The one hour time limit on edits...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The one hour time limit on edits...

Although the new site is growing on me, I do find the one hour time limit on edits to be a little restrictive, especially when  you are trying to add rolling information to a post.  I was recently replying to a post regarding my Windows updates, and ended up having to post three times in the course of a little over two hours because I couldn't edit the first reply to revise the info as it was changing.

I fully understand not being able to edit a post once someone has either replied to it or replied to another on the thread, but until someone has done so shouldn't we be able to edit our post?

I'm specifically referring to my three successive posts on page two of the following thread (Friday, early evening).  I could simply have added the successive info to my first reply to BirdDog's post.

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Windows-10-Updates-Here-We-Go-Again/td-p/73763/page/...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi GabeU,

Thanks for posting. Let's try out an unlimited time to edit your own posts. At the very least, if there's any question about what was initially posted, the mods can see the edit history for everything.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

While I agree that the one hour limit ... limits one the a single hour .... it pales to the fact that posting a reply that has more content than text butchers the reply to the point where the reply is useless.

GabeU

I think I understand what you are saying.  

GabeU

@Gwalk900 wrote:

While I agree that the one hour limit ... limits one the a single hour .... it pales to the fact that posting a reply that has more content than text butchers the reply to the point where the reply is useless.

Disregard my last reply.  After reading another post, I now understand that there are issues with posting non text content right now.  I haven't experienced any, but I haven't tried to post anything other than text today.  

I originally thought you were referring to threads that got off topic.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I was just venting. Miffed at losing long posts.

maratsade

@Gwalk900, do you mean there's a limit to how long a post can be? ETA: I'm sure there's some kind of a limit.... I meant an unreasonably short one.

No limit on how long the posts can be. Sure need the edit capacity  to remove the trashed and garbled  replies related to graphics  that get trashed.

Hi GabeU,

Thanks for posting. Let's try out an unlimited time to edit your own posts. At the very least, if there's any question about what was initially posted, the mods can see the edit history for everything.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

Thanks, Liz.  

For certain situations that will be very helpful to people.  And it's good that you mods can see the edit history so edits that shouldn't be done once replied to can be reverted by you.  We all know that kind of edit can cause problems.

It's too bad that it can't be set up to have it where a post can't be edited once replied to, but I know different community sites have different options and different rules, so hopefully no one will take advantage of this new ability in the wrong way.  But, again, that you guys can see all edits is very good insurance against that.  

I know the boards are still a work in progress, and with everyone giving their ideas it can end up being a great experience for all.

Thanks again.