Slow Netflix download after receiving and installing new hughesnet router

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobnelms
Freshman

Slow Netflix download after receiving and installing new hughesnet router

We download netflix videos during our bonus period.  In the past, I could download 4 to 6 videos from 5 am to 8 am.  Now, I can barely download 1, 45 minute video from 6:30 to 8:00 AM.

This problem started after I had complained of extremely low download speeds (less than 1 MBPS).  I called tech support and they sent a technician who replaced the hughesnet router.  Download speeds now average 10 MBPS, much better than the past, but not when I try downloading from NetFlix.

Any idea of what might be happening?

Thanks,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bobnelms 

If you're downloading the items directly from Netflix and using the Netflix app to do so, it's possible that the system is still seeing the items as a stream, and therefore throttling your speed during the download.  If this is the case, turning off (or pausing) the Video Data Saver may help.  

If the above doesn't apply, or it doesn't help, it would be a good idea to perform some speed tests using the protocol listed here during the times you would normally be attempting the Netflix download(s).  

If you are not using the Netflix app for the downloads, please let us know how you are downloading them, as this may make a difference as to how to proceed with troubleshooting.

Edit:  I should add that, if the device you are using for the downloads is connected via WiFi, it would be a good idea to try it via LAN cable connection, if possible.

View solution in original post

GabeU

@bobnelms 

You're very welcome.  Though I don't know for sure if it will help, I certainly hope it does.  🙂  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU

@bobnelms 

If you're downloading the items directly from Netflix and using the Netflix app to do so, it's possible that the system is still seeing the items as a stream, and therefore throttling your speed during the download.  If this is the case, turning off (or pausing) the Video Data Saver may help.  

If the above doesn't apply, or it doesn't help, it would be a good idea to perform some speed tests using the protocol listed here during the times you would normally be attempting the Netflix download(s).  

If you are not using the Netflix app for the downloads, please let us know how you are downloading them, as this may make a difference as to how to proceed with troubleshooting.

Edit:  I should add that, if the device you are using for the downloads is connected via WiFi, it would be a good idea to try it via LAN cable connection, if possible.

I turned off the video data saver and will let you know if that worked.

Thank you very much.

GabeU

@bobnelms 

You're very welcome.  Though I don't know for sure if it will help, I certainly hope it does.  🙂  

Gabe,

It worked.  Thanks so much!

GabeU

@bobnelms 

You're quite welcome.  I'm glad to hear that it worked.  🙂