Service degrading

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RonInMaine
Sophomore

Service degrading

Over the last few weeks, service has degraded. When it works, it has worked more poorly than before, sometimes taking several minutes to load a web page and sometimes not loading a page at all. During the last few days, the connection has began shutting off (with only a couple lights on the modem) for 20-30 minutes at a time.  Yesterday and today it has been off more than it has been on.  It's out again right now, as I write this.  The weather has been good -- sunny, except for a short shower this morning.

How do I tell if I have a dish alignment issue?  Or, If something else is going on?

Thanks!

Ron.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The service person just left. The dish was warped (may have been a result of the violent wind storm 2-3 weeks ago), and it was also aimed right through the electric wire feed coming to the house. He installed a new dish in another location, and satellite signal is now the highest we have seen in 3 years.  Service is fast and consistent now.

The service tech was very sharp, and communicated in a way I could understand.  A great experience ed. 

Thank you, Liz, for talking me through all of this.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The HN reps on this site can run remote diagnostics on your system to see if anything is amiss. Just hang in there until one of them gets back to you. 

@RonInMaine wrote:

How do I tell if I have a dish alignment issue?  Or, If something else is going on?

Liz

Good morning Ron,

Thanks for posting, I just ran diagnostics on your site and am not able to communicate with the modem. Please powercycle the modem (unplug from the power brick and wait 30 seconds before replugging). Let me know if this brings you back online and has any effect on performance.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you, Liz. I have now power cycled the modem. It booted up and came back online for 4-5 minutes, but is off again right now (only bottom 2 lights on).  It has been on and off like that for the last couple days.  It is offline at the moment, but if I give it a few minutes, it will be back online.

Hm, that's still odd. Let me send you a modem; you can use the box it comes in to return the old modem. It should arrive soon. Please let me know how the new modem works out for you.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thank you. I'll let you know how it works out.

Ron.

OK great, thanks, Ron! Looking forward to it.

-Liz

Hi Liz, The new modem arrived yesterday (that was fast!). I set it up last night. It took about an hour to activate and download updates, but after that it began doing just what the old modem was doing.  It stays online (with speed decent enough to stream Netflix or youtube) for 5-10 minutes,  then goes offline (only bottom 2 lights and power light stay on) for 5-10 minutes. It just does this over and over all day and night.

I can take some screenshots of the diagnostics page if you are still unable to access it remotely.

Thanks,

Ron.

Good morning RonInMaine,

Thanks for this update. Let me send a tech to review your site and see if they can address this intermittent connectivity. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to reschedule if needed. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Thanks,

Liz

The service person just left. The dish was warped (may have been a result of the violent wind storm 2-3 weeks ago), and it was also aimed right through the electric wire feed coming to the house. He installed a new dish in another location, and satellite signal is now the highest we have seen in 3 years.  Service is fast and consistent now.

The service tech was very sharp, and communicated in a way I could understand.  A great experience ed. 

Thank you, Liz, for talking me through all of this.

Hi Ron,

This is excellent news, I'm glad the tech was able to fully address your concerns! Happy to have helped; we're always here if you need us. Have a great rest of your week!

-Liz