Hughesnet Community

Upload (Streaming) to Twitch (Not Download/Watching) being Throttled despite GB left in plan?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJinCA
Freshman

Upload (Streaming) to Twitch (Not Download/Watching) being Throttled despite GB left in plan?

Is HughesNet throttling Twitch streaming (the upload, not watching) now? If so, why weren't we notified? Why isn't this posted anywhere? How do I fix this?

I've currently got about 11 GB of daytime data and 49 GB of "bonus" overnight data. The new data month started on Tuesday.

I've been on HughesNet Gen 5 for over two years and have had zero issues with livestreaming to Twitch, whether unthrottled or throttled, provided I keep my bitrate very low.

Until this month. Despite being unthrottled right now (and despite having 11 GB left on a 20 GB plan!), Twitch and only Twitch appears to be throttled *only when I'm live*.

I can load other websites just fine, but my dashboard, other streams, my own stream page, etc will not load.

My stream barely stays connected and I drop tons of frames. I can't keep my chat bot connected (it connects just fine prior to going live, then starts having connectivity issues once stream starts). Within a few seconds of stream ending, I can mysteriously load Twitch pages, again. This has happened twice: Wednesday 8/7 and today.

Nothing else is going on on my network (and even if it were, I'd also be having issues when I'm not live, not just when I am live). No one else is having this issue on Twitch at the moment, so it's unlikely it's on Twitch's end.

For reference, my current hard-wired TestMy results from 8/7 and 8/10:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/AJLandon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for responding! Sorry it took so long to respond - the internet is now completely out.

The issue was ongoing from Wednesday til Saturday, not just during that spike on Saturday. The people on the phone did note that HughesNet doesn't throttle down any particular site, and that aside from speeds, don't really differentiate between upload and download in terms of data usage.

My satellite dish is out of alignment, hence the weird things happening during upload. HughesNet is sending a tech today to reinstall it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@AJinCA

There does appear to have been a significant Twitch issue earlier today (Saturday), which is shown here

Screenshot (67).jpg

It's extremely unlikely that HughesNet has changed anything with regard to this.  A broad policy change would be announced.  Still, I'm sure a rep will reply.  They are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 5PM EST, and they usually reply within a working day.  

In the meantime, because they may need them, it would be a good idea to get a few more tests in, especially if the issue seen above isn't related to what you're seeing.  The ideal is a batch of 3-5 tests at a few different times of the day, and with the tests spaced at least five minutes apart.  And though it may seem like a waste of time to run tests at a time when the service is working, or when you are not using Twitch, it helps them to see patterns and differences.  Also, if you don't already, it would be best to disabled the WiFi in the HT2000W while running the tests to ensure that nothing is sapping any bandwidth while the tests are run.  If you don't know how to disable the WiFi, please see this PDF, and specifically the section titled, "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?"

Edit:  While making sure the links in this reply worked, I saw this.  It definitely appears that Twitch may be having a glitch.

Capture.JPG

Thank you for responding! Sorry it took so long to respond - the internet is now completely out.

The issue was ongoing from Wednesday til Saturday, not just during that spike on Saturday. The people on the phone did note that HughesNet doesn't throttle down any particular site, and that aside from speeds, don't really differentiate between upload and download in terms of data usage.

My satellite dish is out of alignment, hence the weird things happening during upload. HughesNet is sending a tech today to reinstall it.