Incoming Email Issues -- MS Outlook

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VintageHarper
New Poster

Incoming Email Issues -- MS Outlook

Hello -- Since Wednesday, I have been unable to download new email in Outlook.  Outgoing mail seems to not have an issue, but incoming mail is timing out with an error that subscribed folders cannot be synchronized.  This happens perodically, but this is the first time that it has happened recently for a multi-day period (vs. a isolated incident that will resolve itself within an hour).  

I've tried a variety of IMAP port options that I've found listed online (143, 587, 993) with and without SSL, and all seem to fail to log-in to the IMAP server on account settings test ("Your server unexpectedly terminated the connection). 

While somewhat slow, general internet connectivity is fine via Hughest Net.  We've also tried via alternate internet connection (4G cellphone hot spot), with the same results.  Login via webmail does work (so it's not a password issue).

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

If you've tried via a different network and the result is the same, the issue may be with MS mail.  Have you tried posting on their community? 

We have investigated that route and the feedback there was that it is i likely a mail server/service issue, given that it was working pretty much fine up until Wednesday PM when it started.  

Does anyone have a link to the official, current, server and port information?  I'm finding multiple answers within the HughesNet help and this forum.  

If it started Wednesday, chances are Office updated itself. Many email clients are moving to use TLS 1.3 *only* and it's possible that Outlook just went that way. That's a big problem because I don't think the HN email server at Sencor has been updated to accept 1.3 yet. As a result, any account authorizations will fail. HughesNet knows about this and are working the problem.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

So, after a bit of research, the latest Outlook included an option (at least on the Mac version) to switch to a newer interface, which unfortunately doesn't support IMAP - just POP. Prior to making the switch, the Mac version gives you alert box telling you that some existing accounts and the saved email repository may not convert. Or, in my case, just about everything was listed. Unsure how the Windows version works.

I have no idea what MS was thinking when they did this. I'm sure there are tons of people that might ignore the warning and now have no way to get back to any saved emails nor can get any new ones. #dumb

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Oh, and I have no idea if they offer an opportunity to go back to the old interface. they don't mention it in the warning and I don't aim to find out the hard way.

maratsade

I imagine they may not offer a way back. Very annoying. I'm glad that I only use OWA.

@maratsade wrote:

I imagine they may not offer a way back. Very annoying. I'm glad that I only use OWA.

That would be fine. But why not even bother to offer a way to migrate your existing mail repository first? Makes no sense.

maratsade

MS works in mysteriously absurd ways. 

Liz

Good morning VintageHarper, 

Welcome and thank you for posting. It's been a while since we last heard from you, but hopefully you found something useful from what the others have posted. I will close this thread, however if you still have concerns, please start a new one and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!