VPNFilter malware problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
majormom
New Poster

VPNFilter malware problem

What is the protocol to defend against this malware?

I am only using the HN modem HT2000W. Attached 3 laptops & a printer.

Thanx

Sandie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The HT2000W modem isn't affected by VPNFilter.  It's not susceptible to infection by this malware.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU

The HT2000W modem isn't affected by VPNFilter.  It's not susceptible to infection by this malware.  

Who are you?  Are you a Hughes tech? Cnet is now advising not only a reboot but a factory reset.  This is a pain in the butt since you have to reconfigure your network but it is worth it if this really protects you.   Are you confident in your advise and what are your qualifications?  Thanks but I like to be carefull.  BR

@GabeU wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

This issue isn't so much the modem (actually the router) itself, but the network is behind a double NAT and the public IP isn't accessible from anyone outside of the HughesNet system. There's no way for anyone to get to it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@Brucer46

No, I am not a HughesNet tech, but I've been around long enough to know the ins and outs of this system and to know that the HT2000W is not susceptible.  Mark has explained much of the reason why.  

Secondly, the factory reset recommended by CNet is for commercial routers, NOT a HughesNet modem.  If you perform a factory reset on the HT2000W modem you may end up doing more harm that good, and you would be responsible for the cost of the technician when one needs to be sent out to fix the issue the reset attempt caused.