Hughesnet Community

Same Microsoft Update being installed twice?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Same Microsoft Update being installed twice?

Any ideas why this would happen?  

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

There are times where an update is broken, and M$ re-releases it with the same KB to fix the issue, while rare, it does happen...  Below are typical scenarios...

1: Broken update is released, not horribly broken, but enough to cause issues.  Microsoft leaves it, and re-releases the same update with a few tweaks, everyone downloads and installs the latest version.
2: Broken update is released, horribly broken and causing issues.  Microsoft pulls the update immediately and re-releases the same update later after other updates are deployed, in hopes of fixing the issues.
3: Broken update is released, horribly broken, and is on too much of the customer base to pull the update.  Microsoft starts working on one or more updates to fix this update.

There are a few updates that fall into that #2 category...  Remember my GPU errors where I had to always reload the driver at bootup to play ANY game?  Yeup, it was a broken update that Microsoft deployed 4 different times!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

There are times where an update is broken, and M$ re-releases it with the same KB to fix the issue, while rare, it does happen...  Below are typical scenarios...

1: Broken update is released, not horribly broken, but enough to cause issues.  Microsoft leaves it, and re-releases the same update with a few tweaks, everyone downloads and installs the latest version.
2: Broken update is released, horribly broken and causing issues.  Microsoft pulls the update immediately and re-releases the same update later after other updates are deployed, in hopes of fixing the issues.
3: Broken update is released, horribly broken, and is on too much of the customer base to pull the update.  Microsoft starts working on one or more updates to fix this update.

There are a few updates that fall into that #2 category...  Remember my GPU errors where I had to always reload the driver at bootup to play ANY game?  Yeup, it was a broken update that Microsoft deployed 4 different times!

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE

I was wondering if a second release of the update could be the cause, but I wasn't really sure if they did this using the same KB.   I haven't noticed anything acting up, but, of course, there could be a slew of things that aren't working correctly that I have yet to experience, and maybe never would, even if they weren't fixed.  

Thanks for the info.  

@Gwalk900

"Because you are a beta tester for MS?"

I'm actually working on becoming an alpha tester!  Woo hoo Windows 10!  😛

Hi Guys,

I'm staying away from Windows as much as possible and only bring it up from time to time for updates. I have however done several installations for friends and family lately.

I have found that if you update Windows Defender separately BEFORE the M$ update it will pretty much avoid the duplications you're experiencing.

sfc /scannow (must be run as admin) will detect and correct errors that might have been downloaded incorrectly or corrupted.

I'm still a OS X enthusiast but my secondary OS now days is Oracle Solaris11.3 UNIX. I still love Linux but have had too many crashes and instabilities to run it "on the metal". Solaris is ROCK solid and makes a great hypervisor for a Linux VM. (I like to code using NASM and it's not really Solaris compatible) Crash a VM and you just replace the file or revert to an earlier snapshot. 😛

Hope everyone's doing well. c u around

Don  🙂

@donsjgm

Hmmm.... wonder if Solaris runs under Parallels...

Even though I hate the idea of Sun being bought by Oracle.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine

Yes Solaris will run paralells.

There is the option of Open Solaris (the creators and a large staff broke off when Oracle aquired Sun) but I chose to go with Oracle.

I don't have any experience with the open version but understand great efforts have been made to keep compatiblity.

COW (copy on write aka implicit shadowing) is what I like most but requires an additional HDD. Partitioning a single drive for this defeats the purpose in the event of drive failure.

Oracle's license permits personal use for free but commercial use can be pricey.

The Gnome Desktop Environment (GDE) is rich in features and there are many apps available.

IMHO it's an impressive OS.

I haven't yet tried to run Win10 as a VM but 7 runs well as do all the flavors of linux. As of yet I haven't gotten OS X to run as a VM but I think that's because I was trying too new of a version. OS X is (VERY) picky about hardware definitions so it could be that I just haven't found the right combination yet.

On the Windows Defender business; I was having issues with other antivirus products conflicting wiith code I was writing. Not so with WD. Additionally, except for possibly paid AV, WD (providing it's kept up to date) seens to do an excellent job.

Best regards everybody,

Don  🙂

Interesting... Making me nostalgic enough to replace Gnome with X-Windows...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Mark,

Solaris has Gnome desktop AND X-Window. it's all good!

Don  🙂

BTW I forgot to mention, I did install Windows 10 as a VM on solaris and it works fine.

I'm using it as a "Honey pot" for the telephone scammers who try to convince you that your computer is sending out messages (by showing you the telemetry) and want you to give them access so they can "FIX" it.

I can then throw the current away and revert to the snapshot prior to their access. hehe

They use a non-logging proxy server so you can't trace back to them.

I'm currently working on a "payload" I can deliver to their server so LE can identify them.

Just doing my part to make the internet safer for all of us.

My best to you all,

Don  🙂

@donsjgm wrote:

I'm currently working on a "payload" I can deliver to their server so LE can identify them.

Just doing my part to make the internet safer for all of us.

I love the way you think... was thinking of doing the same to spam bots.

GabeU

@donsjgm

The duplicate update being discussed here has/had nothing to do with Windows Defender, which I don't use.   And though I have experienced instances of duplicate updates with past Windows OS's that were also completely unrelated to Windows Defender (or MSE), this is the first instance with Windows 10.  

With that said, though, your suggestion may help those who do use Defender and have experienced immediate update duplicates.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"Any ideas why this would happen?"

Because you are a beta tester for MS?Smiley Sad