Service is terrible

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Messinapaul123
New Poster

Service is terrible

Two weeks ago I got installation of satellite WiFi due to the fact that we have no cable or phone lines at our property. We are 50 yards from the ocean in So. Cal with a clear line of sight. The only streaming we can actually use is Netflix, no other apps ( Sling, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Peacok, Disney ) are even worth trying to view.  I spoke to techs and everything they checked on their end was showing " good connection " and I got some tips on improving my service but nothing has changed. Please tell me there is hope....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarkJFine
Professor

It's not a signal problem nor a connection problem. It's a latency problem. Some streaming servers are sensitive to the 500mS+ ping times (much higher during periods of network congestion) making that kind of activity difficult to use. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done because that lag time is typical for geostationary satellite communication due to distance from the earth and the rate at which radio signals travel.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MarkJFine
Professor

It's not a signal problem nor a connection problem. It's a latency problem. Some streaming servers are sensitive to the 500mS+ ping times (much higher during periods of network congestion) making that kind of activity difficult to use. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done because that lag time is typical for geostationary satellite communication due to distance from the earth and the rate at which radio signals travel.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Messinapaul123
New Poster

Thank you for your advise... makes sense even as frustrating as it is. Looks like gonna be grabbing a good book during peak hours. Lol

Happy Holidays!!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Some of us use PlayOn Cloud to record streaming movies and shows in the cloud (doesn't use data). Then we download the files (that uses data, but only once, to download the file), and then we can play the files as many times as we want, without buffering. The downloaded files become yours.   Recording credits are 25 cents each, though they run sales all the time. Currently they're running one where you can buy 450 credits at 11 cents each. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I second PlayOn Cloud.  

fasthack
New Poster

Right there with you,, latency is a killer for Hughes. One thing to try is under settings, click on the video data saver (see if it helps). I can't get Amazon Prime. I know how to cheer you up. Goto Fastzer.com, you ARE GONNA LUV IT!