cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage meter javascript error

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Usage meter javascript error

I remember the My Computer icon from before, but not with Windows 10.  In one of the Win 10 updates, they actually put the File Explorer icon on the taskbar.   Edit:  You have a Pro, though, so your setup may be different from my Home edition setup.

@GabeU wrote:

You click on "This PC" on your desktop

None of my laptops came with the "This PC" icon on the desktop. I have to click the File Explorer icon...

That's interesting.  It's probably just the way I set mine up and I forget that I do that.  Sometimes it's called "Computer" or "My Computer" as well.  I actually had to look for File Explorer as I've never used it before, though I often see it mentioned.  

But, yeah, you can get to C (Local Disk) through Start > Windows System > File Explorer and then clicking on This PC in the tree on the left.  

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@maratsade wrote:

I remember the My Computer icon from before, but not with Windows 10.  In one of the Win 10 updates, they actually put the File Explorer icon on the taskbar.  Edit:  You have a Pro, though, so your setup may be different from my Home edition setup. 

Actually, now that I think of it, it's one of the icons that I delete from the taskbar due to never using it.  Smiley Tongue  

I just put it back to start getting in the habit of using it.  Actually, as of about two weeks ago I started using the "Pictures" shortcut that's on the left when you open the Start Menu.  Up until that point I would always click on the "User Files" folder on the desktop, then click on Pictures.  

I've REALLY got to start getting into the habit of using the built in shortcuts.  Smiley Tongue  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Reinstallation and Java update did not work for me. Here is how I solved it. I first closed the Usage Meter in Task Manager. Then I deleted the file: "C:\Users\Chip\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\status-meter.conf." That file was recreated in a properly functioning form when I restarted the Usage Meter.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

I don't have a Pictures shortcut on the start menu.... I wonder if the configuration is related to brand. 

@GabeU wrote:
I just put it back to start getting in the habit of using it.  Actually, as of about two weeks ago I started using the "Pictures" shortcut that's on the left when you open the Start Menu.  Up until that point I would always click on the "User Files" folder on the desktop, then click on Pictures.  

I've REALLY got to start getting into the habit of using the built in shortcuts.  Smiley Tongue  

@Chipster96

The "Accepted Solution" on the first page contains incorrect information.  Java and Javascript are two different things, and updating or deleting and reinstalling Java has no effect on the JavaScript issue.  

The correct instructions have been posted throughout this thread, but people first see the "Accepted Solution" and assume, and rightfully so, that it is the actual solution, while in reality it isn't.  

Only the person who started the thread can accept, or un-accept, a given solution, which ironically, in this case, was also written by the person who started the thread.  The OP hasn't been on here in over a year, so unless a moderator intervenes and un-accepts the post as the solution, people will continue to see it as the fix, when it actually isn't.  Smiley Sad  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@Liz

@Amanda

Is there any way that one of you could un-accept the accepted solution for this error?  It's not the correct fix, and it gives steps concerning Java, which has nothing to do with this error.  

Highlighted

Hello! Is there a solution here that is recommended? I see one on page 6 from Gabe that would work. Otherwise I can either leave it unsolved or mark multiple posts as solutions.

Thanks,

Amanda

Highlighted
Associate Professor

The one at the bottom of page 6 is fine. It basically encapsulates everything that needs to be done, including the hidden folder thing.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted

Awesome, thanks! Just an FYI, I sent out a notification to management regarding this issue and the fact that it is still ongoing. 

Highlighted
Associate Professor

@Amanda

I'm not sure what can really be done to fix it (and some of the other comms issues). From what I've seen there might be two alternatives:
1. Add some pre-emptive code that periodically updates the caches and local storage; or

2. Add code on startup that traps the validity of the data as it's read and treats it as a null file to recreate instead of just throwing an error (probably what I'd end up doing).

Normally, I'd say you add something hooked to a 'shutdown' notification, but there's no real way to deal with something like a power outage or other abrupt disconnect.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.