cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vampy
Freshman

Usage meter javascript error

A javascript error occured in the main process.  Uncaught exception:

Error: Error parsing your configuration file:  [C:\Users\Vampy\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\status-meter.config]: Unexpected Token

I tried uninstalling and reininstalling and got the same thing.  Any suggestions ?  Thanks in advance for any help.

HughesError01.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@inthewoodsworki

The following fix for the Javascript error won't cripple your computer.  Just don't delete anything other than what's described in the instructions.  Regarding Windows, you'll probably have to change your folder options to be able to view Hidden Items to see the AppData folder and its contents described in the directions.  To do so, click "View", then check the box for "Hidden Items", as you see in the red boxes in the picture below.  When you're finished with the procedure, uncheck "Hidden Items" so they are hidden again, as they are hidden by default for a reason.  If you have a Mac, I'm not sure if you have to unhide anything. 

Screenshot (72).jpg

The instructions for the JavaScript error.  Credit goes to @MarkJFine

In the event that this happens:
1. Fully quit the Usage Meter from it's own menu by clicking on the donut in the menubar and clicking "Quit".
2. Look for the following directory
   Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\
   Mac: /Users/[your User name]/Library/Application Support/
3. Carefully delete just the "HughesNet Usage Meter" folder under that and empty the trash.
4. Restart the Usage Meter. This will regenerate all the underlying information as if it were run for the first time, thus correcting the error.

View solution in original post

136 REPLIES 136

Upgrading to Gen5 is not the problem. The problem lies with Hughes as when the "NEW" status meter was upgraded ,the status meter will crash when you have a power loss and computer on. This problem has and will always be there until Hughes writes a new code that is    not prone to crashing!

Constantly seeing people uninstalling Usage Meter and Java then reinstalling them, only to find out it did nothing.

The posts that suggest that fix should be rooted out and burned.

The problem is and has always been with corruption of the local user files on every platform. Unistalling always leaves those behind.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I was told by one of HN phone tech suppport people that Usage Meter won't work with the latest W10 update and he advised me to just unistall it and to use HN website, instead, to see my usage. Another rep had no clue about what the fisrt one said.  

What do you know? 

Thank you.

@ZPHughes wrote:

What do you know? 

I know for a fact that it does work in the latest Win10 update, and that the tech support person is misinformed.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

.Just popping back in to see if there is anything new here.  For months I have simply been going to their website to track my usage.  I would love to have that meter back.   It is just so quick and easy to use.  I had hoped they might have something new that works without sending me into parts of my computer with which I am unfamiliar.  Guess not.  Could you please tell me again step by step how to get to where I need to go to clear my computer of the remnants of the old usage meter?

GabeU

@jimmie_evlyn

Are you speaking of actually removing all remnants, or just what you need to in order to get it working again?  If the former, it's a bit of a process.  As you have to uninstall the meter, search by name and such for additional files to delete, then run something like CCleaner to clear the registry of all remnants.  

If you're talking about the process to get it working again, it's the following, which is a copy/paste....

The instructions for the JavaScript error.  Credit goes to @MarkJFine

In the event that this happens:
1. Fully quit the Usage Meter from it's own menu by clicking on the donut in the menubar and clicking "Quit".
2. Look for the following directory
   Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\
   Mac: /Users/[your User name]/Library/Application Support/
3. Carefully delete just the "HughesNet Usage Meter" folder under that and empty the trash.
4. Restart the Usage Meter. This will regenerate all the underlying information as if it were run for the first time, thus correcting the error.

Regarding Windows, you'll probably have to change your folder options to be able to view Hidden Items to see the AppData folder and its contents described in the directions.  To do so, click "View", then check the box for "Hidden Items", as you see in the red boxes in the picture below.  When you're finished with the procedure, uncheck "Hidden Items" so they are hidden again, as they are hidden by default for a reason.  If you have a Mac, I'm not sure if you have to unhide anything. 

Screenshot (72).jpg

Thanks, Gabe.  As I've said before, when I ask for step by step directions, this is what I need to know:  2. Look for the following directory
Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\.  How do I get to that directory/folder?  Can anyone tell me that?   That is the first thing I need to know ikn order to do what needs to be done.

Also, I have just seen where they have a new meter,  Will that work without makikng any olther changes?

GabeU

@jimmie_evlyn wrote:

2. Look for the following directory Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\.  How do I get to that directory/folder?  Can anyone tell me that?   That is the first thing I need to know ikn order to do what needs to be done.  

You click on "This PC" on your desktop, then click on C, then each thing that shows after that, but you have to enable the Hidden views to be able to see the AppData folder and further.  

So, you'd click on the This PC icon on the desktop, then C, which is sometimes labelled "Local Disk", then Users, then the folder with your name (NOT the Public or Default folder), then AppData, then Roaming, then right click on the HughesNet Usage Meter folder and click delete.  Then restart the meter.  When it restarts it will rebuild the HughesNet Usage Meter folder you just deleted, which contained the corrupted information.  

@jimmie_evlyn wrote: 

Also, I have just seen where they have a new meter,  Will that work without makikng any olther changes?

I'm not familiar with a new HughesNet Usage Meter.  The newest one is 6.7, which has been out for many months (last year, maybe?).  

maratsade

You click on "This PC" on your desktop

None of my laptops came with the "This PC" icon on the desktop. I have to click the File Explorer icon...

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

None of my laptops came with the "This PC" icon on the desktop. I have to click the File Explorer icon...

That's interesting.  It's probably just the way I set mine up and I forget that I do that.  Sometimes it's called "Computer" or "My Computer" as well.  I actually had to look for File Explorer as I've never used it before, though I often see it mentioned.  

But, yeah, you can get to C (Local Disk) through Start > Windows System > File Explorer and then clicking on This PC in the tree on the left.  

maratsade

I remember the My Computer icon from before, but not with Windows 10.  In one of the Win 10 updates, they actually put the File Explorer icon on the taskbar.   Edit:  You have a Pro, though, so your setup may be different from my Home edition setup.

@GabeU wrote:

That's interesting.  It's probably just the way I set mine up and I forget that I do that.  Sometimes it's called "Computer" or "My Computer" as well.  I actually had to look for File Explorer as I've never used it before, though I often see it mentioned.  

But, yeah, you can get to C (Local Disk) through Start > Windows System > File Explorer and then clicking on This PC in the tree on the left.  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I remember the My Computer icon from before, but not with Windows 10.  In one of the Win 10 updates, they actually put the File Explorer icon on the taskbar.  Edit:  You have a Pro, though, so your setup may be different from my Home edition setup. 

Actually, now that I think of it, it's one of the icons that I delete from the taskbar due to never using it.  😛  

I just put it back to start getting in the habit of using it.  Actually, as of about two weeks ago I started using the "Pictures" shortcut that's on the left when you open the Start Menu.  Up until that point I would always click on the "User Files" folder on the desktop, then click on Pictures.  

I've REALLY got to start getting into the habit of using the built in shortcuts.  😛  

maratsade

I don't have a Pictures shortcut on the start menu.... I wonder if the configuration is related to brand. 

@GabeU wrote:
I just put it back to start getting in the habit of using it.  Actually, as of about two weeks ago I started using the "Pictures" shortcut that's on the left when you open the Start Menu.  Up until that point I would always click on the "User Files" folder on the desktop, then click on Pictures.  

I've REALLY got to start getting into the habit of using the built in shortcuts.  😛  

Hello! Is there a solution here that is recommended? I see one on page 6 from Gabe that would work. Otherwise I can either leave it unsolved or mark multiple posts as solutions.

Thanks,

Amanda

The one at the bottom of page 6 is fine. It basically encapsulates everything that needs to be done, including the hidden folder thing.

Awesome, thanks! Just an FYI, I sent out a notification to management regarding this issue and the fact that it is still ongoing. 

@Amanda

I'm not sure what can really be done to fix it (and some of the other comms issues). From what I've seen there might be two alternatives:
1. Add some pre-emptive code that periodically updates the caches and local storage; or

2. Add code on startup that traps the validity of the data as it's read and treats it as a null file to recreate instead of just throwing an error (probably what I'd end up doing).

Normally, I'd say you add something hooked to a 'shutdown' notification, but there's no real way to deal with something like a power outage or other abrupt disconnect.

@MarkJFine

Not sure either, but I am pushing for some resolution based on the fact that I've never really seen another program break every time a hard shutdown occurs. 

@Amanda

Well, if anyone needs me to jump in and squash it, let me know.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

All I know is... This has been around for 2 years now, and it gets REALLY annoying when a proper shutdown isn't performed... Sometimes I get a hard lock on my computer while gaming, and bleh!

Hi all,

Quick update - This issue has been pushed further up the chain and I'm hopeful to have some tangible progress soon. In the meantime please do not forget we offer a free HughesNet mobile app for Android & iOS! You can check your data anytime, anywhere using the HughesNet app while I wrangle this for y'all 🙂