Hughesnet Community

my new android phone won't connect to Hughes HT2000W. It will connect to other wifi fine.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tennessee
New Poster

my new android phone won't connect to Hughes HT2000W. It will connect to other wifi fine.

I recently swapped to Cricket. My new Samsung Galaxy Amp2 will not connect to my HughesNet WiFi, although it connects to other wifi's. I took the phone in, but it worked fine at the store. Other devices connect to the Hughes wifi fine. The phone only shows the 2.4ghz band in connections. It flashes "connecting" but will not connect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@tennessee

It's possible that the phone's and router's security settings aren't meshing, and that's why it won't connect.  I don't know what to tell you to try, as I don't have a phone like that, nor any smart phone, for that matter, but I have seen posts regarding things like this and it had to do with security settings.  Perhaps somone who has a better grasp on such will pop in and give you something to try.   

If your phone can utilize 5Ghz Wifi, it may not be seeing it due to some Ht2000W modems having an issue with the 5Ghz WiFi.  Regarding that, specifically, Hughesnet is aware of the issue and are working on an update to address it.  

Edit:  The following may help.  The pictures aren't working because of the photobucket problem, but it describes some changes to a similar phone that worked...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Third-Party-Products/Samsung-Galaxy-S-3-and-Gen-5/m-p/76775#M430

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU

@tennessee

It's possible that the phone's and router's security settings aren't meshing, and that's why it won't connect.  I don't know what to tell you to try, as I don't have a phone like that, nor any smart phone, for that matter, but I have seen posts regarding things like this and it had to do with security settings.  Perhaps somone who has a better grasp on such will pop in and give you something to try.   

If your phone can utilize 5Ghz Wifi, it may not be seeing it due to some Ht2000W modems having an issue with the 5Ghz WiFi.  Regarding that, specifically, Hughesnet is aware of the issue and are working on an update to address it.  

Edit:  The following may help.  The pictures aren't working because of the photobucket problem, but it describes some changes to a similar phone that worked...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Third-Party-Products/Samsung-Galaxy-S-3-and-Gen-5/m-p/76775#M430

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The phone most likely doesn't support 5Ghz Wifi, and probably only supports the older encryption method seeing as it's a basement bargain phone.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

The phone most likely doesn't support 5Ghz Wifi, and probably only supports the older encryption method seeing as it's a basement bargain phone.

Shows you how current I am.  LOL.  😛

With that said, I couldn't get my TracFone to connect to the HT2000W, no matter what settings I tried, though I does connect to my old Netgear router.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Most low cost Android phones only support the 2.4 GHz band. As to why it doesn't work on that band I have no idea. Could try tweaking the WiFi security settings on the phone.

My old Pantech P9090 phones with Android 4.1.2 work fine on Gen 4 HughesNet.

IT WORKED!!

Thank you, I've been working with this for a week now.  The instructions on the link had me going in less than a minute.

GabeU

@tennessee

That's great to hear.  Trust me, I know how frustrating it can be when something you are trying to get to work just isn't doing so, no matter what you try, especially when it comes to computers and networking, and their peripherals.   I'm glad the info in the link helped.  🙂