Slow speeds only in prime time hours

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhorwath
Sophomore

Slow speeds only in prime time hours

I see there's other complaints but I'm not sure what was resolved with this issue.  I have the 15mg plan, using the HT1100 modem.  In the mornings I get 20+ download speeds using testmy.net.  Afternoon it drops some, then during prime time I'm down to 1mb.  I called tech support and they thought I need to re-point the satellite but that makes no sense if I'm getting good speed during the morning hours.  Can you offer any solutions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Amanda has been working on my issue behind the scenes, so I thought I'd come on and mention that we are working through it.  The result is that I'll be switching to Gen 5 on a lower data plan than what I currently have.  With the compression of data on streaming that is used on Gen 5, I should be able to stay within the 30g.  Even if I go over 30g the throttled speed is better than what I have today so it's a no-brainer.

thanks Amanda!

View solution in original post

105 REPLIES 105
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

dhorwath,

I don't think they need any more tests than what you have performed for now unless you can get some early morning or afternoon tests (around 3-4PM and 7-9AM).  Many more tests at the same time period looks to show similar results day after day and at this point, IMO, is draining valuable data allowance.
dhorwath
Sophomore

Amanda, any word?  I'd like to discuss my account, I can be reached at the phone number on file.  If I need to contact someone else, let me know
seasterbrook
New Poster

I hope you hear something soon. Being we have the same problem, I will keep you updated as my case progresses (or doesn't) and will let you know what my plans are to resolve this issue.
dhorwath
Sophomore

thanks.  looks like I need to elevate things, not getting results here.  I'm not paying full price for this
Amanda

Hi dhorwath,

I am very sorry about the delay in response. My coworker also gave me a heads up that you reached out to us in another avenue. We've escalated your case and are waiting on our engineers to get back to us. Unfortunately they are very busy taking on the new  satellite we just launched and getting one-off individual cases done very quickly can prove difficult for our team. We try to stay on top of them to get the work done fast. The same is extended to you, Mr. Easterbrook. I will try to get both of you updates before the weekend. Rest assured I will also provide both of you discounts for the inconvenience. 

Thank you
Amanda
dhorwath
Sophomore

thanks for the response.  I look forward to fixing this as soon as possible
seasterbrook
New Poster

Amanda- Thanks from Steve as well. I look forward to hearing from you. And keep in mind my neighbor has the same problem, except he is very old and cannot pursue this issue on his own. I can provide his information to you if you require.
Amanda

Hi dhorwath,

I've had to ask Mr. Eastbrook for newer tests - I see you have some recent tests listed on testmy.net, but are not tested with the 12MB download size... Could you possibly provide any from yesterday or today so that I can provide the latest ones to our engineers? I will add some token data to your account to compensate for the data used to test.

Thank you
Amanda
dhorwath
Sophomore

http://testmy.net/db/YoLA13p0g  still slow at night
seasterbrook
New Poster

dhorwath,

Thursday evening update from seasterbrook:

I ran five,12Mb, download tests on testmy.net and my average speed was 441 kbps. I also received this message from testmy.net: 

"You might have a problem... Your connection scored only 5% of the Hughes Network Systems average (95% slower)..." [which based on my 10Gb plan is pretty accurate]

You can go to my thread to to see the jpeg of the download speeds. I notified Amanda that the tests were run per her request. We'll see what happens.
andy.donna
New Poster

i have problems like everyone else  my daytime speeds from when i get up til 4;30 central time run around 23mbps  from 4;30 til 11;00 pm my speeds drop below 1 mbs    test  readings are starstarstar   down arrow Download :: 463 Kbps 58 kB/s  up arrow Upload :: 549 Kbps 69 kB/sSpeed in Mbps98% slower than The Index 24.2 Mbps98% slower than the US Average 22.6 Mbps95% slower than My Host Average 9.2 MbpsComparable to My Average 0.5 MbpsMy Download Speed 0.5 Mbps02468101214161820222426My Download Speed: 0.5 Mbps

Speed in Mbps90% slower than The Index 5.8 Mbps92% slower than the US Average 7.1 Mbps5% slower than My Host Average 0.6 Mbps10% slower than My Average 0.6 MbpsMy Upload Speed 0.5 Mbps00.511.522.533.544.555.566.577.5My Upload Speed: 0.5 Mbps

X
You might have a problem...Your connection scored only 5% of the Hughes Network Systems average (95% slower). This does not always mean that you're in bad shape. If the Internet package you subscribe to is slower than most people using your ISP you'll see this message.
andy.donna
New Poster

[url=http://testmy.net/db/Qi3k60ab5.H93FXrTU5][/url]          just took this reading  at 7;29 pm central time 
andy.donna
New Poster

starstarstar   down arrow Download :: 528 Kbps 66 kB/s  up arrow Upload :: 1.3 Mbps 159 kB/sSpeed in Mbps98% slower than The Index 23.1 Mbps98% slower than the US Average 22.6 Mbps94% slower than My Host Average 9.2 Mbps6% faster than My Average 0.5 MbpsMy Download Speed 0.5 Mbps02468101214161820222426My Download Speed: 0.5 Mbps

Speed in Mbps76% slower than The Index 5.4 Mbps82% slower than the US Average 7.1 Mbps120% faster than My Host Average 0.6 Mbps148% faster than My Average 0.5 MbpsMy Upload Speed 1.3 Mbps00.511.522.533.544.555.566.577.5My Upload Speed: 1.3 Mbps

X
You might have a problem...Your connection scored only 6% of the Hughes Network Systems average (94% slower). This does not always mean that you're in bad shape. If the Internet package you subscribe to is slower than most people using your ISP you'll see this message        THIS TEST WAS DONE HOOKED STRAIGHT TO THE MODEN 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You're not alone. I may get in trouble and lose "Champion" badge but think it may be "growing pains" with the new satellite coming online. My belief is they may be offloading traffic while upgrading ground infrastructure to support the new satellite. Like highway construction.

I'm really not an insider or employee. Just a customer like everyone else. I do have a pretty good understanding how satellite internet works though.

This is pretty typical for 3-4 hours prime time lately. Personally I can live with it for awhile if means better service down the road. I can still browse fine, just can't download files or stream much.
andy.donna
New Poster

I really need some one to contact me that speaks english and from usa would be nice  i am a new custmer  only had hughes net for 3 days if i cant get the speeds i were promise or even close to the speed iwas promised i dont need something i cant use ....
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

One more, actually good considering.

My history, will run more night speeds: http://testmy.net/quickstats/sgoshe
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Even "rude and uncaring" Champions get poor speeds sometimes.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Don't think you would lose Champion over those statements Barb. 🙂  I lean more on the, they finished overselling capacity too early for Jupiter 2 to come online thus everyone is having some pains with room. 🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

At least going up:

Usually back to norm around 10 PM Central time.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Down again. Not asking for help only saying nightly prime speed extreme slowdown is more than an isolated thing.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Really bad this one. Again, not asking for help only saying it is a problem for many. I've adjusted my large file download and streaming time, many can't. Sure hope the new satellite is the messiah it is being touted to be. (signed rouge Champion)  🙂

Guessing around 10-11 PM speed will jump back to at least 10+ mbps. Will post if still awake.

I'm rude and uncaring so this is totally about me.  😛