Hughesnet Community

Is Hughes Net going to sign the Keep Americans Connected Pledge?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddew
New Poster

Is Hughes Net going to sign the Keep Americans Connected Pledge?

On March 12, 2020 Chairman Pai asked broadband and telephone service providers and trade associations to take the Keep Americans Connected Pledge. Given the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on American society, the pledge asks providers over the next 60 days to:

(1) not terminate service to any residential or small business customers because of their inability to pay their bills due to the disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic;

(2) waive any late fees that any residential or small business customers incur because of their economic circumstances related to the coronavirus pandemic; and

(3) open its Wi-Fi hotspots to any American who needs them. 

Many service providers are taking the Keep Americans Connected Pledge and will implement it as soon as possible. 

In addition to the pledge, the Unnamed urged providers to:

(1) expand and improve low-income broadband programs (e.g. by increasing speeds and expanding eligibility).

(2) adopt low-income programs if they don't have them now.

(3) relax data cap policies as appropriate.

(4) waive long-distance and overage fees as appropriate.

(5) work with schools and libraries on remote learning opportunities.

(6) prioritize the connectivity needs of hospitals and healthcare providers.

Let's all ask HughesNet if they are going to take the Keep Americans Connected Pledge and ask what service accommodations customers can expect in your community. I need more data and speed to work from home and can't afford to pay more at this crisis moment!

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

This is what they are doing:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/About-the-Community/COVID-19-and-Your-HughesNet-Service-Updated-3...

Keep in mind that satellite internet is WAY more limited than terrestrial internet, and there is only so much that the satellite ISPs can do.  Let's all be realistic. 

Liz

Hi ddew,

Yes. We're listed in the PR on that link you posted. Here's more info about the pledge.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

This is what the pledge asks ISPs to do -- notice that raising caps is not mentioned. 

keep-americans-connected.png

The reason I am asking HughesNet to raise caps is because I am a new customer and I feel that I experienced a "bait and switch" sales pitch when I signed up. I was told that the middle plan would be sufficient for me, a single person who does not engage in gaming and uses very limited streaming.  Within the first month, I exceeded my data plan! I inquired and was told that my bill (cost) would need to increase by 50% in order to jump to the next plan (which by the way is described as a "family" plan).

Now I am stuck with a 2 year contract for a plan that does not even meet my basic needs PRIOR to beginnning to work from home.  Do I pay the extra money for the next plan? If I do, how do I know that this plan will be sufficient for my basic needs?

As usual, companies put profits before honesty. I thought HughesNet would be different.  If you can buy an upgraded plan, then that means the satellite can provide more data. So, I ask again. Why won't HughesNet upgrade our data?

maratsade

Satellite internet is a very limited supply of data, which is why caps cannot be raised. Raising caps would cause everyone to lose access. Please devise ways of saving as much data as you can, as budgeting data is crucial for satellite internet users. Just divide the amount of data you get per month by the number of days in the month, and that will tell you how much data you and your family can use per day.  If you budget your data, you can make it through the month, but it may mean things like not streaming every day.

If you feel that you were misled about the service, go to Tech Support, click on "start a topic," explain your issue, and request a sales call review.

ddew wrote:

The reason I am asking HughesNet to raise caps is because I am a new customer and I feel that I experienced a "bait and switch" sales pitch when I signed up. I was told that the middle plan would be sufficient for me, a single person who does not engage in gaming and uses very limited streaming.  Within the first month, I exceeded my data plan! I inquired and was told that my bill (cost) would need to increase by 50% in order to jump to the next plan (which by the way is described as a "family" plan).

GabeU

@ddew wrote:

The reason I am asking HughesNet to raise caps is because I am a new customer and I feel that I experienced a "bait and switch" sales pitch when I signed up. I was told that the middle plan would be sufficient for me, a single person who does not engage in gaming and uses very limited streamingWithin the first month, I exceeded my data plan! I inquired and was told that my bill (cost) would need to increase by 50% in order to jump to the next plan (which by the way is described as a "family" plan). 

"Limited streaming" is a subjective statement.  The reps can only make an educated guess on what may work for you.  

I stream on a limited basis and perform regular internet based activities, like browsing, shopping, paying bills, email, social media, Youtube, etc. while keeping three Windows 10 Pro systems and a smart phone up to date and I rarely exceed my 20GB Gen5 monthly high speed data cap.  On the few occasions that I did exceed that 20GB cap over the three years I've had this plan I knew I would and chose to, though I didn't have to.  

Setting your connected devices up to use as little data as possible and prioritizing your online activities is crucial with a service that has a monthly cap.