Equifax Info

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Equifax Info

Just wanted to publicly thank @Liz for a very thoughtful and helpful post on the Equifax breach.

I normally don't bat an eye at these kinds of things since the OPM (GSA, or whoever) was breached by the Chinese some years back.

Turns out this time I was directly affected. As such, I was able to take full advantage of their free offering.

I would never have even thought to check if not for Liz's post.

That said, if you haven't done so, might be a good idea to check for yourselves: Helpful information regarding the Equifax breach

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
12 REPLIES 12
Liz

Good morning Mark,

You're very welcome! We just wanted to reassure folks that no customer information was taken from Hughes during this breach, and to point folks toward taking action to safeguard their private information. 

Be safe!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

ditto what Mark said.  I was also impacted by the breach.

Learned something recently: Good credit means nothing if you don't have any recent debt. My house has been paid off and we haven't had a car payment in several years. Banks won't loan you money because having no recent payment history on big ticket items increases your risk. 🤔

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Yep.  I notice that with my credit score.  They like you to be in debt forever.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Learned something recently: Good credit means nothing if you don't have any recent debt. My house has been paid off and we haven't had a car payment in several years. Banks won't loan you money because having no recent payment history on big ticket items increases your risk. 🤔

GabeU

I froze my credit at Equifax last week, but, stupidly, I didn't do the same with the other two until yesterday.  Luckily, at least in my state, doing so was free for all three, and easy to do so online.  Don't lose your PIN numbers!!!  😛  

Not that the nefarious ones don't still have my info, but at least they can't open any accounts with it while the three credit agencies have a freeze on my credit.  

This is no doubt going to be one of those breeches that hurts much more later than sooner, and at a time when people again become complacent.  Hackers can be VERY patient.  

maratsade

I froze my credit the last time there was a big breach -- something like 2 or so years ago.  It was free at the time. But normally it's not too much anyway -- maybe $10 or so. 

I wonder what happens if one loses the pin???

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I froze my credit the last time there was a big breach -- something like 2 or so years ago.  It was free at the time. But normally it's not too much anyway -- maybe $10 or so. 

I wonder what happens if one loses the pin???

I know that if I want to temporarily lift the freeze it there's a fee with each one, but it ranges from $5 to $10, so it's not bad.  To permanently lift the freeze is free, but there's got to be a limit to this or people would just unfreeze and then freeze over and over instead of temporarily unfreezing and paying for it.  

I bet they make you jump through some extensive, annoying hoops to prove who you are if you forget or lose your pin number.  It's probably just more of a pain than anything else.  I mean, there would have to be some way to get back control of your freeze.  

maratsade

I imagine the best way would be to phone them and answer those questions they ask to prove you are who you say you are. But yes, lots of hoops indeed. I imagine criminals must know of a few more too, so I have to wonder how good a freeze actually is.

I could've sworn I read somewhere that in this unique case, credit freezing would be free. I don't recall the conditons... I'll have to look into that.

Edit:

Here we go, Equifax offering free credit freezes until end of Jan:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/28/equifax-free-lifetime-credit-lock-service/

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz wrote:

I could've sworn I read somewhere that in this unique case, credit freezing would be free. I don't recall the conditons... I'll have to look into that.

Yup, they are. Took advantage of that too.

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

Edit:

Here we go, Equifax offering free credit freezes until end of Jan:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/28/equifax-free-lifetime-credit-lock-service/

I had heard about the free Equifax freeze on the evening news I watch, but, unfortunately, doing the same with the other two agencies may cost you a little, depending on where you live.  I thought the other two might be a little more considerate due to the circumstances.  😞