cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage meter javascript error

Assistant Professor

Re: Usage meter javascript error

Yeah, maybe someone can make it more specific than the absolute file path that I provided. I just don't know how to do that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor III

@MarkJFine wrote:

Yeah, maybe someone can make it more specific than the absolute file path that I provided. I just don't know how to do that.

I actually PMed him about how to get there and how to unhide the AppData folder.  I figured it was better to do it there, rather than here, due to the possibility of those not used to files and such causing more harm than good by accidentally deleting something they shouldn't.  It is, perhaps, an unfounded fear, though.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

I think not so unfounded.  I have done some of this kind of thing and it scares the bejesus out of me.  I really appreciate the great instructions you guys have provided.  I may try to fix and I may try to find a usage meter somewhefre else.  Anyone know of another one that would take the place of  of the hughesnet meter.  I wish Hughesnet would fix the problem with theirs.

jimmie_evlyn,

Unfortunately, no, there are no other usage meters that can be used with HughesNet.  There is, however, the HughesNet Mobile App, which is available for both Apple devices and Android devices.  If you search for HughesNet Mobile App on Google, you should see them listed in the results.  

With that said, there are also a couple of other places to see your data.  You can click on My Usage at the top right of this community to see what percentage of your data you have remaining.  You can also sign in to the HughesNet myAccount site and click on the Usage tab.  The latter gives you the ability to see your actual data amounts and usage history, and the ability to purchase tokens.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Like Gabe says, best to go here, may need to sign in. Gives use down to the MB, more accurate than the tray meter. http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount?_mpsource=Header&_udreq=1&tab=Usage

Sophomore

Thanks GabeU.  I go to my Hughesnet Acct every nite at shutdown time to get exact amount of data used.  I keep a daily log of how many MBs of data I use every single day.  Have done this for a very long time.  That is why I know that Gen 5 is really greedy and eats up so much more bandwidth than Gen 4.  I will check out the mobile app for android.  I assume that is what I need for Windows 10?  Thank you for all your help.

jimmie_evlyn,

The mobile apps can only be used with those devices, like an iPhone or an Android based phone, but they can still tell you what data you have available on your HughesNet account.  

BTW, and this is a little off topic for the thread, but one thing that might help save some data is installing an ad blocker to whatever browser you use with Windows 10.  Adblock Plus is very common, and it's available for all of the popular browsers.  Ads can use a good little chunk of data to run, and blocking them from doing so can save you that data.   

https://adblockplus.org/   It should detect which browser you use and give you the correct version.  Once it's installed, click on its icon on the upper right of your browswer, go into Options and uncheck "Allow some non-intrusive advertising", as those "non-intrusive" ads still use data.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Delete HughesNet Status Meter from programs, Go to File Explorer Windows 10, Look in Program Files and delete HughesNet Status Meter, do the same if in Program Files 86. Go to HughesNet websight log in and under My Account, Usage download HughesNet Status Meter again. Once downloaded and installed I unchecked the box to launch, closed the installer, and then clicked the desktop icon and the icon appeared in the task tray. This worked for me. Thanks for those who posted this fix!

Spectator

That really confused me.  My meter was running fine for a few days and then it stopped and gave me this error.  What do I need to do to fix it without crippling my computer?

@inthewoodsworki

The following fix for the Javascript error won't cripple your computer.  Just don't delete anything other than what's described in the instructions.  Regarding Windows, you'll probably have to change your folder options to be able to view Hidden Items to see the AppData folder and its contents described in the directions.  To do so, click "View", then check the box for "Hidden Items", as you see in the red boxes in the picture below.  When you're finished with the procedure, uncheck "Hidden Items" so they are hidden again, as they are hidden by default for a reason.  If you have a Mac, I'm not sure if you have to unhide anything. 

Screenshot (72).jpg

The instructions for the JavaScript error.  Credit goes to @MarkJFine

In the event that this happens:
1. Fully quit the Usage Meter from it's own menu by clicking on the donut in the menubar and clicking "Quit".
2. Look for the following directory
   Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\
   Mac: /Users/[your User name]/Library/Application Support/
3. Carefully delete just the "HughesNet Usage Meter" folder under that and empty the trash.
4. Restart the Usage Meter. This will regenerate all the underlying information as if it were run for the first time, thus correcting the error.