Hughesnet Community

Trying to set up replacement refurbished modem.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reluttr
Freshman

Trying to set up replacement refurbished modem.

So about a week ago my modem unexpectedly stopped working. I've only had HN service for a few weeks.

Today I recieved the replacement refurbished unit. I followed the instructions and plugged in the coax, network, and power cabled before plugging the power supply into my surge protector.

Now the paper included with the modem says that the initalization process will take about 60 minutes. I noticed that the modem has lights turning on and off and its rebooting, so I just assumed this is normal.

About 90 minutes later I notice that I still cannot access the modem dashboard and it is still power cycling.

Here is what it does starting at a power cycle.
1. The power button is a orangeish white color, all other LED's other than WIFI are illuminated white, WIFI is not illuminated at all.
2. Power button turns pure white, all other LED's turn off.
3. After a few minutes the power LED will flash red and the entire process will start again.

I tried contacting the live chat, and outside of having me unplug the modem and wait 30 second and try again, they were unable to help. Hoping someone here might be able to help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Good morning reluttr,

Thank you for the additional details. Let us take care of any repairs for you, only authorized HughesNet technicians may replace parts and repair the HughesNet equipment.  I've issued a complimentary dispatch to address your concerns. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Saturday, Mar 16, 2019 between 8:00 AM-11:00 AM. Your assigned local dealer will reach out to you confirm the appointment, so if you need to reschedule, you can do so at that time.

I hope the visit goes well and you're back online soon!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Liz

Hi reluttr,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thank you for the details, this helps. Does this behavior still persist if you plug the modem's power cord directly into a power outlet?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi,

I have tried plugging the modem into a different outlet and it is still exhibiting the same behaviour.

Is it normal for the router to do this during the first time setup after installing it as a replacement unit?

Ok so I have a new development.

If I disconnect the modem from the LNB, the modem will boot like normal and I can access the control panel.

The second I reconnect the coax cable it goes back into a reboot loop.

Tommarrow im going to try running a new Coaxal cable to the LNB and see if that fixes the issue. Maybe the issue is as simple as a defective coaxal cable.

In the event that it is the LNB that is faulty, how would I go about requesting a replacement? Due to job restrictions it would be very difficult for me to work in the free time to meet a technician, plus the part looks very easy to just swap out without doing any re-adjustments. So being able to just do it myself like the modem replacement would be the most flexable option for me.

Liz

Good morning reluttr,

Thank you for the additional details. Let us take care of any repairs for you, only authorized HughesNet technicians may replace parts and repair the HughesNet equipment.  I've issued a complimentary dispatch to address your concerns. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Saturday, Mar 16, 2019 between 8:00 AM-11:00 AM. Your assigned local dealer will reach out to you confirm the appointment, so if you need to reschedule, you can do so at that time.

I hope the visit goes well and you're back online soon!

Thanks! Everything is back up and running now. 🙂

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@reluttr wrote:

Good to hear!  

Did they end up having to replace the coax?  

@GabeU wrote:

@reluttr wrote:

Good to hear!  

I hope this is not going to be another one of those threads where everything is fixed, but you can't figure out what was actually done.   I was betting on a bad radio, just because not much can go wrong with coax unless it's physically damaged.

Hope we both get an answer soon.

@GabeU wrote:

@reluttr wrote:

Good to hear!  

Nope, the coax was good, it ended up being the radio that had went faulty. The technician said that the one installed with the dish was a refurbished unit and it had more than likely just hit its end-of-life. He claimed the replacement I got was a new unit, so hopefully I wont run into this particular issue again for a long time.

Now keep in mind I had to replace the modem as well because it would not power on. So with that in mind my only educated guess is that the weatherproofing on the radio must have failed during the most recent thunderstorm and allowed rain to get inside and cause a internal short. So the next morning when I hooked the modem back up and connected power it zapped both devices. Then over the next few days the moisture evaporated, which is why it didnt also short out the replacement modem.

I would say it could have been a lightning strike, however, I had completely disconnected the modem long before the storm started. Plus I would assume a lightning strike would have been pretty easy to diagnose by the tech.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@reluttr 

It most likely is as you suggest, as in connecting the modem to a shorted radio caused it to go kaput, as well.  

I'm just glad it's now fixed.  🙂