Unable to reset modem following momentary power outage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AL3
New Poster

Unable to reset modem following momentary power outage

Since having HughesNet installed approximately four months ago, we have had two momentary power outages. On both occasions, after the HT2000W modem boots back up, we have no internet access. All our devices (laptop, phones, tablet, etc.) indicate they are connected to the network with no internet access. I tried unplugging the modem for a ½ hour and plugging it back in, that didn’t correct the issue. I tried the reset button on the modem, that didn’t correct the issue. I tried logging into the modem from my laptop, going to WIFI link, going to Administration, and clicking on the Reboot option. After rebooting, the problem still existed. So, called into technical support and had them do a reset from their end. Internet access immediately returned after the support rep did the reboot. Why do the reboot efforts available to the end-user not resolve this problem? Every time I have a momentary power outage am I going to have to call technical support for a reboot? What is the reboot being sent from technical support resetting in the modem that all the other reset efforts apparently can’t reset?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Damian

Hello Alan,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. When you are performing resets on the modem, it is important not to press the reset button without having a technical representative on the phone. Pressing the reset button is a part of sequence only performed for factory resets and can potentially brick your modem when done arbitrarily. It is recommended to unplug the modem directly from the power brick or wall outlet for up to 30 seconds and no less than 10. 

In regards to performing the soft reboot, this can sometimes be done in conjunction with other functions only available to our agents, for certain situations.  Since frequent power outages can be harmful to the modem, power cycling may not always work by itself and will require you to call in for further diagnosis and troubleshooting.  

-Damian 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Damian

Hello Alan,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. When you are performing resets on the modem, it is important not to press the reset button without having a technical representative on the phone. Pressing the reset button is a part of sequence only performed for factory resets and can potentially brick your modem when done arbitrarily. It is recommended to unplug the modem directly from the power brick or wall outlet for up to 30 seconds and no less than 10. 

In regards to performing the soft reboot, this can sometimes be done in conjunction with other functions only available to our agents, for certain situations.  Since frequent power outages can be harmful to the modem, power cycling may not always work by itself and will require you to call in for further diagnosis and troubleshooting.  

-Damian 

Hello Alan,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

-Damian