site, both the main site and on the subscriber agreement available at the legal site.

That you focus on system given labels, Freshman, reveals a lot about you. 

We are not defending the company, we are giving you facts. 

You may want to work with the community before expecting a rep to cut in, as this is primarily a subscriber to subscriber site.

You can continue to resist troubleshooting and answering questions, as this is your choice, but this is a tech support site, and troubleshooting and answering questions is a necessary step to getting tech support.

pentangle wrote:

I really don't know what Century Link has to do with my situation, Hughes is my ISP, I have no connection to Century Link that I am aware of. Here's the facts as I see them: Hughes is slow, just barely qualifing as broadband on a good day, but mostly just slow. Hughes is unreliable, speeds vary wildly depending on time of day, weather and load. Hughes pricing seems to me to be predatory, I am paying more for lower speeds with a ridiculous data cap than I ever have in my internet usage. I really don't understand why all you "Disttinguished Professors" insist on defending a clearly substandard service. I would really like to hear from someone at HughesNet instead of you all.

I understand Hughes is providing service to areas without wired capability, but really?

Federal definition of broadband is 25 MBPS, Hughes average is under 20, so, not so much.

What troubleshooting? I have not seen any suggestions as to how this might be resolved.

Just because I haven't made a massive number of posts and am therefore a FRESHMAN, doesn't make me less qualified or my points invalid.

maratsade

Hughesnet delivers more than 25 down/3 up, and the Feds have labeled it broadband.

My system given label refers to number of posts, just as yours. Your use of it in your post is irrelevant to the facts.

You have been given reasons why you can't download Big Sur.  You can accept them or not, that's your choice.

pentangle wrote:

Federal definition of broadband is 25 MBPS, Hughes average is under 20, so, not so much.

What troubleshooting? I have not seen any suggestions as to how this might be resolved.

Just because I haven't made a massive number of posts and am therefore a FRESHMAN, doesn't make me less qualified or my points invalid.

So, I posted this issue on the Apple support community site, and got helpful answers in just a day. I was able to set up a wired connection, took about 12-14 hours, but the download finished. Nothing to do with Century Link.

maratsade

That's great news, pentangle!