snails pace

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
randalldb
Sophomore

snails pace

my internet is really bad most of the time, sqeaking out 3mbps is usually standard speed, but latley its been

ridiculous. I cant even do a 25mb test because it would take hours. https://testmy.net/db/c82gfE5mr https://testmy.net/c82gfE5mr.png is my latest express t

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thats what I was afraid of, I'll have to drop HN after my contract expires. Go back the only other provider for the mobile home park I live at, is mediocre but its better than this. Thanks for your attention

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50

I hope so, ill pick this up again tomorrow, enough frustration for one afternoon, thanks for trying
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Hopefully @Liz will reply to you tomorrow. Hang in there!

Good morning randalldb,

Thank you for working with the community thus far. On which platforms are you trying to stream?

Are you trying to stream in in HD? If so, you should temporarily disable Video Data Saver, as that can cause buffering when trying to force HD. Otherwise, leave your playback option to "auto".

When do you normally try to stream? Do you experience issues regardless of the time of day/night?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I stream various shows mainly from Netflix, tho I will download on demand directv shows

Speeds slow mostly during the day, to under 1mbps until about 8pm
Thank you

OK, so on Netflix, what's the playback quality? We recommend setting it to Auto, so for your reference, here's how to get to those settings in Netflix.

Any difference?

If not, please let me know which device you normally use to stream Netflix. If it's a device that can be connected to the HughesNet modem via ethernet cable, please try isolating that for troubleshooting purposes and let me know if you see a difference.

To isolate the device, use an ethernet cable to connect it to the HughesNet modem.

Then disable the wifi on the modem via your System Control Center (SCC):

Visit www.systemcontrolcenter.com

Below the HughesNet logo, you'll see a menu

Click on Wi-Fi settings in the menu

From here you should have access to your Wi-Fi settings.

Uncheck "SSID Enable" under each tab for the 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, 2.4 Guest, and 5 Guest networks.

For an illustrated guide to getting to these wifi settings, you can also use this guide starting on page 4. 

Once wifi is disabled, and your streaming device is directly connected to the HughesNet modem via ethernet cable, test streaming on Netflix and let me know how that goes.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Turned off wifi on modem, disconnected directv from modem. Ran Netflix's network test. It registered .004 mbps.
Did you want me to try and stream something ?
I streamed a show on Netflix its currently streaming at 1 mbps/480

Hi randalldb,

Thanks, instead of running speed tests, please just try streaming and judge the streaming performance. Are you abe to stream successfully with minimal interruption?

-Liz

I think you missed my edit, streamed a show, speed was 1mbps/quality was 480 no interruptions, but as the day goes on it gets worse
maratsade

That points to congestion.  Can't fix that. 

randalldb wrote:
 but as the day goes on it gets worse

Thats what I was afraid of, I'll have to drop HN after my contract expires. Go back the only other provider for the mobile home park I live at, is mediocre but its better than this. Thanks for your attention
maratsade

A terrestrial provider might be a good choice for you. Good luck!

randalldb wrote:

No cable infrastructure in this neighborhood sadly
maratsade

Ditto where I live, so I'm very thankful for HN, as it allows me to live in the type of area I want to live in, with access that, even though not perfect, works for me.  🙂  

@randalldb wrote:
No cable infrastructure in this neighborhood sadly

Well HN could turn up the bandwidth from the satellite until it glows...you know..like the sun
Take care
maratsade

Sadly, that's the one thing they can't do. 

randalldb wrote:
Well HN could turn up the bandwidth from the satellite until it glows...

I usually find it difficult to download anything during the day, my mytest.net results have been very poor on a laptop connected to modem via cable anytime after 8 am till about 9pm. Then I get good speeds. During the day I'm getting under 1 mbps
maratsade

Randalldb,

You still haven't answered Liz's question:

I do see that the Galaxy-S10 had some moments of a fair signal so you might want to move that closer to the modem or switch it to the 5 GHz network.

What were you trying to do that prompted running speed tests?

You may want to answer her question, otherwise you're preventing her from helping you.

That question is NOT pertinent to my problem...not sure why it was asked. My problem is NOT wifi. I hope that has been made clear.
My problem is 1.streaming on a cable connection during daytime hours. 2. Downloading large files during daytime hours. Low low low download speeds during daytime hours.........
https://testmy.net/quickstats/Randalldb
How does that not answer her question?
What am I missing? Please spell it out.
maratsade

Liz's question was asked as part of the troubleshooting process. The reps ask questions because in their experience, these questions are pertinent to the troubleshooting process, even if you think they're not. Not answering means that troubleshooting will not move forward. It would be to your advantage to allow the reps to do their job and to answer their questions.    Your choice, of course, but as I said, troubleshooting with the reps on this site will not move forward if you don't answer their questions. 

randalldb wrote:
That question is NOT pertinent to my problem...not sure why it was asked. My problem is NOT wifi. I hope that has been made clear.
My problem is 1.streaming on a cable connection during daytime hours. 2. Downloading large files during daytime hours. Low low low download speeds during daytime hours.........
https://testmy.net/quickstats/Randalldb
What am I missing? Please spell it out.

So did my last post answer the question?
maratsade

I don't think so.  What prompted you to run tests? 

@randalldb wrote:
So did my last post answer the question?