cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vampy
Freshman

Usage meter javascript error

A javascript error occured in the main process.  Uncaught exception:

Error: Error parsing your configuration file:  [C:\Users\Vampy\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\status-meter.config]: Unexpected Token

I tried uninstalling and reininstalling and got the same thing.  Any suggestions ?  Thanks in advance for any help.

HughesError01.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@inthewoodsworki

The following fix for the Javascript error won't cripple your computer.  Just don't delete anything other than what's described in the instructions.  Regarding Windows, you'll probably have to change your folder options to be able to view Hidden Items to see the AppData folder and its contents described in the directions.  To do so, click "View", then check the box for "Hidden Items", as you see in the red boxes in the picture below.  When you're finished with the procedure, uncheck "Hidden Items" so they are hidden again, as they are hidden by default for a reason.  If you have a Mac, I'm not sure if you have to unhide anything. 

Screenshot (72).jpg

The instructions for the JavaScript error.  Credit goes to @MarkJFine

In the event that this happens:
1. Fully quit the Usage Meter from it's own menu by clicking on the donut in the menubar and clicking "Quit".
2. Look for the following directory
   Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\
   Mac: /Users/[your User name]/Library/Application Support/
3. Carefully delete just the "HughesNet Usage Meter" folder under that and empty the trash.
4. Restart the Usage Meter. This will regenerate all the underlying information as if it were run for the first time, thus correcting the error.

View solution in original post

136 REPLIES 136
GabeU

@DaddyDe 

You're very welcome.  🙂  

If while trying to delete the HughesNet usage meter and it shows that it is unable to delete due to the file being in use then go task manager and close all processes for HughesNet usage meter and then delete the HughesNet usage meter folder.

Thank you SO much for your fix. I too had installed and uninstalled the latest version of the status meter four times with the same error message occurring. I just did your "fix' and viola` it's working like a charm. You're the best!! Thanks again. 

Thank you so much!  It worked!

I think you're talking to me and if so you're welcome  🙂

GabeU

Didn't know this thread existed.  Had the same problem over the weekend when my power blipped because of a storm.  The computer immediately restarted, but then I started getting this error, having never encountered it before.  

I eventually fixed the problem, though I ended up doing a couple of extra things that, it turns out, I didn't need to do. 

I wish I had happened onto this thread sooner.  

I'm having the same problem, but I don't have the folder C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter.  It worked fine until the other day.  Seems my Hughenet folder is under C:/Program Files, and it won't allow me to delete it.  I've done the Java uninstall and reinstall and the same with the usage meter.  Nothing seems to work.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Guys... Java it self has nothing to do with Javascript...  It that is the case, very few websites would work right now seeing as Java doesn't work in most browsers anymore.

@Darryl

Replace "Username" with the name of the account your loging into the computer with.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Guys... Java it self has nothing to do with Javascript...  It that is the case, very few websites would work right now seeing as Java doesn't work in most browsers anymore.

@Darryl

Replace "Username" with the name of the account your loging into the computer with.

True, don't know if updating Java is necessary but did it anyway. I still have Java installed in Windows but the browsers I use don't support it anymore. Probably just deleting the folder mentioned is the real fix.

@Darryl

As mentioned, you need to replace 'Username' with your actual username.  But there are also other reasons you might not have such a directory.  Easiest thing to do is just type %AppData% in Windows Explorer, which will take you straight there regardless of how your machine or user account is set up.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

For some reason my AppData folder was hidden, so I typed in the command that you gave me, which brought me to my AppData folder.  Deleted the folder in question and now my status meter is working.  Again, Thanks.

I had this problem happen to me this weekend too. I wonder if an unrelated program updated and caused the glitch ?

Thank you to the OP for the repair.  I probabaly would have never figured it out.  

@tevansnc wrote:

I wonder if an unrelated program updated and caused the glitch ?

An "unrelated program" like "Bob's Knitting Made Easy for Windows" or something that just happened to know exactly where status-meter.config was, and stomped on it?   Not a chance.

If anyone comes along and gets the error and has not done the fix, please make a copy of status-meter.config first, then after doing the fix, do a comparison between the two versions of the file.  I never had the thing installed, otherwise I'd look into it myself.

That did it for me!    Thank you  -I tried the whole Java Runtime install and same problem so went to the Roaming Folder in App Data and folders from previous and the current install were there even after uninstalling.  So I deleted the old folder and had to go to Task Manager and end the current Hughes Net Usage Meter Background Processes ( two separate instances) to be able to delete the current folder in App Data.  Then I reinstalled the current Usage Meter and it worked fine like before.  🙂   Thank you so much again!

Meter working now ,Thank you for the fix. Was working fine until a lightning storm rolled through and power kept going on and off, so now when weather gets bad i shut the computer down!

RG

GabeU

@RG wrote:

Meter working now ,Thank you for the fix. Was working fine until a lightning storm rolled through and power kept going on and off, so now when weather gets bad i shut the computer down!

RG

You'd never think a power issue could, or even would, cause something like this, and why it does, at least for you and I, is definitely a head scratcher.  At least it can be fixed, though, thankfully.   

The combination of the info from Vampy and the instruction from Corrosive FINALLY WORKED!!  I've been working on this for months because I like to solve things.  I've uninstalled/reinstalled Java and the Usage Meter many times and tried dozens of suggestions.  But this is the one that worked.  I did install jre-8u121-windows-x64.  And then I uninstalled the Usage Meter plus added Corrosive's instructions to do these deletions--not done before--before the re-installation of the meter--as follows:

"Try uninstalling the status meter and usage meter from your system, then navigate to C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\, and delete anything that desides in that folder.  Also navigate to c:\program files\hughesnet-usage-meter and delete anything that may reside in that folder.  Then download and install the latest version (Should be 6.6) and see what happens."  See Corrosive in earlier suggestions.

It turned out that in the HughesNet Usage Meter subfiles there were lots of hidden files.  That finally worked! 

I then used the new  jre-8u121-windows-x64 installer for Java (this time I had not uninstalled Java, I just ran this installer which reinstalled the Java I already have).  Then, of course, reboot.  Imagine my shock when the Usage Meter finally worked.  Can't believe it.  But it's really important to have this so I'm glad this worked.  Question to HughesNet:  Really?  Can't you fix this for people so that your Usage Meter finally works without all the problems?

By the way, I am running Windows 10 on a five-month-old laptop. 

Great thanks to Corrosive and Vampy.  Good job!!  This may not work for everyone, but I sure hope it will.

@bonnienelsonwa

@bonnienelsonwa wrote:

"Try uninstalling the status meter and usage meter from your system, then navigate to C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\, and delete anything that desides in that folder.  Also

Guarantee that's the only thing you needed to do. Everything else was ancillary, especially the Java part. The Usage Meter runs on JavaScript which is loosely based on the same language, but has nothing to do with the version of Java you installed.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Is this still considered to be THE BEST way tto deal with this problem?

C0RR0SIVE

Assistant Professor

"Re: Usage meter javascript error

Vampy,

Try uninstalling the status meter and usage meter from your system, then navigate to C:\Users\Vampy\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\, and delete anything that desides in that folder.  Also navigate to c:\program files\hughesnet-usage-meter and delete anything that may reside in that folder.  Then download and install the latest version (Should be 6.6) and see what happens."

I reported mine so long ago I have just about learned to get along without this very useful tool.  There were so many answers and so much confusion, I just decided to leave it alone because I was afraid I would cause more problems.  If this problem has a real fix, could someone please give me detailed instructions on what to do, how to do it and how to get there?  I sure would like to have that tool back.

Downloaded today ,it crashed so deleted both old and "new" Hughes please FIX it!

After going through the hoops of deleting and reinstalling Hughes Usage Meter and JavaScript, removing the folder "\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter" is what ultimately fixed my issue.

Did upgading to the Gen5 modems cause this issue?