Problems using cell phones over WiFi

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rebyroo
New Poster

Problems using cell phones over WiFi

I have an android phone capable of making  calls using WiFi when no cell service is available. I have Hughes net Gen 5 and when I make calls I can hear the person on the other end very clearly, but they get a lot of break-up on their end and can't understand most of the conversation. Could this be a problem with Hughes net and if so is there a remedy?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hello Rebyroo, cell over WiFi generally will not work well on satellite due to the high latency (ping). There is no remedy for the latency because the satellite is so far up in space.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@alfrescowrote:

I have zero bars but texting works. My advice is to text moreSmiley Very Happy

Yep.  Texting seems to work even when you can't get enough of a signal to talk or connect to the net.  

And people can still use their smart phones with the HughesNet WiFi, just not for WiFi calling.  I often check Facebook and such on my phone through WiFi when my desktop is not on.  

I used to hate texting but now that I've Moved to the middle of nowhere I've learned to love it.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@alfrescowrote:

I used to hate texting but now that I've Moved to the middle of nowhere I've learned to love it.

I hadn't started until a few months ago.  I did't have a cell phone capable of it.  😛   Up until I got my Tracfone smartphone I had only used my cell phone for a total of about 50 minutes over a span of three years.  I haven't texted much since getting the smartphone, but I'm getting more used to it.  

Marylambe
New Poster

I recently switched from Frontier to Hughes Net here, high in rural region of Cascade Mtns in Washington. I have Verizon cell phone which works everywhere but my home. Additionally, I have a network extender for cell & Eero mesh network for 1500 Sq foot home built of logs and rock. A)With Frontier, I had good cell phone clarity using either wireless calling or extender. B) With Hughes Gen5 cell phone calls were hopeless.   I switched to Hughes gen5 because my Frontier single line DSL had an  upload speeds at less than 0.6. &  Hughes has upload speeds of 2.7. (I sell photography) However the cell phone dilemma is grim.  I also switched under the misperception I could obtain VOIP & keep my landline number w/ Hughes but learned 2 things 1) there was >60% chance I would lose my existing landline number 2) I could no longer use my fax (I asked why the promo lied & person said "Well, we are going to change that soon."  C) Verizon told me the extender is incompatible with Hughes after 1st saying the ports needed to be opened by Hughes [Wrong]  However D) Today I moved Verizon network extender onto Mesh Eero directly & tested wireless cell again. MUCH BETTER. Whew! I know I am just kidding myself as an extender cannot work with Hughes due to latency so this makes NO SENSE!  But enjoying the tested fantasy for now. I also ascertained  this while looking

1.  Internet search in general and through Verizon, Microsft, Skype communities showed much hatred of Hughes Net 

3. Hughes officially claimes no wireless calling as others note due to latency. My set up defies this

4. 5. Eero mesh network works --anyone compare this to the Hughes "improve home coverage" product ?

6.  Anyone with Verizon,  network extender and a mesh network test this combo and see if cell phone quality better? 

7. I am not completely disgusted as I get to switch from limited DISH to Direct TV since joining Hughes net and the plans are better. Sorry to stray...just completing my forward momentum across the goal line, so to speak. 

I did read this helpful piece in a discussion on Mcell & latency in general. Doubt anyone dumb as me but this helped me understand the issues:

"The radio signal from a satellite modem to the ISP must travel 44,600 miles (up and back) just to start off with.  That equates to a latency of 238 ms.  Now add to that the additional latency of the rest of the provider's satellite internet infrastructure and then the internet itself.  To top it off, two-way satellite Internet connections must make the same round trip twice if  data is being sent as well as received.  The result is a latency that can be as much as 1,150 ms and averages 850 ms.  Trying to carry on a conversation with this kind of delay will result in two people talking over each other, making a simple phone call an exasperating experience. The OP didn't say if he could get any signal at all on his cellphones at his home location, but there are cellphone signal booster/antenna solutions that can work in remote areas.  Wilson Electronics would be the place to start.

Subscribed bandwidth has no bearing on latency. Look at it this way.  Whether you have a garden hose (low bandwidth) or a fire hose (high bandwidth) the water still has to travel 44,600 miles roundtrip to the satellite and back.  The signal in both cases is limited by the speed of light unless Hughesnet has figured out how to bypass Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity."

MB

Marylambe
New Poster

I recently switched from Frontier to Hughes Net here, high in a rural region of Cascade Mtns in Washington. I have Verizon cell phone which works everywhere but my home. Additionally, I have a network extender for cell & Eero mesh network for 1500 sq foot home built of logs and rock. A)With Frontier, I had good cell phone clarity using either wireless calling or extender. B) With Hughes Gen5 cell phone calls were hopeless.   I switched to Hughes gen5 because my Frontier single line DSL had upload speeds at less than 0.6. &  Hughes has upload speeds of 2.7. (I sell photography) However, the cell phone dilemma is grim.  I also switched under the misperception I could obtain VOIP & keep my landline number w/ Hughes but learned 2 things 1) there was >60% chance I would lose my existing landline number 2) I could no longer use my fax (I asked why the promo lied & person said "Well, we are going to change that soon."  C) Verizon told me the extender is incompatible with Hughes after 1st saying the ports needed to be opened by Hughes [Wrong]  However D) Today I moved Verizon network extender onto Mesh Eero directly & tested wireless cell again. MUCH BETTER. Whew! I know I am just kidding myself as an extender cannot work with Hughes due to latency so this makes NO SENSE!  But enjoying the tested fantasy for now. I also ascertained  this while looking

1.  Internet search in general and through Verizon, Microsft, Skype communities showed much hatred of Hughes Net 

3. Hughes officially claimes no wireless calling as others note due to latency. My set up defies this

4. 5. Eero mesh network works --has anyone compared this to the Hughes "improve home coverage "product??

6.  Anyone with Verizon,  network extender and a mesh network test this combo and see if cell phone quality better? 

7. I am not completely disgusted as I get to switch from limited DISH to Direct TV since joining Hughes net and the plans are better. Sorry to stray...just completing my forward momentum across the goal line, so to speak. 

I did read this helpful piece in a discussion on Mcell & latency in general. Doubt anyone dumb as me but this helped me understand the issues:

"The radio signal from a satellite modem to the ISP must travel 44,600 miles (up and back) just to start off with.  That equates to a latency of 238 ms.  Now add to that the additional latency of the rest of the provider's satellite internet infrastructure and then the internet itself.  To top it off, two-way satellite Internet connections must make the same round trip twice if data is being sent as well as received.  The result is a latency that can be as much as 1,150 ms and averages 850 ms.  Trying to carry on a conversation with this kind of delay will result in two people talking over each other, making a simple phone call an exasperating experience. The OP didn't say if he could get any signal at all on his cellphones at his home location, but there are cellphone signal booster/antenna solutions that can work in remote areas.  Wilson Electronics would be the place to start.

Subscribed bandwidth has no bearing on latency. Look at it this way.  Whether you have a garden hose (low bandwidth) or a fire hose (high bandwidth) the water still has to travel 44,600 miles roundtrip to the satellite and back.  The signal in both cases is limited by the speed of light unless Hughesnet has figured out how to bypass Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity."

MB

micklouie
New Poster

Have you ever tried to forwarding your cell phone to landline HughesNet phone? I have their internet and phone service. Wonder if it would solve the issue at home.

infinitytec
Junior

I'm on Gen 5 and T-Mobile. I don't think I have any problems calling on WiFi. However, some things need to change for it to work. Try changing the WiFi calling settings to prefer WiFi over the cellular network or just turn on airplane mode and turn WiFi back on. Both of these will force the phone to go through the WiFi rather than trying to use cellular.
Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro